News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tappan Zee work started?

Started by Pete from Boston, May 30, 2013, 06:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 11, 2017, 08:47:21 AM
It will probably always be known as the Tappan Zee Bridge by most everyone.

I believe the plan is to revise all the signs directing motorists to the new bridge to show its new name.  Which will, in turn, lead to navigation software/GPS systems to eventually refer to the bridge by what it's signed as.

So we'll have GPSes stating "Take Interstate two-eighty-seven/Interstate eighty-seven towards Tappan Zee Bridge/Mario Cuomo Junior Bridge towards Suffern."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kkt

No naming public facilities after people who haven't been dead for at least 10 years.

And renaming them should require a favorable vote of the people.

empirestate

Quote from: kkt on September 11, 2017, 04:40:04 PM
No naming public facilities after people who haven't been dead for at least 10 years.

Popularly or electorally?

kalvado

Quote from: empirestate on September 11, 2017, 07:01:05 PM
Quote from: kkt on September 11, 2017, 04:40:04 PM

Popularly or electorally?
I assume approval was received by virtue of electing those officials to the respective  office? </sarcasm>

kalvado

Quote from: roadman on September 11, 2017, 01:40:43 PM

I believe the plan is to revise all the signs directing motorists to the new bridge to show its new name.  Which will, in turn, lead to navigation software/GPS systems to eventually refer to the bridge by what it's signed as.

So we'll have GPSes stating "Take Interstate two-eighty-seven/Interstate eighty-seven towards Tappan Zee Bridge/Mario Cuomo Junior Bridge towards Suffern."
Whatever it takes - as of right now, Google maps, Bing maps and Yahoo maps do not use bridge name as part of directions (I used Albany NY to Tarrytown train station). For them it is I-87/I287. Waze still calls it Tappan Zee.

zzyzx

Here's a new timelapse video showing the past 4 years of construction:

bzakharin

Quote from: kalvado on September 12, 2017, 05:14:54 PM

Whatever it takes - as of right now, Google maps, Bing maps and Yahoo maps do not use bridge name as part of directions (I used Albany NY to Tarrytown train station). For them it is I-87/I287. Waze still calls it Tappan Zee.

I'd imagine that most GPS turn by turn navigation pretty much reads the overhead sign, so e.g. from US 9W the GPS would say something like "Take the exit toward I-87/I-287 Tappan Zee Bridge" (my GPS often omits directions and only lists the first destination on the sign). That said, as long as what the GPS says matches what the sign says, I don't see anyone getting lost.

kalvado

Quote from: bzakharin on September 14, 2017, 10:30:09 AM
Quote from: kalvado on September 12, 2017, 05:14:54 PM

I'd imagine that most GPS turn by turn navigation pretty much reads the overhead sign, so e.g. from US 9W the GPS would say something like "Take the exit toward I-87/I-287 Tappan Zee Bridge" (my GPS often omits directions and only lists the first destination on the sign). That said, as long as what the GPS says matches what the sign says, I don't see anyone getting lost.
Tappan Zee bridge is part of I-87/I287,  so "get on I-87 south" is good enough set of directions. There is no explicit need to use the bridge name.

bzakharin

Of course there's no need. I'm just reporting to you how my GPS announces an upcoming exit, and it's
"Take exit [number if available] toward [all route shields on the sign, sometimes minus direction], [first control point, sometimes second one too]"

empirestate

Quote from: kalvado on September 14, 2017, 11:17:30 AM
Tappan Zee bridge is part of I-87/I287,  so "get on I-87 south" is good enough set of directions. There is no explicit need to use the bridge name.

Well, I don't know...one of my biggest peeves with GPS systems is that they aren't oriented towards local familiarity. Sometimes when I punch in directions to a place, the first and most important piece of information I want to know is whether I'm taking the Tappan Zee, say, or the Bear Mountain Bridge. Granted, GPS systems aren't really designed for the big picture, but there's the need, regardless.

PHLBOS

FYI, inbound traffic will move to the new outbound span late this Friday night & the old bridge will be closed to traffic for good.

Anyone wishing to drive on the old bridge for at least one last time will need to do so prior to then.  Press Release
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Rothman

Drive across the old bridge that was infamous for punch-throughs?  Why would you do that when there's a perfectly good, brand new bridge? :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: empirestate on September 14, 2017, 05:06:01 PM

Well, I don't know...one of my biggest peeves with GPS systems is that they aren't oriented towards local familiarity...

If you need a GPS to get around your own neighborhood...

But, realistically, there is no need for naming different things.  A GPS's primarily responsibility is to get you from point A to point B.  After all, while you may want to know the bridge you're using, maybe someone else wants to see the nickname of the highway, or an interchange in memory of someone.  When there's information overload, GPSs become annoying and confusing.

empirestate

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 03, 2017, 10:13:38 AM
Quote from: empirestate on September 14, 2017, 05:06:01 PM

Well, I don't know...one of my biggest peeves with GPS systems is that they aren't oriented towards local familiarity...

If you need a GPS to get around your own neighborhood...

What's the rest of the sentence?

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 03, 2017, 10:13:38 AM
But, realistically, there is no need for naming different things.  A GPS's primarily responsibility is to get you from point A to point B.  After all, while you may want to know the bridge you're using, maybe someone else wants to see the nickname of the highway, or an interchange in memory of someone.  When there's information overload, GPSs become annoying and confusing.

Right, which is why it's useful to hear "head towards the Bear Mountain Bridge" rather than "head northwest for one hundred and fifty feet, then turn right".

PHLBOS

Quote from: empirestate on October 03, 2017, 01:33:04 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 03, 2017, 10:13:38 AMIf you need a GPS to get around your own neighborhood...
He's leaving that up to the reader (i.e. Reader's Choice).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 03, 2017, 01:44:52 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 03, 2017, 10:13:38 AMIf you need a GPS to get around your own neighborhood...

Yep...you know where I was going with that.

kalvado

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 03, 2017, 02:13:03 PM

OK, my bet is

If you need a GPS to get around your own neighborhood, you probably have enough traffic problems to use GPS software for latest traffic information!

cl94

Quote from: kalvado on October 03, 2017, 02:25:05 PM

OK, my bet is

If you need a GPS to get around your own neighborhood, you probably have enough traffic problems to use GPS software for latest traffic information!

Not necessarily. A lot of people with dementia use GPS to get to/from the store, making health issues of that type harder to identify from memory loss.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jeffandnicole

I remember my cousin before he started driving would take the bus very often from his home to the nearby shopping mall.  When he got his license (20 years ago, so pre-GPS), he had no clue how to get to the mall.  He never watched where the bus went.

Even worse - it was literally just 2 roads he needed to take. He had no clue where he had to turn.

kalvado

Quote from: cl94 on October 03, 2017, 02:26:57 PM

OK, my bet is

Not necessarily. A lot of people with dementia use GPS to get to/from the store, making health issues of that type harder to identify from memory loss.
well, my point is that saying GPS is a sign of a problem with the driver is not the only option. I do fire up Waze on my commute to get traffic/hazard warnings.
And with all the modern IT we're less relying on memory these days, more on general information accessibility. Which may be seen a bad thing or a good thing - but that is the general trend.

empirestate

Quote from: kalvado on October 03, 2017, 03:02:29 PM

OK, my bet is

well, my point is that saying GPS is a sign of a problem with the driver is not the only option. I do fire up Waze on my commute to get traffic/hazard warnings.
And with all the modern IT we're less relying on memory these days, more on general information accessibility. Which may be seen a bad thing or a good thing - but that is the general trend.

Well, guess I'll just leave the speculation up to those who need a GPS to get around their own neighborhood, since they aren't the subject of my remarks. :-P

froggie

Further proof that GPS's have made Americans dumber at geography....

PHLBOS

OK, my bet is

Do you know somebody that uses actually such for that very reason or are you simply speculating?

Think about your comment real long & hard for a moment.  If one is suffering memory loss through dementia, they could very easily forget how to properly use their GPS device to get to their destination.  Additionally, it's usually not recommended to have one w/severe dementia to be left alone.

BTW, having recently lost a relative (my 80-year-old mother) through dementia; I can tell you a GPS device would have not made her navigation any easier. 

Nearly a year ago, as a passenger in my vehicle while en route to a doctor's office in Danvers, MA; she was asking if we were crossing over the Mass Pike (I-90), a highway that's about 30 miles away.  She was obviously referring to Route 128 (we were on Endicott St./128's Exit 24).  Imagine what would've happened had she been using a GPS.

Quote from: froggie on October 04, 2017, 07:16:36 AMFurther proof that GPS's have made Americans dumber at geography....
Agree wholeheartedly, and that's exactly what J&N was discretely trying to convey in his earlier post.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

I remember when my great Aunt was first starting to get dementia.  She was fine for the driving and the navigating; the problem was that she would forget where she was going!

I know someone who uses a GPS for just about everything.  He's in his late 80s, so clearly he's worked without a GPS before, but got hooked (he's also still working, though he's been here long enough that he now arguably has had two careers instead of one).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PHLBOS

Back to the actual subject at hand; based on the earlier-posted press release, the lane closures in preparation for the big shift will commence at 9 PM this Friday.

If one's travel plans normally involve going through this area at that time of night (or later); consider taking an alternate route/river crossing.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.