News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most Remembered Road You Have Ever Traveled On

Started by un1, January 21, 2009, 07:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

un1

Yep, the road that you remember the most, it could be the one you absolutely hate or the one that has something you loved about it, but it isn't your favourite.

My most remembered road I've ever traveled on was I-75 through Voldosta, Georgia.

What is yours?
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

Voyager

Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Alex

Delaware 2 (Kirkwood Highway). I still have to travel it when I go home for the holidays too.

FLRoads

Interstate 84 east of Portland along the Columbia River basin.  That was the most scenic drive along an interstate I have ever taken.

ComputerGuy

I-5 in WA - From forests and rural lakes to lots of farms and large rural cities to a metro area to more forest to another metro area.

I-90 in WA - From a metro area to rural farms to sand dunes to plateus to a metro area.

algorerhythms

The Cumberland Parkway in Kentucky. Having never been to Nevada, it felt kind of weird to not pass another car in 40 miles.

Wikigav

The Pacific Highway in both north and south of Sydney Australia, so many road/camping trips and good times travelling along a virtual death trap.

Shadow Assassin

Er, there's no Pacific Highway south of Sydney.

Most memorable: Lawrence Hargrave Drive, with that bridge that sticks out in the ocean.

deathtopumpkins

New Jersey Turnpike. I am always impressed by its size and traffic volume, and take it every time I go north.

Then there's always the first expressway I drove on, Hampton Roads Center Parkway (a short limited-access highway that connects a big shopping center with I-64, US-60, US-17, VA-134, and a few local arterials. Recently they, IMO, ruined it by adding in a signal-controlled intersection with 2 new roads, and extended it westward to US-60 by means of an at-grade road).

And lastly, CT-9, for reasons I've explained elsewhere.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

rawr apples

I-70 in Kansas

It proved to me that Kansas was nothing like I thought it was
Now shut up and drivee

DAL764

I-70 through Western Colorado. Quite a drive being surrounded by high mountains on the one side, and the wild Colorado river on the other, in some beautiful scenery.

njroadhorse

376 in Pittsburgh, all my family lives there, and I love Pittsburgh for some unnatural reason lolz
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

travelinmiles

I would say its a toss up between the PCH between SF and Carmel and CA 17 between Santa Cruz and San Jose.

SSOWorld

I-39/US 51 (Portage to Tomahawk Wisconsin)  Family lives up in that neck of the woods
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Freewayjim

The Everett Turnpike (US-3 & I-93) in NH.  Between the age of 6 and 11 1/2,  before we moved to Atlanta we would be on this road constantly between Nashua, where we lived and Concord where both sets of in-laws lived. We moved right as I-93 was being built/rebuilt around Manchester.
Check out my highway videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/Freewayjim

ComputerGuy

US 99 - all former portions, 2 days, 3 nights.

Tarkus

US-97 between Biggs, OR and Toppenish, WA--inspired my third string quartet.

-Alex (Tarkus)

CityBoy1986

Good:  Ind. 66 between Tell City and U.S. 231.  I was riding with my dad, and he went down Ind. 37 to cross the river at Tell City.  However, he took a right instead of a left, so we rode along the Ohio River.  Sometimes I think he would go the "wrong way" on purpose, though, like when he took I-94 through Minneapolis and Saint Paul rather than the bypass.

Bad:  I-40 in either New Mexico or Arizona.  A crew was blasting some rocks, so it was an hour or two before we could pass.

tankerdave

For me there are 3:

CA 18 from San Bernardino, CA to Crestline, CA

I-5 from I-210 (LA) to I-580 (Tracy)

I-15 from CA 60 to Vegas.

akotchi

My favorite is U.S. 22/322 between Harrisburg and Port Royal, PA.  My uncle had a cabin up there that my family would visit at least once a year, then I would take it every trip to and from Penn State.  It is pretty neat to recall the improvements made to the road over the last 30 years.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

mapman

For me, it's probably CA 4 in California's Central Valley.  There's a section between Farmington and Copperopolis I traveled on as a child where the road alternates quickly up and down in elevation, like a roller coaster, over a about a one-mile distance.  If I didn't continuously watch the road as we drove through that area, I'd get sick to my stomach!

mrivera1

A tie between I-15, CA-67, and I-8 in San Diego County, CA.  When I was little, we always traveled on I-8 to get to the beach and Sea World and the like.  CA-67 was a road we traveled a lot on when I was little a long time ago to get between North San Diego and El Cajon almost 3 times a week as our new house was being built up there.  I-15 is the freeway I use everyday, and it was the first signed route I ever drove on.  One of those three, I can't make a choice between them  :)
Why did Caltrans kill the US highways?  If you're smart, you'll know where you're going.  Too bad we have too many stupid people, and yes, Miss Talking on Cell Phone While Cutting Across the Freeway to Make Her Exit at 85mph, I'm talking about you.

Southern Illinois SKYWARN

I-64 through IN and KY, while nothing is particularly special about, there are a lot of good personal memories tied permanently.

wishfulanthony

Hahaha... since you have that question, I'll tell you two roads that are of stark contrast to one another.

Most remembered, favorite road of all: Pan-Philippine Highway in my home country, the Philippines. I travel around 300 miles of that two-lane, crowded (albeit orderly) highway that winds through the island of Luzon. It is the highway I frequent when I go to my province in southern Luzon (where my parents came from), and although it is long, you can drive as fast as you like there because there are no speed limits on that highway. The most exciting part: driving at night, wherein the competition for the brightest headlight takes place!

Most remembered, least favorite road of all: any freeway that runs through a densely-populated city, for the obvious reasons.
Very truly yours,

Anthony
----------------------------
Proud to be Filipino

Sykotyk

Hmm so many to choose from.

For non-interstates, I'd have to say ME-9 from Bangor to Calais, Nv/OR 140 from Winnemucca north to US-395.

Also the Natchez Trace, Merritt, and US 90 in southwest Texas.

Sykotyk

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.