News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Glossary Of Roadgeek Terms?

Started by JMoses24, August 04, 2014, 07:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMoses24

I brought this up in the "Pull-through" thread on the Traffic Control board...and wanted to bring it here.

Would a glossary of commonly used roadgeek terms be a good idea to have here? The above cited thread cannot be the only example of a term that confuses someone who's new to the community. I think such a list of terms, whether as a thread or a subforum with a thread for each word/phrase would be a good thing.

Thoughts?

Alps

I maintain a glossary at www.alpsroads.net/roads/faq.html, and I'll be happy to add to the list as people note. I just checked, and "Pull-through" is on there.

JMoses24

Quote from: Alps on August 04, 2014, 08:01:11 PM
I maintain a glossary at www.alpsroads.net/roads/faq.html, and I'll be happy to add to the list as people note. I just checked, and "Pull-through" is on there.

Awesome. Maybe have a link to that from the National Boards section, then. Just so it's easily accessible without having to search for it. :)

cpzilliacus

Never seen that before.  Excellent resource.

Have you considered adding an entry for "motorway" as a synonym for "freeway"?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 26, 2014, 09:27:51 PM

For each term there could be something that says "synonyms", and then have all possible synonyms listed!
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Alps

Never seen that before.  Excellent resource.

It's more for my own site, so right now there are no "motorways" on there. That's going to change with Australia, so I may as well prepare.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on September 26, 2014, 10:50:24 PM

For each term there could be something that says "synonyms", and then have all possible synonyms listed!

That would be a roadgeek thesaurus.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 27, 2014, 07:24:48 AM

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on September 26, 2014, 10:50:24 PM

That would be a roadgeek thesaurus.

Lol, ignore my lack of knowledge on all that stuff I learned in Literacy  :-D but a Roadgeek thesarus would be good as well
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.