News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off-Topic / Re: AARoads Wordle
Last post by jlam - Today at 12:08:04 AM
If you insist:

_ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _

6 GUESSES REMAINING
Quote from: NE2 on March 27, 2024, 10:21:10 PMIs it really 11:30 CDT? Or should it be 11:30 Eastern?
I guess Facebook isn't smart enough to base the time zone on the event's location.
Sports / Re: NFL (2024 Season)
Last post by JayhawkCO - March 27, 2024, 11:23:21 PM
Quote from: Henry on March 27, 2024, 11:12:13 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on March 27, 2024, 04:13:18 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on March 27, 2024, 04:00:16 PMI caught some of Jayden Daniels' LSU Pro Day appearance today. He's going to be our QB1 in Landover come September. Mel Kiper is seldom wrong.

Like when he said it was a huge mistake for the Colts to draft Peyton Manning over Ryan Leaf?
Kiper was wrong on that one. Ryan Leaf is a dick.

Ryan Leaf is an alcoholic in recovery. I'm sure that contributed to his dick-ness.
Off-Topic / Re: AARoads Wordle
Last post by JayhawkCO - March 27, 2024, 11:21:07 PM
Nah. All good. Jlam, hit it up. I just spent a few too many minutes trying to come up with a city that ended with -ur.  :bigass:
Off-Topic / Re: Laptop vs Desktop vs Small...
Last post by kkt - March 27, 2024, 11:20:46 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on March 27, 2024, 03:56:38 PM
Quote from: kkt on March 27, 2024, 01:54:36 PMMy first computer had 48 kb.  Yes, kilobytes, not megabytes...

I'm guessing it was bigger than my 500GB Acer Aspire 5.

Well, I haven't actually seen an Acer Aspire 5, but I would guess so too.  It was about the same size as today's full towers, except laid down flat.

Traffic Control / Re: Road Sign UNO
Last post by Henry - March 27, 2024, 11:14:15 PM
AR 29:

Sports / Re: NFL (2024 Season)
Last post by Henry - March 27, 2024, 11:12:13 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on March 27, 2024, 04:13:18 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on March 27, 2024, 04:00:16 PMI caught some of Jayden Daniels' LSU Pro Day appearance today. He's going to be our QB1 in Landover come September. Mel Kiper is seldom wrong.

Like when he said it was a huge mistake for the Colts to draft Peyton Manning over Ryan Leaf?
Kiper was wrong on that one. Ryan Leaf is a dick.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by Henry - March 27, 2024, 11:10:23 PM
Protective barriers around bridges were a stroke of genius, and the new Sunshine Skyway is proof of that. As for the ship that struck the bridge, whoever let it out into the harbor really is a dick, and should be fired. Even the drivers of the ship knew that it was not going to make it very far, and they made the right call with their mayday call. And it truly was a miracle that no traffic was crossing the bridge this time, thanks to the swift actions of the authorities.
Road Enthusiasts Meetings / Re: Orlando road meet: October...
Last post by Alex - March 27, 2024, 11:05:14 PM
I go to Orlando several times a year. The traffic has become a shitshow, even on weekends. So you'll want to plan tour stops accordingly.
The two big projects are already over, the initial I-4 Ultimate and Wekiva Parkway. The next I-4 Ultimate is early in construction. There's some grading already underway at the interchange joining I-4/SR 528, the ongoing work at the now DDI joining I-4/SR 482, the sprawl exit at Daryl Carter Parkway and now beginning construction at SR 535/CR 535 at I-4.

There's also the still ongoing widening of SR 417 along the Greeneway. They have extra high sign bridges posted now with apparent lane control signals on one truss and overheads on another. I shot photos three weeks ago of these unusual assemblies, but like many other things I photograph, haven't gotten around to posting them.

One vintage road aspect is part of the old Lake Monroe bridge along US 17/92. Worthy of a whole road meet stop? That's debatable, but it's worth a stop if you have some extra time.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 14, 2023, 09:04:20 PMOld Tampa Highway is part of the Dixie Highway and Old US 92/17:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/151828809@N08/14w54D3890

https://www.flickr.com/gp/151828809@N08/32Eu8j59E2

Old Tampa Highway is not worth seeing as it used to be as suburban sprawl is taking it over.

Considering this meet time is just past my birthday and I am aiming to travel out of Florida for it, I may miss this unless I travel the previous weekend. Otherwise I don't see why I would not trudge over. Could always give me an excuse to ride Mako at Sea World too.
Pacific Southwest / Re: California
Last post by TheStranger - March 27, 2024, 10:40:01 PM
Quote from: Quillz on March 27, 2024, 01:35:49 AMLast time I went to SF, it seemed as it was in the 00s and 90s. Same complaints, same kind of people, etc. COVID happened but I've not seen anything dramatically changed. To me, there was nothing to recover from. But my perspective is more a visitor, living there would be different.

The retail pullout from downtown has been pretty staggering in the last 2-3 years, with Macy's recently announcing the year-end closure of their iconic Union Square west coast flagship store.  The planned redevelopment of the Crocker Galleria food court/mini-mall in the Financial District has instead left that structure with only two or three open shops.

The areas that seem to be doing better are the more far-flung areas within the city, i.e. compare Stonestown Mall with its crowds and food options, to the downtown San Francisco Centre which Westfield divested and which has lost tenants consistently.  (Stonestown also has the advantage of free parking in a nicer area)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.