AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: Today at 04:30:03 PM 
Started by I-39 - Last post by Roadgeekteen
WHY would it "require" booths again? DONT build them! YOU overthink (or dont?) such basic things. The bridge is the big money maintenance item, thats ALL that needs be tolled. The existing booths accomplish that. Try "thinking outside the envelope" h2. If that doesnt work, just put the stamp on upside down. :spin:

And I feel really bad that YOU dont give me much "credibility". Hillarryous.
What's up with You?

on: Today at 04:29:08 PM 
Started by 7/8 - Last post by jakeroot
One could argue that a 20cm traffic signal lens is probably sufficiently visible most of the time too.  However, given that (to my knowledge), no North American jurisdiction still uses 20cm signal heads on new installations, there is probably some empirical evidence to suggest that while a 20cm signal head may be sometimes acceptable, it is not as desirable as a 30cm signal head.

The FHWA permits 20 cm signal heads if the signal head is less than 120 feet from the stop line (from what I could extract from the link just before), though the recommendation is just to use 30 cm signal heads all the time. Overall, very few agencies still install 20 cm signal heads (Seattle is one place that I still see it, as well as New York).

British Columbia is probably the only place left in North America that actually requires 20 cm signal heads, depending on where the signal is installed. See page 86 from this PDF for a full guide. From my experience, near-side protected left turn signal heads are about half and half 20-20-20 or 20-20-30 (third lens is green arrow). Auxiliary signal heads (on the masts, both near and far) are often 20-20-20, or 20-20-20-30 if there's a bi-modal arrow lens at the bottom (though 20-20-20-20 bi-modal auxiliary signal heads are not uncommon). 30 cm signal heads for all signals in an intersection are not uncommon, but have (wait for it) mostly fallen out of favour. They used to be more common, but newer installations are mostly a mix of 20 and 30 cm signal heads.

Here's an example that I drew up a while back of a typical intersection setup. Measurements are obviously imperial:

on: Today at 04:24:18 PM 
Started by 1 - Last post by kphoger
If you're a man, any spare bottles of lotion (a) should never be mentioned and (b) should be so old and unused that they've dried to a paste.

How can people not know these things?

on: Today at 04:23:59 PM 
Started by dzlsabe - Last post by Roadgeekteen
It's because he replies to everyone as though they're idiots for not agreeing with him about everything.  It's easy to tolerate out-there ideas (FritzOwl) or newbie ignorance or just plain snark (me) or honest disagreements but, when someone refuses to get off his high horse and insults everyone else, then he's gonna get backlash.  It's the way of the world.

Honestly, if he succeeded in preventing nay-sayers from posting in his threads, then there would be hardly anyone left posting in them at all.
isn't he nine?

on: Today at 04:22:57 PM 
Started by 1 - Last post by Roadgeekteen
No I don't own moisturizer.  Because I'm a man.

Now, there is nothing wrong with preventing dry and cracked hands!

In that case, you borrow your wife's lotion.  At night, when no one else is around.  And you don't talk about it.
But what if I already have spare bottles of lotion?
How did this thread get so off topic?

on: Today at 04:22:18 PM 
Started by bugo - Last post by noelbotevera
I almost was added to this list. Long story short, I nearly fell into the New River because of some algae. Right next to Sandstone Falls.

on: Today at 04:21:53 PM 
Started by dzlsabe - Last post by kphoger
It's because he replies to everyone as though they're idiots for not agreeing with him about everything.  It's easy to tolerate out-there ideas (FritzOwl) or newbie ignorance or just plain snark (me) or honest disagreements but, when someone refuses to get off his high horse and insults everyone else, then he's gonna get backlash.  It's the way of the world.

Honestly, if he succeeded in preventing nay-sayers from posting in his threads, then there would be hardly anyone left posting in them at all.

on: Today at 04:19:02 PM 
Started by 1 - Last post by noelbotevera

In that case, you borrow your wife's lotion.  At night, when no one else is around.  And you don't talk about it.
But what if I already have spare bottles of lotion?

on: Today at 04:17:13 PM 
Started by 1 - Last post by kphoger

on: Today at 04:14:48 PM 
Started by dzlsabe - Last post by Roadgeekteen
Dzl: You are not our buddy.
everyone is so mean to him.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.