News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off-Topic / Re: My idea for US currency re...
Last post by formulanone - Today at 02:59:20 PM
Quote from: kalvado on Today at 02:18:20 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on Today at 01:18:38 PMMy thoughts:

- Eliminate all coins. Prices are rounded up or down to the nearest dollar

- Transition the Federal Reserve Notes to colored plastic with Braille for denominations

- Increase production of the $2 bill to match that of the $1 bill.

- Remove "In God We Trust" from all bills and replace it with, "Liberty and Justice for All."

- Have the following denominations:
  1, 2, 5, 10, 15, 20, 50, 100,

- Feature different portraits on the obverse side of each bill, including historical and modern Americans:

- 1, George Washington, Martin Luther King, Jr., Orville and Wilbur Wright
  - 2, Thomas Jefferson, Barack Obama, Sitting Bull
  - 5, Abraham Lincoln, Sandra Day O'Connor, Muhammad Ali
  - 10, Alexander Hamilton, Harriett Tubman, Jackie Robinson
  - 20, Andrew Jackson, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Susan B. Anthony
  - 50, Ulysses S. Grant, Mark Twain, Sojourner Truth
  - 100, Benjamin Franklin, Elvis Presley, Henry David Thoreau

- And, on the reverse side, the same idea for monuments and historic/famous landmarks. The $1 will no longer have the Great Seal and the Illuminati pyramid.

- 1, Washington Monument, The 1903 Flight at Kitty Hawk, Yellowstone National Park
  - 2, Signing of the Declaration of Independence, Gettysburg Address, Jefferson Memorial
  - 5, Lincoln Memorial, Supreme Court, Niagra Falls,
  - 10, The Treasury, Statue of Liberty, Gateway Arch, Signing of the 1964 Civil Rights Act
  - 20, The White House, Pike's Peak, Golden Gate Bridge, One World Trade Center
  - 50, US Capitol, The Grand Canyon, Completion of the Transcontinental Railroad
  - 100, Independence Hall, the HOLLYWOOD Sign, Denali, Seattle Space Needle

You are stopping half way
- Eliminate all coins and bills smaller than $100. Transactions are rounded up to the nearest $100 if done in cash
- No more change needed!

$100 bills
3 cent pieces
(that's it)

Disadvantages:
Can never make perfect change will frustrate perfectionists and the poor
Nobody will be happy, we're all in this misery forever

Advantages:
No ability to make perfect change is a barometer of how nice/mean of a transaction's participants
Three is the Magic Number
Simplicity in tills
People can go around with money bags and feel rich
Nobody will be happy, we're all in this misery forever
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by J N Winkler - Today at 02:54:25 PM
Regarding new-patient appointments, I think they last longer because a full medical history is taken; lab work is ordered (including a CBC); and the PCP sits down with the patient to cover the waterfront in terms of outstanding medical issues, general approach toward metabolic health, necessary screening procedures (besides a colonoscopy, I was advised to self-refer to a dermatologist given family history of skin cancer on both sides), vaccinations, prophylactics (especially important for sexually active people), contraception (for female patients of childbearing age), and so on.

I think mine lasted for about an hour.  That did not include a follow-up appointment to have blood drawn for a CBC.  I was also told in advance to bring all my medical records from my previous physicians, but I did not do so, and was not asked for them.  (I think paper files from my next-to-last PCP are probably now in the salt mines in Hutchinson and would take forever to retrieve.  I was also registered with a GP practice, but when I tried to request these records, I was told my registration had lapsed, which means my patient file has been archived.  I can order it--indeed, there is an online form to allow me to do so--but I have postponed that task for the time being since it is such a cumbersome process to gather all the required documentation.)

In contradistinction, I would expect later appointments--particularly ones to treat easy-to-diagnose acute conditions like pneumonia or strep throat--to be much more brief.
Northeast / Re: I-95 and New Jersey Turnpi...
Last post by epzik8 - Today at 02:54:09 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on April 22, 2024, 08:36:15 PMIt still amazes me that PA built part of I-95 as only 4 lanes. Its one of the busiest transportation corridors in the world (NYC<->Philly), eh, 4 lanes is enough! Maybe they knew I-95 wasn't going to be completed as planned.

Or at least had tentative arrangements to make it at least six-wide before the New Jersey situation.
Video from caltrans on this closure

General Highway Talk / Re: Roads that you have been o...
Last post by cwf1701 - Today at 02:27:52 PM
2 i can think of:

1) the 9 Mile Road bridge over I-75 in Oakland County before the tanker truck fire in 2009.
2) The Key Bridge back in 1982, when the approaches was only 2 lane to the bridge
Just got through listening to it. My first meet was the 540 Raleigh meet in 2000 or 2001. I can't ever remember what year it was. I'd say my favorite was definitely Breezewood in 2004. Just being able to drive the abandoned turnpike and go through the tunnels was an unforgettable experience.
Sports / Re: General WNBA thread
Last post by ET21 - Today at 02:21:03 PM
Sky picked up some good players in the draft, looking forward to seeing if they can rekindle the championship run like a few years ago.
Sports / Re: Hockey
Last post by ET21 - Today at 02:19:52 PM
Every series is a great matchup, really good 1st round so far
Off-Topic / Re: My idea for US currency re...
Last post by kalvado - Today at 02:18:20 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on Today at 01:18:38 PMMy thoughts:

- Eliminate all coins. Prices are rounded up or down to the nearest dollar

- Transition the Federal Reserve Notes to colored plastic with Braille for denominations

- Increase production of the $2 bill to match that of the $1 bill.

- Remove "In God We Trust" from all bills and replace it with, "Liberty and Justice for All."

- Have the following denominations:
  1, 2, 5, 10, 15, 20, 50, 100,

- Feature different portraits on the obverse side of each bill, including historical and modern Americans:

- 1, George Washington, Martin Luther King, Jr., Orville and Wilbur Wright
  - 2, Thomas Jefferson, Barack Obama, Sitting Bull
  - 5, Abraham Lincoln, Sandra Day O'Connor, Muhammad Ali
  - 10, Alexander Hamilton, Harriett Tubman, Jackie Robinson
  - 20, Andrew Jackson, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Susan B. Anthony
  - 50, Ulysses S. Grant, Mark Twain, Sojourner Truth
  - 100, Benjamin Franklin, Elvis Presley, Henry David Thoreau

- And, on the reverse side, the same idea for monuments and historic/famous landmarks. The $1 will no longer have the Great Seal and the Illuminati pyramid.

- 1, Washington Monument, The 1903 Flight at Kitty Hawk, Yellowstone National Park
  - 2, Signing of the Declaration of Independence, Gettysburg Address, Jefferson Memorial
  - 5, Lincoln Memorial, Supreme Court, Niagra Falls,
  - 10, The Treasury, Statue of Liberty, Gateway Arch, Signing of the 1964 Civil Rights Act
  - 20, The White House, Pike's Peak, Golden Gate Bridge, One World Trade Center
  - 50, US Capitol, The Grand Canyon, Completion of the Transcontinental Railroad
  - 100, Independence Hall, the HOLLYWOOD Sign, Denali, Seattle Space Needle

You are stopping half way
- Eliminate all coins and bills smaller than $100. Transactions are rounded up to the nearest $100 if done in cash
- No more change needed!
Northeast / Re: I-95 and New Jersey Turnpi...
Last post by DJStephens - Today at 02:17:57 PM
It is kind of a head scratcher.  Even though cities in the NE corridor were large then (circa 1950), there was not expansive suburbanization then, nor large traffic passenger car demands between NYC and Philly possibly then.   Straight shot US - 1 may have been largely rural then, as well.  95 could have directly overlaid it.   Most likely though, the existence of the NJT (opened early 50's) diluted the "percieved need" for a later parallel route next to it.   Although I-295 exists, alongside the NJT, for a significant portion of it's length.  That's another head scratcher.  Why did they (meaning the turnpike authority) allow the seemingly diplicitous 295 corridor to be built out?!   Meaning that if 295 had never existed, beyond being a strictly Trenton loop, all the traffic, on it's southern length, would have been on the NJT, fattening their coffers even more.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.