News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: vtk on December 07, 2013, 04:54:28 PM
Looks like someone designed a decent 70 spec wide shield, then realized they didn't have a wide piece of sheet metal to put it on...

they did.  they just had it rotated 90 degrees.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: sammi on December 19, 2013, 06:12:13 PM
Will I find a sign like this in the States? (EDIT: Source)

any overhead gantries with "welcome to X road" in the US?  I seem to recall the PA turnpike had one many years ago.

it is a staple in Mexico.

I thought I had a photo of one readily available that said "bienvenidos"* but this is the closest I've got offhand.  the ones I am thinking about are generally green; the Circuito Exterior Mexiquense seems to be an anomaly with red.

* or sometimes "welcome", in English.  the English ones are very popular in Baja California, hoping to attract US tourists.  I've heard the Yucatan area also has English ones, but cannot confirm.  metro Mexico City was all Spanish.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

machias

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 19, 2013, 06:53:05 PM

any overhead gantries with "welcome to X road" in the US?  I seem to recall the PA turnpike had one many years ago.

it is a staple in Mexico.

I thought I had a photo of one readily available that said "bienvenidos"* but this is the closest I've got offhand.  the ones I am thinking about are generally green; the Circuito Exterior Mexiquense seems to be an anomaly with red.

* or sometimes "welcome", in English.  the English ones are very popular in Baja California, hoping to attract US tourists.  I've heard the Yucatan area also has English ones, but cannot confirm.  metro Mexico City was all Spanish.

At one time wasn't there an overhead "Welcome to the Thomas E Dewey Thruway" overhead sign at Thruway mile 0? I don't remember if it's still there or not.

Zeffy

New Jersey does... kinda.

If you're wondering, a normal New Jersey welcome sign (not on the GSP / NJTP) looks like this:

I know both the Turnpike and the Parkway have 'Thanks for driving <toll road here> ' signs still standing at certain exits on those roads.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: NE2 on December 19, 2013, 06:22:11 PM

That sign makes it look like E-ZPass is a corporate sponsor: "Welcome to the E-ZPass Maine Turnpike." You know, sort of like college bowl games: the "Discover Orange Bowl" or the "Rose Bowl Game Presented by VIZIO."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman

Until about a year after the MassDOT "merger" in 2009, the "Welcome to Massachusetts" sign on I-90 east in West Stockbridge included a MassPike shield, the legend "Massachusetts Turnpike Authority" and the names and titles of the then Governor, Lieutenant Governor, and Turnpike Chairman.

The "Turnpike Authority" legend and names on the sign was mostly blued out for some time.  Within the past year or so, the original sign has since been replaced with a MassDOT current standard Welcome sign.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

vdeane

Quote from: upstatenyroads on December 19, 2013, 08:46:29 PM
At one time wasn't there an overhead "Welcome to the Thomas E Dewey Thruway" overhead sign at Thruway mile 0? I don't remember if it's still there or not.
http://goo.gl/maps/24sEG

Also of note: those clearview county signs the Thruway installed are now in street view.  And the "Thruway Speed Limit 55" sign.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Zeffy

Quote from: vdeane on December 20, 2013, 08:46:08 PM
Also of note: those clearview county signs the Thruway installed are now in street view.

I truly hope you are not referring to the county pentagon shields being in Clearview - because if so I might gouge my eyes out.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

vdeane

Quote from: Zeffy on December 21, 2013, 12:37:20 AM
Quote from: vdeane on December 20, 2013, 08:46:08 PM
Also of note: those clearview county signs the Thruway installed are now in street view.

I truly hope you are not referring to the county pentagon shields being in Clearview - because if so I might gouge my eyes out.
No, these things: http://goo.gl/maps/D0qQs (Westchester) http://goo.gl/maps/D8zwl (Bronx); the only county pentagon I know of on the Thruway is at exit 38 for old NY 57.

Also: another overhead welcome sign: http://goo.gl/maps/uopa7
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Zeffy

Quote from: vdeane on December 21, 2013, 10:29:15 AM
No, these things: http://goo.gl/maps/D0qQs (Westchester) http://goo.gl/maps/D8zwl (Bronx); the only county pentagon I know of on the Thruway is at exit 38 for old NY 57.

Oh, well those are fine since they use mixed case Clearview legend on a positive contrast background.

Brandon

Not an overhead, but...

ISTHA posts welcome and thank you signage.  Here's an older one from the former south end of I-355:

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

sammi

40 is awfully slow for an expressway, don't you think?

Does anyone know the Vienna way of signing ramp speed?

hotdogPi

Quote from: sammi on December 21, 2013, 03:45:38 PM

I might see another speed limit circle past the exit, but I'm not sure.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

sammi

Quote from: 1 on December 21, 2013, 03:56:42 PM

Actually, I think that's a "no passing".

1995hoo

Quote from: sammi on December 21, 2013, 04:22:12 PM
Quote from: 1 on December 21, 2013, 03:56:42 PM

Actually, I think that's a "no passing".

It looks to me like there may be another speed limit sign beyond the "no passing" (or at least no something) up on top of that rise.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

There really is none.  The UK has a version signed as:

Max
Speed

The US and Canada use a similar sign, black on yellow.

Germany uses a white on blue sign.

And Mexico uses the red circle in a white square with the speed in the middle and the word "SALIDA" above or below it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Brandon

The Chicago area has a special number for reporting accidents and traffic problems.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Kniwt

Hello, *999? I'm reporting a road on the road. What's that? Oh, then; I'd like to report a bad case of line spacing on a big blue sign.

Zeffy

Quote from: Kniwt on December 26, 2013, 10:28:42 PM
Hello, *999? I'm reporting a road on the road. What's that? Oh, then; I'd like to report a bad case of line spacing on a big blue sign.

I'd like to report the use of Clearview in all caps on a blue service sign...

Kniwt

Beware of another Veterans Memorial Bridge:

(AZ-CA state line; Street View image)

Brandon

A sign I've seen from time-to-time in Illinois, but not anywhere much else (Archer Av, Justice, IL):

Sometimes a dash is used between "water" and "ice".

And this one is just interesting (Cortland, IL):

A bit wordy for a diamond sign.

mass_citizen

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on December 27, 2013, 11:32:34 AM
A sign I've seen from time-to-time in Illinois, but not anywhere much else (Archer Av, Justice, IL):

Sometimes a dash is used between "water" and "ice".

And this one is just interesting (Cortland, IL):

A bit wordy for a diamond sign.
1: "WATER / ICE ON ROAD"
2: "MAXIMUM 11' WIDTH AHEAD"

Bam.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.