News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Bridges you've walked across

Started by kurumi, June 03, 2010, 12:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfilpus

In Virginia, I walked across the James River on the pedestrian walkway suspended below the Blue Ridge Parkway.

SP Cook

New River Gorge Bridge on US 19/Corridor L - Day it opened in 1977 and one "Bridge Day" event a few years ago (I strongly recomend against "Bridge Day").

Phill G. McDonald Bridge on I-64 - Day it opened in 1988.  Last gap in the original Interstate system where the alternate was 2 lane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phill_G._McDonald

Roebling Suspension Bridge - Cincinnati - Covington (KY 17)

Of less significance:

Old 6th Street Bridge (now replaced) - Huntington, WV
35th Street Bridge - Charleston, WV
South Side Bridge - Charleston, WV

Alps

Limiting it to noteworthy bridges, there are but three, two of which occurred at a meet:
New River Gorge Bridge, WV
Bulkeley Bridge, Hartford CT
Woodrow Wilson Bridge, VA-DC-MD

Oh, and the Hoover Dam.

I have of course walked over plenty of other bridges, especially covered bridges and trusses, but I'd have to spend effort to look up their names, meaning they can't be all that important.

Quote from: SP Cook on September 18, 2010, 11:55:50 AM
New River Gorge Bridge on US 19/Corridor L - Day it opened in 1977 and one "Bridge Day" event a few years ago (I strongly recomend against "Bridge Day").
Why? Besides the weather, it seemed enjoyable.

Marc

I can think of two bridges:

1. Main St. Bridge, Jacksonville, FL
2. Royal Gorge Bridge, Cañon City, CO

bulldog1979

As any good Michiganian, I've walked the Mackinac Bridge several times now. As a resident of the Grand Rapids area now, I've walked on several of the bridges across the Grand River

One of my favorites to walk across though is the Steel Bridge on County Road 510 (old M-35) in Marquette County. It's a Pennsylvania through truss bridge moved from the Allegheny River to cross the Dead River in Marquette County. The one-lane bridge is still there, although later this fall the county road commission will be opening a replacement span just upriver. The original span will be closed to vehicles but retained for non-motorized traffic.

As seen in 1922 when the road was still M-35:

265 ft. High Truss Bridge, Dead River near Marquette on Trunk Line No. 35.
Negaunee Township, Marquette County. 52001

mobilene

I have walked across countless bridges because I love to photograph them.  But here's a smattering of bridges on highways, current or former:

On an abandoned segment of US 50 in Illinois, there are three truss bridges in a row.  Here's one:

Abandoned US 50 bridge over Little Wabash River by mobilene, on Flickr

Wilson's Bridge over the Conococheague in Maryland, formerly US 40:

Wilson's Bridge by mobilene, on Flickr

This Parker through truss on Indiana State Road 42 -- on which I learned that a 20-foot-wide deck doesn't accommodate me and two oncoming F-150s at the same time:

Steel truss bridge, Mill Creek by mobilene, on Flickr

This tired old lady on a long-since-decommissioned stretch of US 31 in southern Indiana:

Old bridge by mobilene, on Flickr

This concrete arch bridge on old US 52 in Indianapolis while it was being demolished:

Week Three by mobilene, on Flickr

Week Three by mobilene, on Flickr

jim grey | Indianapolis, Indiana

ghYHZ

I've walked the Confederation Bridge twice. (13 km (8 miles) between New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island)

First time was in June 1997, the day the bridge opened. You were able to take the Ferry over to PEI (they were making their last runs that day) and walk back.

......Then again last weekend. The bridge was closed for 6 hours for the 30th Anniversary of the Terry Fox Run for Cancer Research. Since the ferries are no longer running for the return trip, I walked to the mid-point then back to New Brunswick. Still 13km but not the same as walking all the way across!   

D-Dey65

Last weekend I walked across this narrow thing on Florida SR 200 for the sole purpose of taking pictures of it:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:NB_Florida_SR_200_Bridge;_Withlacoochee_River.JPG

Actually, I ran... when I wasn't holding on tight to the concrete railing and hoping it didn't crumble in my hands sending me down in the swamp.

Revive 755

* Old Chain of Rocks Main Channel Bridge
* Old Gravois Road Meramec River Bridge at Fenton, MO (recently demolished)
* US 61-67 bridge across the Meramec River
* I-72/New Mark Twain Bridge (Mississippi River) - During the opening day
* That purple pedestrian bridge across the Ohio in the Cincinnati area
* Smithfield Street Bridge in Pittsburgh, PA
* New US 40 Missouri River Bridge at Booneville (walking/bicycle combo)
* Clark Bridge (US 67 across the Mississippi, biked across using the debris-covered bike lanes)
* Old Chain of Rocks Canal Bridge (biked across a few times, many before the new bike lane was added)
* I-44 bridge in St. Louis across the River Dispair (had the right job at the right time)

Partly Crossed
* Eads Bridge
* The Old US 21 Ohio River Bridge
* The stone arch bridge across the Mississippi in Minneapolis west of the I-35W bridge
* The Poplar Street Bridge (yes the one carrying three interstates over the Mississippi - another case where one can get interesting experiences by getting the right job  :biggrin:  Really wish I had a camera available that day.)

D-Dey65

Besides that bridge on FL 200, I've also walked across the US 41 bridge over the same river between Citrus Springs and Dunnellon on the same day. In June 2010 I walked across the NY 25-25A Bridge over the Nissequogue River so I could take some pictures of the Smithtown Bull, and walked across the parallel foot bridge that I mentioned on another thread.

I know these really aren't that big, but they're all I can brag about.

I've also walked across the Long Beach Bridge at one time(don't ask me why), and every now and then I've had dreams of walking across the Whitestone Bridge for some reason. In that dream, I always encounter some nuns along the way.

jdbx

I was among the first to cross the Alfred Zampa Bridge (I-80 Carquinez Strait) on the day of the chain-cutting ceremony, before it was opened to vehicular traffic.  That ceremony had the odd distinction of being officiated by former Governor Gray Davis, who had just been recalled a few weeks earlier.  I'm not sure how I convinced my wife to accompany me on that bit of road geekery...  :biggrin:

I also walked across the the original 1927 Carquinez span on it's 50th birthday celebration when I was 7 years old.

I've cycled across the Benicia Bridge (I-680), although the question was "walked", so maybe that doesn't count.

I've walked and cycled across the Golden Gate Bridge many times.

I'm looking forward to the new bike/pedestrian lane on the new east span of the Bay Bridge, although I'm not sure how much good it does being able to walk or ride to Treasure Island until they finish the path across the west span too.

NE2

Quote from: SP Cook on September 18, 2010, 11:55:50 AM
Phill G. McDonald Bridge on I-64 - Day it opened in 1988.  Last gap in the original Interstate system where the alternate was 2 lane.
Nope - Wallace, Idaho and its traffic light was bypassed in 1991.

I've walked the George Washington Bridge and the I-66 bridge over the Potomac.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

D-Dey65

At some point before I die, I want to walk across the Bear Mountain Bridge.

golden eagle

I've walked across the Hoover Dam bridge (not the new one!) when I was out there in 2008.

njroadhorse

Quote from: golden eagle on January 27, 2011, 11:34:20 AM
I've walked across the Hoover Dam bridge (not the new one!) when I was out there in 2008.
That's a fun walk, except I was on the wrong side once i got to Arizona, so I was pinned between the US 93 traffic and the rocks there. :-D
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Brandon

I've walked across a fair number of bridges while surveying them, or looking for survey marks on them (mostly small county or township road bridges).  However, the most notable ones would have to be the Scherzer rolling lift bridges here in Joliet.  I've walked across all four (Jackson St, Cass St, Jefferson St, & McDonough St).  There's only a limited number of this type of lift bridge, and there's four here.  The other most notable bridge I've walked across (on both levels) would be the Portage Lake Lift Bridge in Houghton and Hancock, MI.  I've walked across numerous bridges in Chicago's Loop, including Michigan Ave (both levels).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kharvey10

I walked a lot of smaller ones in my time but the bigger ones I done is the old Chain of Rocks and the Eads

Alps

I can now add the Lindbergh Viaduct to the list.  It's in Reading, PA and reminiscent of something from a California canyon in the 1930s.

jonathanz

I have walked all the possible bridges you can walk from Northern Kentucky to Downtown Cincinnati.

These walkable bridges include:

Clay Wade Bailey Bridge which carries US 25, 127 & 42, it is a nice walk especially when you are heading to Paul Brown Stadium for a Bengals game, plus traffic on the Covington side isn't nearly as bad, the end of the bridge marks the end of US 25.

John Roebling Suspension Bridge which carries KY 17 across the Ohio River and actually maintains its numbering on the Ohio side of the bridges as it is maintained by KYTC, it is heavily traveled by pedestrians during both baseball and football season as it is in between Paul Brown Stadium and Great American Ball Park. I assume that once the "Banks" project is completed it will garner even more pedestrians. It is also popular as the predecessor to the much taller and longer Brooklyn Bridge but is still an icon of the region.

Taylor-Southgate Bridge which carries US 27 from Newport into downtown Cincinnati in between US Bank Arena and Great American Ball Park

Newport Southbank Bridge aka Purple People Bridge is a pedestrian only bridge connecting the entertainment district of Newport on the Levee with Sawyer Point/Centennial Park in Cincinnati. It is one of the oldest crossings connecting Cincinnati with Northern Kentucky the orgininal span was opened 1872 and reconstructed in 1896.

There are also two bridges in the downtown area that cross the Licking River in Kentucky which are also pedestrian friendly these are:

4th/5th Street Bridge which crosses the Licking River just south of its confluence with the Ohio River connecting Covington, Kentucky with Newport, Kentucky. It carries KY 8 East and West and then splits onto the One Way 4th and 5th streets.

11th/12th Street Bridge officially Licking Valley Girl Scout Bridge just a few blocks south of the 4th/5th street bridge also connects Covington and Newport. It carries KY 1120 East and West and just as the other bridge splits onto the One Way streets of 11th and 12th.

These are two of only 4 bridges that connect Kenton County with Campbell County over the Licking River the other two being the I-275 Bridge connecting Taylor Mill with Wilder and KY 536 connecting Visalia with Alexandria.

I have some really good pictures of the Robeling Bridge is anyone can give me some tips I will upload them.

Build the roads and the jobs will follow.

rickmastfan67

Walked accross the PA Turnpike 576 WB bridge to PA-60 NB (now I-376 WB) back when they had the open house day for that expressway opening.

I plan to walk across the Ft. Duquesne Bridge this spring/summer if I get the chance.

hobsini2

Brooklyn Bridge, New York:
I walked across it back about 6 years ago.  Something i just always wanted to do and it was alot longer than i thought but it was the best pics i took of the NY skyline at night.  Wish I knew where those pics are. 
Draw bridges in Chicago:
I have crossed several of these.  I know for sure Jackson Blvd., Orleans St., State St., Wabash Ave., and Michigan Ave.
I-355 Des Plaines River Birdge:
When the 355 extension to I-80 was completed, the first day it was open to just ped and bike traffic.  About 1 1/2 miles long.
Oregon St/Jackson St Bridge in Oshkosh:
Once walked with my grandfather from his old house at 1901 Kensington St to Park Plaza Mall and back when I was 10 or so.  All the bridges over the Fox east of US 41 are draw bridges.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

aridawn

nexus73

On 101 I have walked across the McCullough Bridge by North Bend OR and the Rogue River bridge by Gold Beach OR.  If you are lucky in terms of the brush you can see the original road underneath the northeast staircase of the McCullough Bridge that led to the ferry which served Coos Bay prior to the bridge's finish in 1936. 

There's no bridge there anymore due to the 1964 massive flooding but I have explored the south stub of the Klamath River bridge, which is across the river from Klamath CA.  There's a pair of big bears to see there, just like the ones on the current 101 bridge!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

roadrunner0152

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.