News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Short-lived state highways

Started by Quillz, August 23, 2017, 05:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

Did a quick search and couldn't find anything on this.

What are former state highways in your home state that were only around for a very short time?

I was reading up on California's original state highways from 1934, and I think the original CA-3 might be the state's shortest lived. Created in 1934, deleted roughly a year later because the entire alignment was renumbered US-101 Alt. I've also never found a single pic of a CA-3 bear shield, which means the route might not have even been signed, existing only on paper.

sparker

Back in 1964, CA 117 was created on a portion of Junipero Serra Blvd. in the cities of Colma and South San Francisco; it was more or less a "placeholder" for I-280, which was in the planning stages then, but replaced it by 1970.  The 117 designation was moved down south to near the Mexican border in the mid-'70's, replacing an extension of CA 75 from I-5 east to the Otay Mesa area; that became the future I-905 within a few years and re-signed as CA 905 (and yet to receive Interstate signage).  So CA 117 is "twice bitten"; replaced by Interstates in both iterations.  Always wonder where it's going to crop up next!

Mapmikey

NC 144 #2 only existed 1 month.  I do not know if it was posted in the field...

Big John

WI 351 was a short highway just south of Janesville. It was a place holder for the realignment of the WI 11 bypass, when completed it was gone.

amroad17

NY 401 becoming I-390.  I do not believe it was ever signed.  The open section of current I-390 between Dansville and Wayland was signed as NY 245. 
NC 44 just last year.
There are probably many examples from the 1930's-the 1960's from each state.
Yes, I know these are not from Kentucky--I just cannot think of any except maybe if the Mountain Parkway was ever signed as KY 402.  Wait, Mall Road in Florence was signed as KY 3157 for a few years.  Now, I believe Mall Road is city maintained since the road was reconstructed and "spruced up".
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

xcellntbuy

GA 540 on the Fall Line Freeway in middle Georgia was indicated on many maps but I never saw a sign in the three years I have lived here.  It is now GA 243 which was moved out of Milledgeville.

froggie

Though not as short as some of the others cited, both MN 103 #2 and MN 118 #2 lasted less than a decade, until their respective freeways were completed and other routes rerouted onto them.  MN 103 lasted about 5 years and is now part of US 52, while MN 118 lasted around 8-9 years and is now part of US 10.

Here in Vermont, HISTORIC VT 100 in Morrisville lasted less than a year before mainline VT 100 was rerouted back through downtown Morrisville.

Max Rockatansky

AZ 153 was around only from 1992 to 2007, never made much sense to begin with considering the 143 was more than enough to fulfill the purpose of having a feeder route from Sky Harbor.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: froggie on August 23, 2017, 10:20:38 PM
Though not as short as some of the others cited, both MN 103 #2 and MN 118 #2 lasted less than a decade, until their respective freeways were completed and other routes rerouted onto them.  MN 103 lasted about 5 years and is now part of US 52, while MN 118 lasted around 8-9 years and is now part of US 10.

MN 312 (the placeholder for the US 212 freeway through the west metro) only lasted 2-3 years as well.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kurumi

Connecticut Route 319 in Groton lasted 10 days in 1973, between a public announcement of the new signed route and the withdrawal of the plan to sign it. The internal DOT designation lasted longer, but the route was never signed. It's now unsigned SR 614; a newer CT 319 exists in Stafford.

Story: http://www.kurumi.com/roads/ct/ct319.html
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Eth

The Downtown Connector in Atlanta was already under construction before receiving an Interstate designation. US 19/41 were routed on it south of Lakewood Ave (where the GA 166 freeway is today), but the segment north of there up to University Ave (at today's modern north terminus of GA 54) was designated as GA 295. This appears on GDOT's official 1954 and 1955 maps. The 1957 map doesn't show any route number on that segment, and by 1960 it is shown as GA 401 (and I-75, though not I-85, for which construction on the south side had not yet begun).

formulanone

Alabama State Route 604 started to appear on maps in 2009, but was deleted from the state system in 2014.

dvferyance

WI 341 it was only around for like 15 years and never signed. It replaced US 41 between I-94 and National Ave but was alter replaced by WI 175.

Mapmikey

Based on the time frames in a lot of this thread...

Virginia renumbered almost half its state routes in 1923; about half of the system again in Aug 1928; 90% of the much-enlarged system again in July 1933.

I assume motoring in Virginia's early days was quite a confusing experience...

DandyDan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 23, 2017, 10:58:30 PM
Quote from: froggie on August 23, 2017, 10:20:38 PM

MN 312 (the placeholder for the US 212 freeway through the west metro) only lasted 2-3 years as well.
For a few years in the 1970's, MN 17 was Southwest Minnesota's answer to MN 361, as it went west from downtown Luverne to the I-90 interchange at Beaver Creek.  This piece of road used to be US 16.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Brian556

SH 246 in Dallas TX
Connected US 77 to US 75 in South Dallas. Mostly on Illinois Av
Shown to be under construction in 1936. Removed from System 1951
https://www.tsl.texas.gov/arc/maps/images/map4838.jpg

sparker

The original CA 165 (about 1.5 miles of Indiana Street in East Los Angeles) was commissioned in 1964 as part of the renumbering -- but deleted in 1965!  Likewise for the original CA 163 (San Fernando Road between CA 110 and CA 134 in the Cypress Park area of L.A., plus some Glendale mileage); gone by '65.  And CA 215 (old SSR 71/Garey Ave. in Pomona from CA 60 north to CA 66) suffered the same fate (with the number obviously reused on a major regional Interstate).  This was an action instigated by CA Division of Highways District 7, and forwarded to the state legislature, to remove a number of urban routes deemed unnecessary for regional travel from the state maintenance rolls.

Quillz

Quote from: sparker on August 24, 2017, 04:17:40 PM
The original CA 165 (about 1.5 miles of Indiana Street in East Los Angeles) was commissioned in 1964 as part of the renumbering -- but deleted in 1965!  Likewise for the original CA 163 (San Fernando Road between CA 110 and CA 134 in the Cypress Park area of L.A., plus some Glendale mileage); gone by '65.  And CA 215 (old SSR 71/Garey Ave. in Pomona from CA 60 north to CA 66) suffered the same fate (with the number obviously reused on a major regional Interstate).  This was an action instigated by CA Division of Highways District 7, and forwarded to the state legislature, to remove a number of urban routes deemed unnecessary for regional travel from the state maintenance rolls.
I didn't know about either of those two routes. If they indeed lasted less than a full year, then they may be the shortest in California's history. Even CA-3 made it a full year, from what I've read.

sparker

Quote from: Quillz on August 24, 2017, 05:58:22 PM
Quote from: sparker on August 24, 2017, 04:17:40 PM
I didn't know about either of those two routes. If they indeed lasted less than a full year, then they may be the shortest in California's history. Even CA-3 made it a full year, from what I've read.

The first CA 165 (never signed) was originally part of the "Bypass US 101" alignment, which had its northern end at Whittier Blvd. (then US 101), taking the bypass route down to Olympic Blvd. (then SSR 26), and multiplexing with 26 east to Telegraph Road, which the pair took SE through Montebello and Downey; the bypass route, including the Indiana Ave. segment,  was LRN 166.  CA 163 was the pre-Golden State Freeway US 6/99 (part of LRN 4); it extended from CA 110 up Avenue 26 to San Fernando Road, then up that street to CA 134 in Glendale, which until 1969 was routed on Colorado Street and the 4-lane freeway-grade Colorado St. Extension (which is still around), ending at a trumpet interchange at the Golden State Freeway.  Since the parallel freeway was completed in 1962, it's unknown why the original road had not been relinquished by the '64 renumbering -- but they gave it a new number anyway, only to delete the whole thing the following year.  CA 215 was also something that could have been relinquished some time earlier than '65; SSR signage had been removed from it by 1963 when 71 was routed over the Corona Expressway west of Pomona (on the stretch of CA 71 that has yet to be upgraded to full freeway).  It was originally planned to "double back" from the expressway alignment on US 60 (Pomona's 5th Street), but that was deemed too convoluted, so SSR 71 was simply signed along with US 60 up to I-10/US 70/99 (San Bernardino Freeway) until the '64 renumbering.   

bugo

Arkansas 540 in both of its incarnations
Arkansas 549 in and south of Texarkana
Arkansas 471
Arkansas 6 (Brinkley to Helena version)
US 65S (Pine Bluff, AR)
Arkansas 86 (Sevier County version)
Missouri 266 (1950s version, now I-44. It was the connector between the Will Rogers Turnpike in Oklahoma to US 166. It was about 1/2 mile long)
Oklahoma 138
Oklahoma 121
Oklahoma 75C
Oklahoma 97T
Oklahoma 103

nexus73

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

jflick99

East of K-7, K-10 originally followed Shawnee Mission Pkwy, Merriam Dr, and Southwest Blvd to the state line. When K-10 was rerouted into Lenexa in 1984, what was left behind became K-12. By 1987, Shawnee had annexed west of K-7, putting K-12 entirely within city limits. It was decommissioned and turned back over to the cities.

http://www.route56.com/highways/highways.php?hwy=12&seg=1&hist=1

thenetwork

There was an M-2 in Suburban Detroit when the final portion of the I-96/Jeffries Freeway was being constructed through mostly Livonia.  It followed Schoolcraft Road, which became the one-way frontage roads once the Jeffries was completed.  I remember it being signed on the overhead BGSs on Telegraph Road (US-24) at Schoolcraft, and a few reassurance shields along Schoolcraft.

Not much info can be found on M-2 on the internet, which leads me to believe that it was only alive for 2-3 years in the mid-70s, likely when the missing link between Schaeffer Highway and Newburgh Road was under construction and there was an open stretch of the Jeffries between Newburgh/Levan Roads and I-275. 

Urban Prairie Schooner

The 1955 version of LA 32 must have been quite short lived, as I have never seen this route on any route map and it certainly did not exist by 1960.  This route extended from LA 30 (Florida Street) to the State Capitol so it was very short.

US71

Quote from: bugo on August 25, 2017, 11:24:42 AM
Arkansas 540 in both of its incarnations
Arkansas 549 in and south of Texarkana
Arkansas 471
Arkansas 6 (Brinkley to Helena version)
US 65S (Pine Bluff, AR)
Arkansas 86 (Sevier County version)
Missouri 266 (1950s version, now I-44. It was the connector between the Will Rogers Turnpike in Oklahoma to US 166. It was about 1/2 mile long)
Oklahoma 138
Oklahoma 121
Oklahoma 75C
Oklahoma 97T
Oklahoma 103

Arkansas 471S (never posted)
Arkansas 265S
Arkansas 43S
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.