AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: Today at 04:34:53 AM 
Started by CapeCodder - Last post by Bickendan
Mine: http://tm.teresco.org/user/region.php?units=km&u=Bickendan&rg=DEU

on: Today at 04:07:17 AM 
Started by Bickendan - Last post by Bickendan
I'll have to look into the Tualatin-Sherwood plans that were being kicked around a few years ago. I think the more modest proposals were favored by the communities.

on: Today at 03:54:15 AM 
Started by Roadgeekteen - Last post by jp the roadgeek
A more interesting poll/survey would be to ask how many different teams each of us knows or knew a fan of personally.  Be interesting to see if any New Englanders know a Texans or Jags fan, or if someone in California knows a Bills or Bengals fan.

on: Today at 03:44:48 AM 
Started by empirestate - Last post by CNGL-Leudimin
Continuing with thel 42nd parallel thing, if it's considered the divide then California is downstate and Oregon is upstate :sombrero:.

on: Today at 03:39:18 AM 
Started by roadfro - Last post by roadfro
I didn't get a pic because I totally wasn't expecting to see this, but:

On the recently reopened ramp from I-15 south to US 95 north, the BGS for 95 north at the split for MLK Blvd.) clearly has a spot for a second shield to be placed next to the 95 shield. Is someone expecting to put an I-11 shield there?

That's a result of the "US 95 north" message block being horizontally centered on the sign. I'm pretty sure that sign has been in place since the Spaghetti Bowl was reconstructed circa 1999-2000...

on: Today at 03:34:32 AM 
Started by jbnv - Last post by Max Rockatansky
Three backtracks for me starting with FL 31:

IMG_8320 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CR 74:

IMG_8325 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

And CR 78:

IMG_8326 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

on: Today at 03:28:44 AM 
Started by Roadgeekteen - Last post by Max Rockatansky
Yes, with a paper bag over my head, I admit to the Lie-Downs..er..Lions.

Heh....Lions take the early lead (Lions fan here) only to blow it how far into the thread?  How true to life....

on: Today at 03:11:45 AM 
Started by hbelkins - Last post by noelbotevera
I know I'm dusting off a 4.5 year old thread, but there are some interesting history and design features that pose a question, and I've at least been through the area (albeit not a native living here for 30+ years). Expect a few dumb questions.

-It was noted before here that the section in question opened in 1985, and a second set of lanes (which I assume became the I-64 exit) opened in 1987, with I-64 between Exits 121 (or maybe 124/125?) to 156 opening in 1988. My question is, in that one year time frame between 1987 and 1988, was exit 40 a stub to the East Beckley Bypass/US 19 (I-64's Exit 124), or was it left unopened until I-64 was completed?

-The location of this split is also really strange for I-77 SB traffic. Why would a downhill grade be good for a major interchange? I mean, you do have better visibility, but wouldn't this still pose an issue for trucks? If I was in control, I'd place it a mile or so south, because there's enough flat land to the south of the interchange (around the Fitzpatrick Road area) that might be better suited for the sake of trucks, and it would remove that little curve on I-64 just to the east of the interchange. The curve in question.

-It's also curious as to why I-77 NB doesn't have this setup. It looks like the interchange was designed for I-77 SB traffic, but it wouldn't hurt to lay down some dual lanes on I-77 NB, right?

on: Today at 03:09:44 AM 
Started by Pink Jazz - Last post by jeffe
California uses Type XI. 

Caltrans currently has several active projects to replace illuminated button copy signs with non-illuminated Type XI.

on: Today at 02:56:57 AM 
Started by J Route Z - Last post by sparker
I'm not joking, there's two Texaco's right down the same road, about 2 miles apart in Kennesaw, GA

The thing I most remember from my youth about Texaco vis-a-vis Chevron and Shell was that all three used Gousha as their map supplier -- but whereas -- and this is circa 1959-63 or so -- Shell and Chevron maps showed local and "secondary" state routes in shades of blue (navy blue for state highways and sky/light blue for local roads), the Texaco equivalent used black for this same indicator, with gray being the choice for the locals.  Then, about 1964-65 or so, the blue hue -- at least for roads -- was dropped in favor of black/gray for all oil-company-supplied maps (Gousha cutting costs, I presume).     

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.