News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York State Thruway

Started by Zeffy, September 22, 2014, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

machias

The Old Erie Canal Heritage Park on the Thruway is closed again. Anyone know why they keep closing it? All signs are covered and the ramps are barricaded. Didn't they just open it up again to great fanfare?

vdeane

That park is operated by a heritage society and is only open Thurs-Sun during tourist season.  I'm not sure when they plan to reopen next year, but the season ended October 30 this year.  The prior closure was to construct the museum building and renovate the historic buildings behind the lock (previously, a temporary path connected the parking lot to the lock; now, everyone must go through the building to get to the lock, and the path has been extended to some historic buildings, one of which can be toured).  Contrary to the road signs, restrooms are available, but the Thruway probably doesn't want people to rely on them given the limited hours of the park.

Access is also available from NY 31, and I suspect that's where most of the visitors come from based on the traffic when I checked it out a couple weeks ago.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on November 16, 2016, 01:00:30 PM
That park is operated by a heritage society and is only open Thurs-Sun during tourist season.  I'm not sure when they plan to reopen next year, but the season ended October 30 this year.  The prior closure was to construct the museum building and renovate the historic buildings behind the lock (previously, a temporary path connected the parking lot to the lock; now, everyone must go through the building to get to the lock, and the path has been extended to some historic buildings, one of which can be toured).  Contrary to the road signs, restrooms are available, but the Thruway probably doesn't want people to rely on them given the limited hours of the park.

Access is also available from NY 31, and I suspect that's where most of the visitors come from based on the traffic when I checked it out a couple weeks ago.
What I didn't understand, is why they really need more than singe contingency restroom, given that they are right past a service plaza.

vdeane

Probably for employees, people who came from NY 31 (and therefore aren't Thruway traffic), building codes, etc.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

machias

Quote from: vdeane on November 16, 2016, 01:00:30 PM

It can't be a plain old Parking Area off season?

vdeane

That's a good question.  There may have been concerns with people jumping the fence or something, but I suspect the Thruway maintenance forces just don't want to deal with it.

Buffaboy

Thruway at I-290 and NY-33, what's going on there? Tons of construction vehicles, dirt being moved, looks like...a widening to 5 thru lanes in each direction? Who knows.

Anyone know the contract #?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on December 02, 2016, 01:50:29 PM
Thruway at I-290 and NY-33, what's going on there? Tons of construction vehicles, dirt being moved, looks like...a widening to 5 thru lanes in each direction? Who knows.

They're adding an acceleration lane from WB NY 33 to EB I-90 and building noise walls. Lane from EB NY 33 will become exit-only for I-290. That's it.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on December 02, 2016, 02:19:11 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on December 02, 2016, 01:50:29 PM

They're adding an acceleration lane from WB NY 33 to EB I-90 and building noise walls. Lane from EB NY 33 will become exit-only for I-290. That's it.

I figured it was something superficial
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

02 Park Ave

At what milepost on the Thruway is the Rockland/Orange county line?
C-o-H

cl94

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on February 13, 2017, 10:13:18 PM
At what milepost on the Thruway is the Rockland/Orange county line?

About 35.2
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

02 Park Ave

cl94, thanks.  I wish the Thruway would put up county line signs.  They're putting up enough of the other signs.  Some practical signs would help the motorist.
C-o-H

cl94

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on February 14, 2017, 10:08:33 AM
cl94, thanks.  I wish the Thruway would put up county line signs.  They're putting up enough of the other signs.  Some practical signs would help the motorist.

It's a rough estimate from Google Maps. As far as highly-visible landmarks, it's about 1 mile north of Seven Lakes Drive.

SignBridge

According to my Thruway brochure, the county line runs right through the Sloatsburg Service Plaza which is at MP-33.

cl94

Quote from: SignBridge on February 14, 2017, 08:12:29 PM
According to my Thruway brochure, the county line runs right through the Sloatsburg Service Plaza which is at MP-33.

Which is incorrect. USGS maps and the state GIS system place the C/L about 1 mile north of Seven Lakes Drive.

cl94

From the new rest area files: they've already closed the new WB rest area near Canajoharie for rehab.

http://cbs6albany.com/news/you-paid-for-it/ypfi-taste-of-new-york-rest-area-rehab

vdeane

Found a new FHWA font sign over Easter:

route17fan

Quote from: vdeane on May 07, 2017, 04:15:12 PM
Found a new FHWA font sign over Easter:

Yay!! It's not clearview!!
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

seicer

Is it reflective? And what is up with the exit tab off-center? I saw some new installs elsewhere (not on the NYT) where it was suspended and right-aligned. Is it a district only gig?

vdeane

NY usually aligns the tab to end before the rounded corner on the sign, but many newer installs are hit and miss.  As far as whether it's reflected, I've never seen it at night, but the color of the letters isn't giving me a great feeling.  They appear to be the same shade of gray as the Clearview signs were (though I've never seen it on a sunny day, either...).

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on May 08, 2017, 01:18:11 PM
NY usually aligns the tab to end before the rounded corner on the sign, but many newer installs are hit and miss.  As far as whether it's reflected, I've never seen it at night, but the color of the letters isn't giving me a great feeling.  They appear to be the same shade of gray as the Clearview signs were (though I've never seen it on a sunny day, either...).

Can confirm it is the same bad sheeting.

seicer

Isn't that some sort of FHWA violation? Or accessibility violation at a minimum? It's not even legible at night, much less the older-than-dirt signage along I-86 that's practically invisible at night.

amroad17

Also notice the NY 332 shield is not in Series F?  :nod:
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

machias

Quote from: amroad17 on May 08, 2017, 03:15:35 PM
Also notice the NY 332 shield is not in Series F?  :nod:

That's the new design as of the adoption of the 2009 MUTCD. New York standardized the appearance of the NYS Route Marker on guide panels so they are a much closer resemblance to what you find along roadways. They also standardized the route marker so that they are much closer in appearance, regardless of who installed it. Before then, state route markers could vary quite a bit in appearance depending on who or what company manufactured the sign.

GenExpwy

Quote from: cl94 on May 08, 2017, 01:32:47 PM
Quote from: vdeane on May 08, 2017, 01:18:11 PM

Can confirm it is the same bad sheeting.

Does the Thruway make its BGS in-house, or buy them from a contractor?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.