News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most Remembered Road You Have Ever Traveled On

Started by un1, January 21, 2009, 07:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmiles32

I-15 in California, particularly this part
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.3465542,-117.4671386,3a,75y,256.22h,76.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1eW1ryEnjHr83WyBvCJmew!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
I guess I was just really taken back by both how wide the median was and the beauty of the nearby landscape.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

Great Lakes Roads

Most remembered road that I've traveled on??

Top 3:

1. I-90 between Chicago to Rockford, IL.  Ever since it was reconstructed, it's always a blast to drive with higher speed limits and center median lighting.
2. I-68 between Hancock, MD to Morgantown, WV.  An alternate route to Pittsburgh, PA because of the higher speed limits and lots of ups and downs along that route.  Also, it's a toll-free route for I-70 traffic.
3. WV State Highway 43/PA Turnpike 43 between Morgantown, WV to Jefferson Hills, PA.  Not a lot of traffic and higher speed limits around those sweeping turns.  Also, I get to zip through the EZ-Pass lanes at highway speed.

RobbieL2415

Mid-Cape Highway (US 6) Bourne to Provincetown, MA.  So many memories of family vacations using that road.  Could probably tell you where every storm drain cover is.

slorydn1

For me it would have to be I-95 between West Palm Beach and and the Golden Glades Interchange in Florida. Even back in the 80's once we got to WPB that meant the 2 1/2 day slog to Miami from Chicago was almost over and Christmas Vacation was to really kick off soon.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

jwolfer

Memorable was the Harbor Tunnel Thruway in Baltimore.  Driving from New Jersey to Florida.  Mt dad worked midnight shift as a cop so we always drove overnight

It meant we were on our way. I loved the skyline the urban area.

My brother and i would agree to not fight until after the tunnel, so we were to far to "turn the car around" LOL

LGMS428

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 27, 2017, 04:03:52 PM
The OP (though he no longer participates here) indicated this wasn't supposed to be a generic "favorite road" thread, so in that spirit I'll probably put down MN 100, especially the now-rebuilt section between Excelsior and I-394. I loved the intimate feel of the 1930s-era freeway through St. Louis Park, which while there was no choice but to modernize the section I'll miss that element of the drive.

Hmm, good point.

In that case, for me it'd have to be MN-65 between Cambridge and US-10. I rode that stretch many, many times as a child, and OMG... all the stoplights. Especially before the stretch around CR-14 (old MN-242) was rebuilt.

I wish I could go back in time and get pictures of the old 65/242 intersection before it was rebuilt into an interchange. I know froggie's site has a picture or two of the thing, but I'd really like to have gotten it photographed more thoroughly (and in higher quality) than that.

sbeaver44

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 26, 2017, 10:39:59 PM
For me, it's MN-200. It's not particularly scenic, but I've driven its length a few times and I just love that it's a singular highway strung together from a number of other former highways, and it runs pretty much nowhere of importance. I mean, Ada (pop 1707) is the largest city on the route, and I guess there's Itasca State Park, but that's also right off US-71. Also of note is that you can follow state highway 200 west through three more states. That's pretty cool and something I would love to do someday.
Idaho and Montana 200 are very pretty, and I think the multi-state 200 thing is cool.

Nexus 6P

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: sbeaver44 on May 01, 2017, 12:53:25 PM
For me, it's MN-200. It's not particularly scenic, but I've driven its length a few times and I just love that it's a singular highway strung together from a number of other former highways, and it runs pretty much nowhere of importance. I mean, Ada (pop 1707) is the largest city on the route, and I guess there's Itasca State Park, but that's also right off US-71. Also of note is that you can follow state highway 200 west through three more states. That's pretty cool and something I would love to do someday.
Idaho and Montana 200 are very pretty, and I think the multi-state 200 thing is cool.

It is really cool! I collect signs and I have signs from two of the four states it passes through, and I would love to get all four (bonus would be getting a MT-200S to go with those). One of these days I fully intend to plan a vacation to follow the whole length from Minnesota's end to Idaho's end and back.

Side note: I've always thought WA-20 should be connected to it (via concurrency with US-2) and renumbered WA-200. That would make it even cooler and more amazing. :)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 01, 2017, 01:07:22 PM
Quote from: sbeaver44 on May 01, 2017, 12:53:25 PM

It is really cool! I collect signs and I have signs from two of the four states it passes through, and I would love to get all four (bonus would be getting a MT-200S to go with those). One of these days I fully intend to plan a vacation to follow the whole length from Minnesota's end to Idaho's end and back.

Side note: I've always thought WA-20 should be connected to and renumbered WA-200. That would make it even cooler and more amazing. :)

I've thrown that one out there several times on the Fictional Boards as U.S. 200.  The path of WA 20 over the Cascades is probably the coolest road in Washington.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 01, 2017, 01:11:16 PM
I've thrown that one out there several times on the Fictional Boards as U.S. 200.  The path of WA 20 over the Cascades is probably the coolest road in Washington.

Eh, I actually think I like it more as a chain of state-numbered roads. Giving it the US Route designation takes some of the obscureness out of it, which is partly (at least in my mind) what makes it so cool.

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.