News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 10/WI 441 upgrade thread!

Started by mgk920, June 26, 2014, 10:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Another WisDOT 'Big Shovel' upgrade project is under way!  Clocking in at nearly a half-billion dollars, WisDOT is upgrading US 10/WI 441 from just west of the US(I)-41 'Bridgeview' interchange (US 10 interchange 287/US(I)-41 interchange 134) to Oneida St (Interchange 291) in Appleton to six lanes.  (See: http://goo.gl/maps/GZ0rw )  This includes broadening the 'S' curves as it passes through Menasha, completing the Bridgeview interchange (it currently has two 'missing moves'), building a parallel bridge for US 10/WI 441 crossing of Little Lake Butte des Morts and re-engineering its street interchanges.  It includes a DDI at Oneida St (US 10 east).

:thumbsup:

From Fox11 News:
Quote"I don't think this fits into the 41 conversion, so I will post here

Groundbreaking was yesterday for work on 441 "tri county" freeway. It includes fixing the 41/441/10 interchange, and a new bridge over Little Lake Butte des Morts:
http://fox11online.com/2014/06/25/highway-441-project-underway-in-fox-valley/

We also explained a Diverging Diamond interchange
http://fox11online.com/2014/06/25/hwy-441-expansion-plan-includes-diverging-diamond/"

Also see:
http://us41wisconsin.gov/wis441/overview/

Enjoy!

:cheers:

Mike

Molandfreak

After construction is finished, will 441 be up to Interstate standards?
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

JREwing78

It would appear to be the plan. They're going to an awful lot of trouble (and money) to rebuild 441. It'd be silly not to build it to full Interstate standards, particularly given the pending Interstate designation on 41.

mgk920

I'm pretty much expecting this part (the Winnebago County part) to be full interstate standards when these upgrades are complete.  The Calumet County part appears to me to have been at full I-standards when it opened in 1993.  I am thinking that the Outagamie County part near its Fox River bridge might have substandard-width left shoulders, though, but I would ask WisDOT about that.

Mike

Henry

And furthermore, I think that I-441 makes the most sense, should the upgrade to full Interstate standards occur. It's one of the few places where no other number will do.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Fox 11 News

Must be doing work already, as we got a lane closures announcement for next week:

WIS 441 Tri-County Project lane closures for June 30 — July 4
Traffic restrictions on WIS 441 and US 10

(Green Bay) The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) Northeast Region office in Green Bay is announcing WIS 441 Project lane restrictions for June 30 — July 4 in Winnebago, Outagamie and Calumet counties. Drivers should be aware of reduced speed limits and remember to use caution while traveling through any work zone. This does not include closures by local authorities for accidents or unusual incidents (such as weather).

Details of all closures are:
-   Westbound US 10 to southbound US 41 loop ramp will be closed NIGHTLY on Monday and Tuesday from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
-   Suggested alternate route: Traffic seeking southbound US 41 should exit at County CB, take County CB north to Prospect Avenue, follow Prospect Avenue east to US 41

-   Northbound US 41 between Winchester Road and Prospect Avenue will have single lane closures on Tuesday and Wednesday from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. 

mgk920

Quote from: Fox 11 News on June 27, 2014, 03:18:23 PM
Must be doing work already, as we got a lane closures announcement for next week:

WIS 441 Tri-County Project lane closures for June 30 – July 4
Traffic restrictions on WIS 441 and US 10

(Green Bay) The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) Northeast Region office in Green Bay is announcing WIS 441 Project lane restrictions for June 30 – July 4 in Winnebago, Outagamie and Calumet counties. Drivers should be aware of reduced speed limits and remember to use caution while traveling through any work zone. This does not include closures by local authorities for accidents or unusual incidents (such as weather).

Details of all closures are:
•   Westbound US 10 to southbound US 41 loop ramp will be closed NIGHTLY on Monday and Tuesday from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
•   Suggested alternate route: Traffic seeking southbound US 41 should exit at County CB, take County CB north to Prospect Avenue, follow Prospect Avenue east to US 41

•   Northbound US 41 between Winchester Road and Prospect Avenue will have single lane closures on Tuesday and Wednesday from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.

IMHO, the westbound to southbound detour for the overnight hours like that could simply be "Exit at County 'CB', turn left and re-enter US 10 eastbound (turn around at the interchange), taking the turn to southbound US(I)-41 at the next ramp."

:nod:

Crews have been doing underground utility work by that interchange, mostly by the railroad in the NE quadrant, for several weeks now.

Mike

mgk920

Quote from: Henry on June 27, 2014, 02:41:46 PM
And furthermore, I think that I-441 makes the most sense, should the upgrade to full Interstate standards occur. It's one of the few places where no other number will do.

Interesting in that while the original freeway was being planned and built, it was normally referred to as "The Tri-County Expressway (or Freeway)" and ever since it opened in two stages in 1991 and 1993, the locals have only referred to it as "Four Forty One" or "Highway Four Forty One", even after US 10 was moved to part of it in about 1993.  West of US(I)-41, it is "Highway Ten" or "U.S. Ten".

Few locals even remember it being called the "Tri-County' during its planning and construction.

Mike

merrycilantro

My question is, they may seek Interstate status for 441, but what about US 10 going West of Appleton, towards I-39? Not sure if it's Interstate Standards, but wouldn't that theoretically have to be a 3di with an odd number, or could they allow 441 to extend to 39 like that?

english si

Why not:

I-x39 Stevens Point (I-39) - Oshkosh (I-41) along US10 and US45
I-441 Winchester (US45) - Appleton (I-41) along US10 and WI441

Or, if US10 won't be fully upgraded (unlikely)
I-541 Oshkosh (I-41) - Freemont (WI49/WI110) along US10 and US45

mgk920

Quote from: english si on July 02, 2014, 09:43:50 AM
Why not:

I-x39 Stevens Point (I-39) - Oshkosh (I-41) along US10 and US45

Or, if US10 won't be fully upgraded (unlikely)
I-541 Oshkosh (I-41) - Freemont (WI49/WI110) along US10 and US45

Much of it, including the freeway parts, is not up to I-standards.  Example - the Waupaca bypass.  Although it was completely rebuilt about 10 years ago it has substandard left shoulders and a relatively narrow median with no center barrier, except on a very short section.  See: http://goo.gl/maps/OiSrQ

Besides making the rest of the highway a full freeway, these other issues would have to be addressed before it could get the snazzy signs.

As for US 45, the US(I)-41 end of that freeway is not a complete freeway-to-freeway interchange - the SB to NB moves involve intersection turns.

BTW, I have mused about US 10 to Stevens Point eventually becoming something like 'I-441' (or 'I-4xx' for whatever other 2DI number was being discussed for US 41's 'promotion') many times.

Mike

merrycilantro

:O  YOU KNOW, UNTIL I GOOGLE MAPPED IT I HAD NO IDEA IT WASN'T A COMPLETE SYSTEM INTERCHANGE!!!!

But sure enough...

Was just thinking about that because i'll actually be going to Park Falls this weekend and I'll be going the "usual Up North Route" (I41-US45-US10) but instead of going up I39/US51 i'm going to check out the new US10 to Marshfield and catch Wis 13. I suppose though, THAT particular branch of 10, from Point to Marshfield, could in essence be a branch off 39 lile I-339 if that were up to standards, it just would seem logical if say 10 were I-standard from Appleton to Point, just extend 441 along 10 to Point. My apologies, i've had a ton of coffee this morning...

merrycilantro

...if nothing else start it off by extending Presumed I-441 from I-41 along US 10 to where it interchanges with US 45...

triplemultiplex

Quote from: merrycilantro on July 02, 2014, 10:44:50 AM
Was just thinking about that because i'll actually be going to Park Falls this weekend...

That's my home turf up there in Price County. ;)

US 10 to Marshfield hardly has any traffic, so it's a really quick ride.  The Veterans Parkway "thru-pass" is an interesting anomaly in the state for how recently it was built.  It functions well.
WI 13 has a LOT of small towns to go through up to Medford.  Take advantage of passing lanes whenever you can.  They are usually in the towns.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

merrycilantro

Quote from: triplemultiplex on July 02, 2014, 03:02:02 PM
Was just thinking about that because i'll actually be going to Park Falls this weekend...

Take advantage of passing lanes whenever you can.  They are usually in the towns.

Will do! Thanks for the tip! :)

mgk920

At last a real, concrete (well, actually asphalt) sign that this project is underway!

:clap:

:cheers:

TONIGHT (Wednesday, 2014-07-23), there is an overnight closure of the NB to EB and WB to NB ramps at the US(I)-41/US 10/WI 441 'Bridgeview' interchange so that crews can pave and cut in significant temporary realignments to each.

Also, over the past couple of weeks, crews dug out and resculpted much of the fill that held the former ramp that once served EB to NB traffic (it was an intersection turn that originally fed into the WB to NB ramp, now a 'missing move') to align with the ghost ramp fill on the other side of the US(I)-41 mainline, this to hold the future NB to WB 'missing move' ramp.  Part of the fill was also resculpted to hold the grade for the temporary EB to NB ramp that is being paved and cut in overnight tonight.

Crews are also now striping and placing barriers for a lane shift on the NB US(I)-41 mainline at that interchange.

Those coming to my meet in a few weeks from the south will drive by it all on their way in.

Mike

gbgoose

I think once US(I)-41 officially becomes I-41 - you'll see WI-441 become I-XXX at some point.  Mike is right - there is a ton of work that needs to be done for that to take place.  There are also several cross-traffic intersections between Fremont and Stevens Point that would need to be closed off as well.  You could add a new interchange or two in that route - (WI-161 comes to mind).

I also think it's possible to see WI-172 in Green Bay become I-xxx  with I-41 and I-43 on each side once 41 gets done there.

Big John

^^ WI 441 does not go west of US 41 at the Bridgeview Interchange.  I don't see an interstate designation for US 10 west of there either.  But once the improvements are made to WI 441, it could become a I-x41 if WisDOT ever had the inclination to make that change.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Big John on July 24, 2014, 08:35:16 AM
^^ WI 441 does not go west of US 41 at the Bridgeview Interchange.  I don't see an interstate designation for US 10 west of there either.  But once the improvements are made to WI 441, it could become a I-x41 if WisDOT ever had the inclination to make that change.

I think that's the rub.  WIDOT hasn't seemed all that interested in making such designations in the past.  US-12 near Elkhorn...US-45 up to West Bend...WI-30 in Madison...WI-172 in Green Bay (I think)...  All could be 3dis - none of them are.

mgk920

Quote from: gbgoose on July 24, 2014, 08:18:40 AM
I think once US(I)-41 officially becomes I-41 - you'll see WI-441 become I-XXX at some point.  Mike is right - there is a ton of work that needs to be done for that to take place.  There are also several cross-traffic intersections between Fremont and Stevens Point that would need to be closed off as well.  You could add a new interchange or two in that route - (WI-161 comes to mind).

The current plan is for the US 10 Stevens Point east bypass to diverge (westbound) from current US 10 right by Lake Emily park at Amherst Junction, run a short distance northeast of the current highway and then turn hard southwest, crossing the railroad just west of that park.  This is east of WI 161.  The new US 10 would them head westward mostly along half-section lines, with a shift here and there, connecting to I-39 with a major free-flowing directional 'T' interchange just south of County 'HH' (the future 'Plover' interchange).  One can make out some of the ROW outlines of this planned interchange on the current Google aerial image of the area.

WisDOT tried to use as much of the existing highway west of Amherst Junction as possible, but after every PIM and public hearing, it became more and more 'Rube Goldbergish', to the point where any thoughts of using it were simply dropped.

As for the existing highway, I would completely abandon it between Lake Emily park and WI 161 (it didn't exist before the mid-1960s - prior to then US 10 followed what is now WI 161, County 'SS' and County 'Q' through Nelsonville to Amherst Junction), perhaps leaving a recreational path behind on the former eastbound side, with the existing highway west of WI 161 being downgraded to two lanes on the present westbound side east of County 'J' and redesignated as WI 161.  The eastbound side east of Custer could be an extension of the above mentioned path.  I would also renumber all of WI 66 west of I-39 as 'WI 161'.

It is all waiting on funding.

Mike

SSOWorld

Not likely Mike - They've already went too far.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mahaasma

US 10 to Marshfield hardly has any traffic, so it's a really quick ride.  The Veterans Parkway "thru-pass" is an interesting anomaly in the state for how recently it was built.  It functions well.
WI 13 has a LOT of small towns to go through up to Medford.  Take advantage of passing lanes whenever you can.  They are usually in the towns.

What is the Veteran's "thru-pass"  like?  I've never driven it before....

triplemultiplex

Quote from: mgk920 on July 24, 2014, 09:58:22 AM
WisDOT tried to use as much of the existing highway west of Amherst Junction as possible, but after every PIM and public hearing, it became more and more 'Rube Goldbergish', to the point where any thoughts of using it were simply dropped.

They missed their chance to preserve some r/w immediately south of the CN mainline through the "Portage County Business Park" you see from I-39.  Would've been really simple to swing south a mile or so west of CTH JJ, hop over the railroad and then build a system interchange by the aforementioned business park.
I sketched it out a couple years ago in the redesigning interchanges thread.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3618.msg85409#msg85409
Now there are new buildings in that area I would've sent US 10 through.

Quote from: mahaasmaWhat is the Veteran's "thru-pass"  like?  I've never driven it before....

Four lane divided arterial with access mostly restricted to signalized intersections.  There's a grade separation in there and it tucks underneath the CN railroad in a fairly cool way, in my opinion.  It moves traffic very well.  Speed limit is 35 for only a short distance either side of the Central Avenue/WI 97 junction; other than that, it's all 45.  It's nicely landscaped and a well-utilized multi-use path follows most of it.
I believe there were long-range plans for a WI 13 bypass of Marshfield at some point (it appeared on official trunkline maps) but Veterans Parkway makes that unnecessary looking forward.  It was a better solution for moving local traffic.
In my opinion, it's the type of thing that WisDOT should've tried to do in Burlington instead of that costly, mostly empty bypass way outside of town.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mahaasma on July 24, 2014, 11:21:00 PM

What is the Veteran's "thru-pass"  like?  I've never driven it before....

It is the new routing of WI-13 through the City of Marshfield.  If you look at this map, WI-13 used to enter from the south where US-10 turns 90 degrees to the east.  This new routing only hits a couple of lights. 

They preferred this alternative to a bypass.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Marshfield,+WI/@44.6494289,-90.1754953,13z/data=!4m7!1m4!3m3!1s0x87ffc2e6f27d7ff3:0xd48b27c649ba83cc!2sMarshfield,+WI!3b1!3m1!1s0x87ffc2e6f27d7ff3:0xd48b27c649ba83cc

mgk920

The Appleton Post-Crescent just posted an interesting article on this upgrade project:

http://www.postcrescent.com/story/news/local/2014/07/30/us-state-interchange-undergoes-rapid-changes/13388223/

It includes a video clip that shows the latest layout of the new US 10/US(I)-41/WI 441 'Bridgeview' interchange at about 0:25.  I note that it now shows the new WB to SB flyover ramp diverging from WB US 10 on the left (all previous layouts showed it diverging on the right).

Enjoy!

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.