News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Don'tKnowYet on May 17, 2017, 07:25:22 AM
Quote from: Alps on May 17, 2017, 12:43:22 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 16, 2017, 11:23:06 PM
So the new NB Ramp will be moved to Lanes Mill Road and the one from Burnt Store going bye bye forever?
Look at the image. It answers questions.

The image does however have one critical error.  The small piece of Burnt Tavern Road between the SB GSP off ramp and the Herborn Street Extension/Herborn Street intersection is one way westbound.  It is not two-way travel like the layout shows.

These are final plans.  2 way traffic there seems critical...I couldn't see them routing all the traffic around into a single lane on the extension when 2 thru lanes are shown on the plan.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 17, 2017, 08:35:14 AM
So the new NB Ramp will be moved to Lanes Mill Road and the one from Burnt Store going bye bye forever?

The image does however have one critical error.  The small piece of Burnt Tavern Road between the SB GSP off ramp and the Herborn Street Extension/Herborn Street intersection is one way westbound.  It is not two-way travel like the layout shows.

These are final plans.  2 way traffic there seems critical...I couldn't see them routing all the traffic around into a single lane on the extension when 2 thru lanes are shown on the plan.
I'll check it out in the next couple of days.  I think they could have gotten away with closing off the section of Burnt Tavern between Lanes Mill/GSP SB exit ramp and Herborn Ave. - maybe with a cul-de-sac coming from the west for local access - and just had all traffic use the new extension.  Herborn Ave. is the main route from the north/west through here as Burnt Tavern comes to a dead-end in a residential neighborhood a short distance to the west.  With the removal of that section of Burnt Tavern, they might have been able to eliminate two signals in the process - Burnt Tavern/Lanes Mill and Burnt Tavern/Herborn. 

Alps

I remember seeing it as one-way in earlier plans and probably had some comments on it... so maybe they actually listened! :D

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Alps on May 17, 2017, 08:17:46 PM

I remember seeing it as one-way in earlier plans and probably had some comments on it... so maybe they actually listened! :D
The plans shown on these two Patch news stories are probably what you're talking about.  They show that stretch as one way.
https://patch.com/new-jersey/brick/parkway-interchange-91-southbound-brick-opening-tuesday
https://patch.com/new-jersey/tomsriver/photos-maps-of-parkway-plans-for-miles-83-to-100

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on May 17, 2017, 08:31:05 PM
Quote from: Alps on May 17, 2017, 08:17:46 PM

The plans shown on these two Patch news stories are probably what you're talking about.  They show that stretch as one way.
https://patch.com/new-jersey/brick/parkway-interchange-91-southbound-brick-opening-tuesday
https://patch.com/new-jersey/tomsriver/photos-maps-of-parkway-plans-for-miles-83-to-100
I checked out the west side of 91 today.  The short stretch of Burnt Tavern between Herborn and Lanes Mill is indeed now one-way westbound.  Here's some photos:

1. Burnt Tavern westbound at the Lanes Mill / 91 SB exit signal, coming down off the bridge over the GSP:

2. Burnt Tavern eastbound at the new Herborn signal:

3. Herborn Ave. extension at new signal with Lanes Mill Rd., facing the new GSP SB entrance:

I still don't understand the point of maintaining the left turn from Lanes Mill NB at the Burnt Tavern signal.  Drivers can turn left at the new Herborn extension signal a short distance before it, and get to the same exact place.  It's completely redundant and adds an unnecessary phase to the signal.

Don'tKnowYet

Since southbound 549 essentially turns truly south at the GSP SB off ramp, does Ocean County or Brick own Burnt Tavern Rd west of the off ramp?  Possibly something bizarre like it's Ocean County between the off ramp and Herborn and then Brick west of Herborn?

Alps

Quote from: Don'tKnowYet on May 18, 2017, 10:49:07 PM
Since southbound 549 essentially turns truly south at the GSP SB off ramp, does Ocean County or Brick own Burnt Tavern Rd west of the off ramp?  Possibly something bizarre like it's Ocean County between the off ramp and Herborn and then Brick west of Herborn?

It's still a county road west of there.

storm2k

From NJ.com: New Parkway toll will be cashless after only 3 people objected to plan

Basically, they're sticking to the plan to be completely cash free, EZ-Pass only, no video tolling or the like.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: storm2k on May 31, 2017, 03:21:56 PM
From NJ.com: New Parkway toll will be cashless after only 3 people objected to plan

Basically, they're sticking to the plan to be completely cash free, EZ-Pass only, no video tolling or the like.

I am not a fan of "you must have a transponder or you will be hit with a civil citation" line of reasoning. 

Toll-by-plate is not that expensive to process (and charging a toll that is doubled seems fair), especially since the Turnpike Authority has to have cameras there anyway to identify toll violators and deal with E-ZPass misreads.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

bzakharin

This Parkway entrance sign at Exit 36 (Fire Road North)
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3913125,-74.5631065,3a,75y,22.5h,93.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smbHdFSqZSiIYi-zc9ma9GQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1
has been replaced with this

The Southbound sign is still there. Have they done this anywhere else?

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: bzakharin on June 20, 2017, 09:12:31 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3913125,-74.5631065,3a,75y,22.5h,93.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smbHdFSqZSiIYi-zc9ma9GQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1

Oh, no, no, no. They're still using the trapezoid.

storm2k

Quote from: bzakharin on June 20, 2017, 09:12:31 PM

They still use the trapezoid. Here is a typical example of a modern one, at 132.

roadman65

I would sure hate to see the old trapezoid signs go, as they are so neoclassical and the Parkway's own signature signage.  Bad enough the NJTA rid themselves of their neoclassical signs to please the feds, I would loathe to see another tradition pass as well.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

Again I agree with roadman65. Although I usually favor standardization and MUTCD compliance, I too am unexpectedly missing the old New Jersey Tpk signing and would feel the same way about the GS Parkway. 

bzakharin

That trapezoid has helped me not have to count lights when I first started using this interchange. The shape was visible from a lot further away than the text (and shield) on it. It hasn't been necessary for over 3 years, but it's still too bad that it's gone.

jeffandnicole

People clearly get too freaked out when it's possible this was just a contractor error.  Numerous other signs have been installed in this project...are they standard GPS signage or not?  Or, better yet, what does the contract specifications show as to what should've been installed here?

roadman65

Quote from: SignBridge on June 23, 2017, 08:38:25 PM
Again I agree with roadman65. Although I usually favor standardization and MUTCD compliance, I too am unexpectedly missing the old New Jersey Tpk signing and would feel the same way about the GS Parkway. 
It was a way of identifying like the Exit numbers have always been,

Quote from: bzakharin on June 25, 2017, 09:38:47 AM
That trapezoid has helped me not have to count lights when I first started using this interchange. The shape was visible from a lot further away than the text (and shield) on it. It hasn't been necessary for over 3 years, but it's still too bad that it's gone.
Yes the shape is like no other freeway entrance.  Though the NJDOT portion from 129 to 140 did not use them cause NJDOT had their own way of doing things, but I think now its been added there to pretty much all of the ramps.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

The new Exit 125 ramp opens Sunday morning, 7/9 at 6am. The Turnpike Authority put up what looks like a rendering of one of the exit signs on their Facebook page:

They sort of mashed the standard for ETC roadway exit signs in with an APL. I'll be interested to see how this looks in person. Might have to take a drive down there early next week.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: storm2k on July 07, 2017, 01:45:46 PM
The new Exit 125 ramp opens Sunday morning, 7/9 at 6am. The Turnpike Authority put up what looks like a rendering of one of the exit signs on their Facebook page:

They sort of mashed the standard for ETC roadway exit signs in with an APL. I'll be interested to see how this looks in person. Might have to take a drive down there early next week.

Hopefully they'll have additional signs in regards to stating that the exit is truly EZ Pass Only.  I'm not sure this one does it too well.

The other rendering I saw shows the 2 lane exit with EZ Pass gantry overhead, which leads into 5 lanes approaching the intersection.  At least they did it right...unlike PA's insistence of separating the two lanes on their EZ Pass only ramps for no reason, NJTA kept them together, like every other conventional 2 lane exit in the world.

storm2k

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 07, 2017, 02:03:22 PM
Quote from: storm2k on July 07, 2017, 01:45:46 PM

Hopefully they'll have additional signs in regards to stating that the exit is truly EZ Pass Only.  I'm not sure this one does it too well.

The other rendering I saw shows the 2 lane exit with EZ Pass gantry overhead, which leads into 5 lanes approaching the intersection.  At least they did it right...unlike PA's insistence of separating the two lanes on their EZ Pass only ramps for no reason, NJTA kept them together, like every other conventional 2 lane exit in the world.

Yes, that gantry is pretty Turpike Authority standard. Most of the Express EZ-Pass lanes on the Parkway use them. The Raritan plaza gantry looks like a bigger version of this. The 18W EEP gantry on the Turnpike looks like this as well.

SignBridge

How big of an interchange is the Chevalier Ave. exit? According to the MUTCD Sec. 2E.20, arrow-per-lane signs are only for use at major and heavier use/intermediate interchanges. Minor and lighter use/intermediate interchanges are to be signed using conventional lane-drop signing combined with lane-use signs and pavement markings.

Not that I necessarily agree, but that's what the Manual specifies. Also see fig. 2E-11 on page 204.   

ixnay

Quote from: bzakharin on June 25, 2017, 09:38:47 AM

I hope heaven's highways are signed with squiggly arrows and trapezoidal signs and button copy text.  And populated with free flowing, non polluting traffic...

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on July 07, 2017, 08:04:04 PM
How big of an interchange is the Chevalier Ave. exit? According to the MUTCD Sec. 2E.20, arrow-per-lane signs are only for use at major and heavier use/intermediate interchanges. Minor and lighter use/intermediate interchanges are to be signed using conventional lane-drop signing combined with lane-use signs and pavement markings.

Not that I necessarily agree, but that's what the Manual specifies. Also see fig. 2E-11 on page 204.   
They're projecting over 1,000 vehicles per hour, possibly even into the 2's, during peak times once the site is fully built out.

storm2k

Quote from: SignBridge on July 07, 2017, 08:04:04 PM

While the Turnpike Authority has followed the MUTCD rules for the most part, they don't necessarily follow them to the letter. There's this abomination of a sign that I think provides more confusion than guidance that could have been done better.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.