News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Lowest quality numbered highway in your area?

Started by RyanGentry, August 26, 2017, 08:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzakharin

The roads maintained by the National Park Service in the Delaware Water Gap are pretty horrible. Most of them are unnumbered, but some inherit NJ county numbers. This is NPS 606: https://goo.gl/RnBfFV

OCGuy81

Can we count Forest Roads? Plenty of them near my home in Bend, they're numbered, and most aren't even paved.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 28, 2017, 04:28:30 PM
Quote from: doorknob60 on August 28, 2017, 04:13:33 PM
OR-27 from Prineville, OR south to US-20. There is value of a good connection between the two (with some large data centers and warehouses in Prineville, plus as a bypass of Bend). However, OR-27 winds through canyons and difficult terrain, and is not fully paved. I have no idea why it's a state highway, because only a few miles to the west, there is a fully paved, mostly straight and flat county road (Millican Rd.) used for this exact purpose. It would be a logical fit in the state highway system.
Geez looking at both OR-27 and Millican Road the choice between the two would be easy. From what I see Millican Road is a straight direct route to the same place that OR-27 takes you to with OR-27 not being a good route.

I found some document on ODOT's server not too long ago that indicated they are looking at making a jurisdiction swap of those exact two roads with the two counties they go through. While I admit Millican Road -- IIRC also known as the Les Schwab Highway -- would make a much better state highway than the current OR-27, I'll be sad when the last gravel road section gets removed from the state system.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

Pink Jazz

If you only include freeways, I would probably say the worst in the Phoenix area is SR 143.  Old concrete pavement, likely substandard design.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.