Department of Redundancy Department

Started by Brandon, December 26, 2013, 05:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

For all redundant signage, not necessarily bad or ugly.  Some could even be good.

From the Chicago Department of Redundancy Department at I-90/94 and Taylor St:

How many times does one need to say "one way"?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hotdogPi

On the New Jersey Turnpike, you will find two sets of exit signs in some places, and you can see them both.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

xonhulu

Brian556

I've seen intersections with up to five one way signs facing one direction. Wish I could remember where it was.

Zeffy

Quote from: 1 on December 26, 2013, 05:48:24 PM
On the New Jersey Turnpike, you will find two sets of exit signs in some places, and you can see them both.

I believe that you are supposed to convey the same message with multiple signs at set distances according to the MUTCD. Unless it said 'EXIT 11 ↗' on two signs one at the gore point and the other right next to the gore, it's not redundant.
Quote from: xonhulu on December 26, 2013, 08:13:40 PM
On I-15, just south of Idaho Falls:

Quite possibly the most useless exit sign I've ever seen.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

hbelkins

These have been replaced and there's no longer a redundancy. At the end of KY 341 near Midway. Photo taken in 2000.

From 2011, at the end of KY 227 in Scott County.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

txstateends

Quote from: xonhulu on December 26, 2013, 08:13:40 PM
On I-15, just south of Idaho Falls:

Just looked on Google Street View, and as of September 2011, that advance BGS and the one pointing to the off-ramp both showed "Exit 113", no actual road/street/destination.  But, according to the map Google has of the area, the cross-road is West 65th Street -- amazing that someone couldn't have put a sign with that on it before now (whether the cross-road was named at the time of the first BGSes or not), and avoided the embarrassment of redunduncy.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Big John

North Dakota does the same thing except there is no tab on the ahead exit sign.  http://goo.gl/maps/jQev6

Only other sign is the sign in the gore:  http://goo.gl/maps/WcXBD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1 on December 26, 2013, 05:48:24 PM

Do you mean the inner/outer drives?  They are 2 separate roadways, and thus need two separate signs. While a driver could get confused looking at the wrong signage, but that'll be their own damn fault. 

xonhulu

Quote from: txstateends on December 27, 2013, 10:06:34 AM
Just looked on Google Street View, and as of September 2011, that advance BGS and the one pointing to the off-ramp both showed "Exit 113", no actual road/street/destination.  But, according to the map Google has of the area, the cross-road is West 65th Street -- amazing that someone couldn't have put a sign with that on it before now (whether the cross-road was named at the time of the first BGSes or not), and avoided the embarrassment of redunduncy.

Until the mid-00's, this exit was for US 26/BL-15.  But that was moved a few miles north when a new bridge was built over the Snake River.  That's when this sign went up.  You're right, it should read "West 65th St" or something about a destination, but instead we got that redundant beauty!

Mapmikey

I want to say I'm supposed to stay to the right at this location in Galax VA, but I'm not entirely sure...

http://goo.gl/maps/MtcvP

Mapmikey

Brandon

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 27, 2013, 09:12:02 PM
I want to say I'm supposed to stay to the right at this location in Galax VA, but I'm not entirely sure...

Mapmikey

And completely useless as it's pointing in the wrong direction.  :-D
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Mdcastle

Zeffy

Quote from: Mdcastle on December 28, 2013, 11:38:53 AM

Even better is that each sign contains a different series. (Left: Series D or maybe E, Right: Series EM)
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

hbelkins

I've got a bunch of pictures where sign replacements were ongoing, and both the old and new signs were still up, but I don't think that's what we're shooting for.

West Virginia posts ground-style signs at the gore points at interstate intersections, something similar to the New Hampshire example above.

kendancy66

Mapmikey

Is this facing in the wrong direction?

WillWeaverRVA

Oh Richmond, you so crazy. (This was taken in 2009 and is still there. There was a VDOT-installed VA 76 shield complete with VDOT sticker there prior to then.)

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Mapmikey

Quote from: kendancy66 on December 28, 2013, 12:56:38 PM

Mapmikey

Is this facing in the wrong direction?

Yes...this sign has been turned around at some point.  Here is a Michael Summa picture from 1994 of it being in the right place:

http://www.millenniumhwy.net/summa/summa-Pages/Image341.html

Mapmikey

Takumi

I've seen a few VDOT installations recently that say "Route I-95" and/or "Route I-64".
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

xonhulu

Quote from: Takumi on December 29, 2013, 12:04:39 AM
I've seen a few VDOT installations recently that say "Route I-95" and/or "Route I-64".

Do you mean literally "Route I-95,", or something like this:

If it's the first, then it's like something I've heard my brother-in-law complain about.  He drives scrap metal to recycling facilities, and he says it annoys him when many of his co-workers refer to "Interstate I-5." 

Eth

Google Street View is failing me at the moment, but I was in Savannah a few weeks ago and noticed dozens of trailblazers pointing the way to "Interstate I-16".

vdeane

There are some sloppy green-out signs on I-390 south listing the distance to "Route I-86". http://goo.gl/maps/U1wRL

Yes, they did abbreviate "route" as "rte".  Yes, that is original to the sign.  No, I don't know what region 4 was thinking.

At least the original wording didn't say "Rte. NY 17".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Missouri does the same thing: Route I-44."

vtk

Quote from: Zeffy on December 28, 2013, 11:41:56 AM
Quote from: Mdcastle on December 28, 2013, 11:38:53 AM

Even better is that each sign contains a different series. (Left: Series D or maybe E, Right: Series EM)

Both Series EM, but the left has reduced interletter spacing.

In northwest Columbus, at The Mall at Tuttle Crossing, there are signs directing traffic to "Interstate I-"
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.