PA - US 219 Expressway Could Begin This Year

Started by PAHighways, January 20, 2010, 07:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PAHighways on January 26, 2011, 05:39:51 PM
Tolls An Option To Fund Route 219 Project - WJAC-TV Johnstown

Did anybody else hear what the reported said at the end of the report in the video?  She said "Interstate" instead of highway.

froggie

Doesn't necessarily mean anything.  Reporters confuse the two all the time...

PAHighways

I'd have thought hearing the name "Shuster" would have perked up more ears.

mightyace

^^^

I'm assuming that this is the son of the Bud Shuster of I-99 fame.

If he follows in his dad's footsteps, it might actually become I-219!  :pan:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

PAHighways

Mr_Northside

At least it's still moving ahead enough that they're finishing up right-of-way acquisition, and some utility relocation.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Henry

Quote from: mightyace on January 27, 2011, 02:13:47 PM
^^^

I'm assuming that this is the son of the Bud Shuster of I-99 fame.

If he follows in his dad's footsteps, it might actually become I-219!  :pan:

I-219??? :-D That's even more ridiculous than that I-238 misfit out in the Bay Area!

Whatever happened to I-67? Are they still going to try that number out there?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mightyace

Quote from: Henry on January 31, 2011, 10:22:38 AM
I-219??? :-D That's even more ridiculous than that I-238 misfit out in the Bay Area!

That's the joke.  If Bill Schuster wants to top his dad vis-a-vis I-99, then he needs to something more outrageous and an "I-219" in southern PA would certainly fit the bill. (pun intended)  :sombrero:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

PAHighways

Quote from: Henry on January 31, 2011, 10:22:38 AMWhatever happened to I-67? Are they still going to try that number out there?

That designation was proposed by Bud's congressional neighbor, John Murtha.  Now that he has passed, I doubt it will get an Interstate designation.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PAHighways on January 31, 2011, 04:55:21 PM
Quote from: Henry on January 31, 2011, 10:22:38 AMWhatever happened to I-67? Are they still going to try that number out there?

That designation was proposed by Bud's congressional neighbor, John Murtha.  Now that he has passed, I doubt it will get an Interstate designation.

I still hope it could.  Then my avatar could come to life. :sombrero:

dave19

Quote from: PAHighways on January 27, 2011, 01:59:19 PM
I'd have thought hearing the name "Shuster" would have perked up more ears.
Hey all you Bud lovers (sarcasm), here's a link to an article that recently appeared in the Altoona paper regarding the 10th anniversary of his retirement:
http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/546701/Former-congressman-takes-time-to-teach--hang-out-on-the-farm.html?nav=742
:-D

PAHighways

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Buummu

it is probably going to be signed as a interstate that is way off the grid... such as I-51...

vdeane

Well, it's not like there are any free numbers on the grid.

I believe I-67 has been the suggested number for over a decade now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PAHighways

John Murtha suggested I-67 back in the late 1990s, but now that he has passed on, I would be very surprised if it ever sports Interstate shields.

rickmastfan67

Yeah, if it become an Interstate (most likely the Southern segment that connects to I-68 unless a direct connection is made ever to the Turnpike), it would be an I-x68.

Alps

Quote from: PAHighways on May 16, 2011, 01:00:35 PM
John Murtha suggested I-67 back in the late 1990s, but now that he has passed on, I would be very surprised if it ever sports Interstate shields.
At some point, that corridor will get upgrade money, and it will be an Interstate when it does so. That is my bold prediction.

HighwayMaster

"Guilty until proven innocent" is what I like to say. I will not believe it until construction starts.
Life is too short not to have Tim Hortons donuts.

Mr_Northside

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/news/us/transit-bill-kicks-can-down-the-road-642908/

Most of the article is about the new transportation bill... but towards the end, the representative from Johnstown believes the new bill will be good for getting US-219 done. (Between Somerset & I-68)

Also reporting:
http://articles.dailyamerican.com/2012-07-01/opinion/32497955_1_transportation-bill-provision-toll-credits-appalachian-development-highway-system
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

cpzilliacus

While they are at it, PennDOT and the PTC could get rid of the breezewood-style non-connection between the E-W mainline of the Turnpike and U.S. 219  at Somerset.

Not a chance, right?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ShawnP

Breezewood go away.......no I need my Sheetz.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 10, 2012, 04:58:47 PM
While they are at it, PennDOT and the PTC could get rid of the breezewood-style non-connection between the E-W mainline of the Turnpike and U.S. 219  at Somerset.

Not a chance, right?

Not a chance of that being a part of this particular project.  And I doubt it will be a separate project anytime soon. (Though it would be nice.)

Though for this particular exit, I wouldn't even refer it as a Breezewood-style.  (Though I know why one would.)... Mostly cause I think they're too far apart (the current exit and freeway, I mean) 
I get that the TPK exit would have been signed for US-219 due to it's original routing;  since the freeway didn't come along (and re-route 219) until later, but now that seems outdated. 
But what the situation needs is a completely new interchange with the freeway, and the current exit signed for the local state routes

wphiii

The concept of "Continental 1" is something I just learned about recently, and I have a burning question about it that I didn't think would warrant its own new thread, so this seems like a somewhat appropriate place to ask:

Why is the preferred route the U.S. 219 route as opposed to I-79/I-90 to Buffalo and beyond? Even if the entire 219 corridor is one day made Interstate quality, it seems like 79/90 would still be the more direct route, so why not just go with that and not have to worry about the completed route being contingent on roads that may or may not ever be upgraded to the appropriate level?

NE2

Quote from: wphiii on July 20, 2012, 02:58:01 PM
Why is the preferred route the U.S. 219 route as opposed to I-79/I-90 to Buffalo and beyond?
Because the promoters live on US 219.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.