News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Abandoned bridge finds

Started by FLRoads, June 01, 2010, 06:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLRoads

A couple of long ago abandoned truss bridges in southeastern Mississippi:

Old truss bridge on what was probably the first alignment of U.S. 45 south of Quitman. One has to walk through some woods to get to this bridge. Photo taken 01/10/10.

A full-on view looking towards the north at the old bridge. The bridge ends just north of the truss section. Photo taken 01/10/10.

A view of an old truss bridge that once linked the original alignment of U.S. 49 with the small community of Brooklyn. The second bridge (now carrying MS 149 - also former U.S. 49) is just to the west of this abandoned bridge. Photo taken 05/15/10.

Another view of the once used truss bridge that carried U.S. 49 traffic. Photo taken 05/15/10.

US71

Vicksburg, MS

Centerville, TN
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

agentsteel53

what's with Mississippi having the huge quantity of abandoned bridges?

that is about 50 feet to the side of current US-11.

where is the one in Vicksburg?  I've never seen that one, though I've been there a couple of times.  The US-80 bridge across the Mississippi river is recently abandoned, with the I-20 bridge serving both routes.  I don't have a photo of it online currently.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 01, 2010, 09:16:29 PM

that is about 50 feet to the side of current US-11.

Is this the one near Enterprise? I saw it a couple years ago   :)

where is the one in Vicksburg?  I've never seen that one, though I've been there a couple of times.  The US-80 bridge across the Mississippi river is recently abandoned, with the I-20 bridge serving both routes.  I don't have a photo of it online currently.

It's on Fairground St, off old US 61. Goes over the railroad yard.

mgk920

Well, I do suppose that they are a bit harder to find when they're covered with kudzu!

:spin:

Mike

bugo

One day I was goofing around on Terraserver one day (this was pre-Google Maps) and found this suspicious looking structure crossing the river:

I was in Conway for a historic bridge exhibit at UCA so I decided to drive to Bigelow to check out the suspected bridge.  I drove about a mile down an abandoned road on top of a levee until I couldn't drive any further, then I got out and walked.  Here's what I found:

This is the Bigelow Bridge in Bigelow, AR.  It once carried a railroad and later was retrofitted for road traffic.  At one time it was part of AR 113 Spur.  Before I found the bridge, there were no pictures on the internet of this bridge and a Google search found no mentions of the bridge.  Now there are pictures by several photographers available on Bridgehunter that started showing up soon after I posted my pictures.  I like to think that I "discovered" the bridge.  Most truss bridges are known by the bridgehunting community so it's exciting to find one that was previously unknown.

US71

Duck River Carterville, TN
(lost to flooding May 2010)

Bayou Grappe Aloha, LA

Hudson Creek near Pineville, LA

Brandon

Got a photo essay on one in Bureau County, Illinois on my blog.
http://midamcrossrds.wordpress.com/2010/03/21/hennepin-canal-bridge/
It's being used as part of the trail.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

US71

Calico Rock, AR

Tahlequah, OK

Hartford, AR

Shreveport, LA

Warrensburg, MO

Brandon

Bureau County, Illinois, at 2160 East and Bureau Creek.

It's not even connected to the shore anymore.

Another view, looking straight across.

One good sized flood might just wash it away.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

triplemultiplex

On a 2007 UP vacation, I took some shots of a couple of old bridges on a former alignment of US 41/M28 in Baraga County.  The highway has reverted to an overgrown, two track gravel road that functions as a snowmobile trail in winter.
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=46.56618,-88.31905&z=15&t=S&marker0=46.54133%2C-88.53708%2Ccovington\%2C%20mi

First one is over the Tioga River:

Second one was partially collapsed and smaller, prefab steel bridge with a wooden deck had been placed on top of it.  It crosses Lateral Creek.

Even cooler was this spot a mile or two west of the bridges where the old highway crossed an equally long abandoned railroad.  The fact that the rails and ties are still in place after all these decades makes it pretty unique for this part of the country.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

froggie

QuoteIs this the one near Enterprise?

Yes it is.

US71

US 65 Pomme de Terre River north of Springfield, MO  Built 1929, Abandoned 1979, Demolished 2008

Big Springs, NE

Leland, MS

Green Valley Creek MO 14 near Nixa, MO

bugo

Hot Rod Hootenanny

"Found" this bridge in 2002 along an abandoned routing of US 42 in NE Morrow County

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

triplemultiplex

Stumbled across this beauty while trout fishing on state land in Sheboygan County recently.  It spans a tiny, unnamed Milwaukee River tributary.

Judging by the age of the vegetation in the path of whatever logging road used this bridge and the decay of the planks, it has be at least 50 years since it last saw a vehicle.  It might even predate WWII. I'm usually good at picking out old road grades and skid trails in the woods but in this case I could not tell where the old road went.  What a cool find.  I like how part of the fence/guard rail is still intact.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

D-Dey65

Aw, dammit! I could've taken a pic of one that runs parallel to New York State Route 25-25A over the Nissequogue River!

US71

This WAS a bridge... probably about 40 years ago:

Along old US 71 near Rich Hill, MO at Missouri Pacific Railroad.

Dougtone

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 24, 2010, 12:48:20 PM
Aw, dammit! I could've taken a pic of one that runs parallel to New York State Route 25-25A over the Nissequogue River!

The rail bridge?

Or the Mill Dam Road bridge, which I don't think I've seen, even though I grew up in Smithtown.

Roadgeek Adam

Two bridge abutments (one I have yet to photograph)

The first is the Point Pleasant-Byram Bridge over the Delaware River. The bridge, considered a money loser, was demolished (the truss portion) in Hurricane Diane in 1955.

The second is the old Changewater Truss Bridge in Changewater, New Jersey. The truss bridge served the Hampton Branch of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad was dismantled in 1958, but not yet without death. Someone fell to his death from the bridge, which lasted high above Changewater. The truss bridge's large piers stand on Changewater Road, they are definitely something to see. (No photos yet)
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

D-Dey65

Quote from: Dougtone on June 28, 2010, 06:14:38 PM

The rail bridge?

Or the Mill Dam Road bridge, which I don't think I've seen, even though I grew up in Smithtown.
No, it's north of the rail bridge, but south of the bridge that currently serves Routes 25-25A. The Mill Dam Road bridge you're thinking of is on a private road(I almost though you were talking about the one in Centerport). This looks like it might've been Old Jericho Turnpike 75-100 years ago, and could still serve as a pedestrian crossing if Suffolk County Department of Parks & Recreation would clean up the brush blocking the old ROW.

Dougtone

Grabbed a picture of said bridge yesterday, and it's currently still on my camera.  It is a small pony truss bridge, but I'm not sure if it's the old bridge for NY 25/NY 25A, since it's so very narrow.

Alps

Quote from: Dougtone on July 25, 2010, 06:32:20 AM

Grabbed a picture of said bridge yesterday, and it's currently still on my camera.  It is a small pony truss bridge, but I'm not sure if it's the old bridge for NY 25/NY 25A, since it's so very narrow.

Still there in the 1954 historic aerial next to the modern road.  Could have been the original 1920's or earlier bridge on the original road, is all I can guess.

mobilene

Late to the party here, but here's my favorite abandoned bridge in Indiana, a concrete arch that carried US 40 just west of Plainfield, Indiana, until the 1930s.  Deck:

Abandoned National Road/US 40 by mobilene, on Flickr

Side view -- clearly visible from the current US 40 bridge, but most people never notice it as they whiz by:

Abandoned US 40 bridge by mobilene, on Flickr

Abandoned IL 127 bridge just south of I-70:

Abandoned IL 127 bridge by mobilene, on Flickr

Abandoned IL 127 bridge by mobilene, on Flickr

Abandoned, never used bridge on US 50 west of Carlyle, IL.  There are several of these in an area where US 50 was planned to be an expressway but it never materialized.

Abandoned, never used US 50 bridge by mobilene, on Flickr

This isn't much of a picture of this (I thought) abandoned bridge on Old SR 37 in Indiana near Martinsville, but it's noteworthy because it's less abandoned and more private property, which I learned when the police officer came to chase me away.

Abandoned bridge by mobilene, on Flickr
jim grey | Indianapolis, Indiana

D-Dey65

Quote from: Dougtone on July 25, 2010, 06:32:20 AM
Grabbed a picture of said bridge yesterday, and it's currently still on my camera.  It is a small pony truss bridge, but I'm not sure if it's the old bridge for NY 25/NY 25A, since it's so very narrow.
Be sure to let us know when you get it out of the camera.

Quote from: AlpsROADS on July 26, 2010, 07:40:13 PM
Still there in the 1954 historic aerial next to the modern road.  Could have been the original 1920's or earlier bridge on the original road, is all I can guess.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Is the map online, or do I have wait for another return trip to New York to find it in a library's historic archives?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.