News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Old 'American Top 40' shows of the '80s

Started by bandit957, September 21, 2017, 05:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Does anyone else listen to these? A local station rebroadcasts old 'American Top 40' shows of the '80s from back when it was hosted by the late Casey Kasem.

'American Top 40' was a radio show that counted down the 40 most popular songs each week. It was an institution back in the '80s, and had very loyal fans. I used to listen to it back in the '80s too. I thought everyone did.

I think our local station also runs 'American Top 40' shows from the '70s, but they air them at some ungodly hour.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

cjk374

LA 105.3 in Monroe, LA plays them on Sundays around mid-morning, followed by some kind of weekly show hosted by Nina Blackwood. It is usually the best music they play all week.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

PHLBOS

I know that Sirius/XM Channel 7 (aka 70s on 7) will run rebroadcasts of AT40 from the 70s during the weekends.  Usually either the late mornings or early afternoons.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hm insulators

KOOL-FM runs them Saturday mornings. When "American Top 40" originally ran, I listened to them every week for years. It was a ritual: Turn on Casey Kasem, break out the deck of cards and play solitaire.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

cjk374

Quote from: hm insulators on September 21, 2017, 05:45:00 PM
KOOL-FM runs them Saturday mornings. When "American Top 40" originally ran, I listened to them every week for years. It was a ritual: Turn on Casey Kasem, break out the deck of cards and play solitaire.

It was always on Sunday mornings when I was growing up.

Mapmikey

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 21, 2017, 05:24:54 PM
I know that Sirius/XM Channel 7 (aka 70s on 7) will run rebroadcasts of AT40 from the 70s during the weekends.  Usually either the late mornings or early afternoons.

Channel 8 briefly ran the 1980s AT40 too, but now run the same countdowns with the 3 remaining original VJs working there doing the hosting.  Although not quite as nostalgic, doing it this way does allow them to talk about different stuff each time an artist shows up on the countdown including what they have been up to in the last 30+ years...

bandit957

Quote from: cjk374 on September 21, 2017, 05:46:35 PM
It was always on Sunday mornings when I was growing up.

Around here, it was on Sundays from 9 AM to 1 PM in the mid-'80s, but after Shadoe Stevens took over, it became 9 PM to 1 AM on Sunday nights.

BamaZeus

There is a station on IHeart radio out of Austin dedicated to running the old countdowns 24/7.  They'll alternate a 70's show, followed by an 80's show, followed by a 70's show, etc. 

I'll crank it up while I'm mowing the lawn or I'm out and about.

nexus73

King Biscuit Flower Hour.  In Concert being simulcast on TV and radio.  Now that is what made the Seventies hum!  Then we got MTV in the Eighties and things got even better!  Then poof, there went rock.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

cjk374

Quote from: nexus73 on September 22, 2017, 02:28:55 PM
King Biscuit Flour Hour.  In Concert being simulcast on TV and radio.  Now that is what made the Seventies hum!  Then we got MTV in the Eighties and things got even better!  Then poof, there went rock.

Rick

FTFY

In fact, the King Biscuit Blues Festival is coming up next month.

https://kingbiscuitfestival.com

inkyatari

Quote from: cjk374 on September 22, 2017, 04:17:35 PM
King Biscuit Flour Hour.  In Concert being simulcast on TV and radio.  Now that is what made the Seventies hum!  Then we got MTV in the Eighties and things got even better!  Then poof, there went rock.

Rick

FTFY

Flour hour makes more sense, but from what (admittedly little) research I've done, actually shows Flower as the correct spelling.

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

nexus73

Quote from: cjk374 on September 22, 2017, 04:17:35 PM

Rick

FTFY

Caution, for this info from you is Fakestream to say the least!  Check yourself and along the way check the net for some info before posting corrections, mmkay?  I too wondered about the correct spelling so guess what?  I LOOKED FIRST.  Search engines are your friend.

Here's the wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Biscuit_Flower_Hour

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

bugo

King Biscuit Flower Hour.  In Concert being simulcast on TV and radio.  Now that is what made the Seventies hum!  Then we got MTV in the Eighties and things got even better!  Then poof, there went rock.

Rick

Music was never finer than it was in the early to mid 1990s.

bugo

When I was a kid, the Casey Kasem show came on on Sunday mornings. I remember when I had to go to church I would get extremely bored and tell my parents I was sick and that I needed to go sit in the car. In the car, I would listen to the radio and the Kasem show was always on one of the few stations that we could pick up. They played a lot of garbage but it was far better than sitting in church listening to the preacher ramble on about the same damn thing every week.

cjk374

cjk374

bandit957

Quote from: bugo on September 22, 2017, 09:05:56 PM
When I was a kid, the Casey Kasem show came on on Sunday mornings. I remember when I had to go to church I would get extremely bored and tell my parents I was sick and that I needed to go sit in the car. In the car, I would listen to the radio and the Kasem show was always on one of the few stations that we could pick up. They played a lot of garbage but it was far better than sitting in church listening to the preacher ramble on about the same damn thing every week.

I think I just stopped going to church before I discovered Casey was on Sunday mornings around here. There was general agreement that given the choice between Casey and church, Casey wins.

I would schedule my entire weekend around Casey. He was a huge deal back then.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.