News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Kansas City

Started by Chris, April 26, 2009, 04:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Quote from: Chris on April 27, 2009, 05:30:53 AM
Exit numbering is also interesting on the downtown loop.

I guess downtown Kansas City is one of the best served downtowns in the U.S. by freeways.
I agree. BTW, I think the reason that I, O and Z are not used as suffixes is because they would be confused with numbers (1, 0 and 2, respectively).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

intelati49

Quote from: Alex on July 16, 2015, 11:09:53 AM
Was the interchange at the Jackson Curve on Interstate 70 meant to tie into the Crosstown Expressway leading east? Also what was planned to tie into I-70 at Myrtle Avenue (Exit 5B)?

For both questions, the answer is that the South East trafficway was going to tie into I-70. That road was meant the tie into Swope parkway east of the Blue river.

There was an alternative route for I-70 or the "Southeast freeway" that lead from that same location to Paseo and US71 (South Midtown Freeway)

Source: 1956 Expressway plan

Alex

Quote from: intelati49 on July 16, 2015, 05:36:03 PM
Quote from: Alex on July 16, 2015, 11:09:53 AM
Was the interchange at the Jackson Curve on Interstate 70 meant to tie into the Crosstown Expressway leading east? Also what was planned to tie into I-70 at Myrtle Avenue (Exit 5B)?

For both questions, the answer is that the South East trafficway was going to tie into I-70. That road was meant the tie into Swope parkway east of the Blue river.

There was an alternative route for I-70 or the "Southeast freeway" that lead from that same location to Paseo and US71 (South Midtown Freeway)

Source: 1956 Expressway plan

Thanks for that, I am writing up a blog post from our drive through Kansas City last month and was wondering about both turns of I-70 with the 45 MPH speed advisory signs. I posted a map scan from 1961 of Kansas City to the Interstate 29 Guide and saw both stubs acknowledged but never found them elsewhere.

J N Winkler

The expressway plan called for relaxed standards anyway--ISTR a throwaway reference to minimum horizontal and vertical curve radii of 1000 ft.  For this reason, as well as the fact that Kansas City streets have a rather low unit lane width (10 ft, I think), I generally prefer to bypass KC on I-435 and I-470 unless I actually have a destination within town, or am looking at the infrastructure itself.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Revive 755

From the 1978 Transportation Plan for the Kansas City area:

Revive 755

Dusting of this thread . . .

This blog has a couple interesting scans I don't recall seeing before, including a map that shows the unbuilt east-west facility between the Jackson Curve on I-70 and I-35 as MO Route 735:
Link

dvferyance

Quote from: mightyace on May 07, 2009, 03:21:06 PM
Quote from: Bryant5493 on April 27, 2009, 09:35:24 PM
^^ That's the weirdest exit numbering scheme I've ever seen. I haven't seen an exit with a suffix above "D."

IIRC Many years ago, I remember traveling I-43 just north of I-94 and seeing an exit 1U.

Now, this was before I-43 was extended to Beloit.
I remember that too my guess is they used higher letters to avoid confusion with the nearby I-794 exits. I-794 has an exit 1H and I-894 and an exit 1E. Not to mention I-90/94 in Chicago has an exit 51I.

rte66man

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 05, 2016, 10:36:56 PM
Dusting of this thread . . .

This blog has a couple interesting scans I don't recall seeing before, including a map that shows the unbuilt east-west facility between the Jackson Curve on I-70 and I-35 as MO Route 735:
Link

Wow, quite a find.  Thanks for posting.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Alex

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 23, 2010, 01:06:49 PM
Map excerpt to show the unbuilt routes and the alignment change west of the downtown loop from the plan.  The black dashes are freeways, the white dashes are alternatives, the dashes filled with diagonal lines are expressways.

Could you repost this map? Was wondering more about the wide median at the north end of the Turkey Creek Expressway, where I-35 overtakes the Southwest Trafficway. Is this what Jonathan was referring to?

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 21, 2010, 06:01:06 AM
*  What is now the I-35 Turkey Creek Expressway is shown as full freeway to the 63rd Street corridor (then US 50), and "expressway-other" (not freeway) south of there.  An alternate routing was suggested for part of it, which would have paralleled Southwest Blvd. on the south rather than the north.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.