News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Hierarchy of Interstates in Your State (from Most Vital Highways thread)

Started by OCGuy81, January 27, 2015, 12:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

Gnutella posted a great answer to another thread about the most vital highway in a given state, listing a hierarchy of Interstates in Pennsylvania.

Sounded like a great idea for a new thread.  Can you create a hierarchy of the interstates in your state from most important to least?

I'll take a crack at California.

I-5: It's a tough call, but I'd put I-5 as the most important to California for several reasons.  First off, it connects northern and southern, and while not directly serving San Francisco, it does serve other major cities, including San Diego, Los Angeles, and Sacramento. Some might argue that the cities in the Central Valley are bypassed, but I maintain I-5 as the most vital.  Plus, it's the only interstate that has termini at international borders on both ends, and is a huge artery of the west coast.

I-80: Connecting the Bay Area to I-5, Sacramento, and points east.

This is where I had a bit more trouble, and may have some disagreeing with me.

I-15:  I put this over I-10 because of the growth along it in San Berdoo, Riverside, and northern San Diego counties, as well as the heavy traffic along it en route to Las Vegas.

I-10:  A vital connection for LA to points east.

I-405: The artery of the western LA area, and southern Orange County. 

I-880: Heavily used highway in the east bay, connecting Oakland to San Jose

I-805: Just as vital to San Diego as the 5, and often busier, at least in some spots.

I-580: Another vital connection from the bay area to the 5.

I-210: Provides a bypass of downtown LA to the east.

I-680: Connects San Jose to growing east bay burbs

I-215: Alleviates (well, not really) traffic on some bad areas of the 15 in Riverside County.

I-280: Connecting San Francisco to San Jose (though 101 is more direct)

I-710: Connects downtown LA to the port of Long Beach

I-105: Link to LAX

I-605: Alternative to the 5 in LA County

I-505: Allows SB travellers on the 5 to reach I-80 and SF

I-110: Long Beach into downtown LA, similar to 710.

I-780: Provides a link from 80 to 680 and some state freeways/far eastern bay area burbs

I-605: Reliever to the 5 in LA County

I-380: Connector from 280 to SFO

I-205: Allows 580 traffic a connection to 5 and Scaramento

I-238: Roadgeeks rejoice, it made the bottom of the list.

I THINK I got em all. I know, I know, 905 WILL be signed someday, and 305 is hidden, so I left them off.

Bickendan

Oregon:

I-5
I-84
I-205
I-405
I-82
I-105

It'd get a little harder inserting in US 26 (Sunset Highway), OR 217, US 30 (Industrial), OR 22 (North Santiam), OR 569, OR 126 (Eugene-Springfield), and Delta Highway.

Zeffy

Hmm, this should be interesting, so I'll try my hand at New Jersey:

1. I-95 and the New Jersey Turnpike
This was a given, the Turnpike is probably the most important highway in the state. It provides access to major points throughout the state, and to Delaware and New York.

2. I-287
I'll give 287 my #2 mainly because it provides access to both New York City as well as upstate New York (via I-87).

3. I-80
80 is major because it provides access to the GWB from the north-central parts of the state, and links several major cities (Paterson, Hackensack, etc.) as well.

4. I-78

78 is only here for the reasons that it provides access to Newark Liberty International Airport, as well as the Holland Tunnel. West of Essex County... it's not too important honestly.

5. I-278

While I hate I-278 immensely (not so much in Jersey, just the part in Staten Island and Brooklyn), it still provides access to Staten Island and the rest of New York City, so it's decently important.

6. I-295
Provides access to the Trenton area, the Camden area, as well as south Jersey and Delaware.

7. I-676
Connects Camden to Philadelphia. I put it over I-76 because it seems like more people use 676 when I was in Philadelphia compared to I-76.

8. I-76
Again, provides access to Philadelphia in the Camden area. I'm personally not sure which one of these is more important.

9. I-280
A nice connector between the Turnpike, I-80, and Newark and The Oranges. Other than that... not really sure.

10. I-195

Connects Trenton to the Turnpike and the Jersey Shore. It's more important when everyone is traveling to the shore, but other than that, it's more of a way for people to connect to the Turnpike coming from Pennsylvania.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

kkt

Quote from: OCGuy81 on January 27, 2015, 12:16:07 PM
I THINK I got em all. I know, I know, 905 WILL be signed someday, and 305 is hidden, so I left them off.

What, no I-40?  I'd put it right after I-10 in importance to California.

Washington:

I-5 and I-90 tie for first
I-82
I-405
I-205
I-705
I-182

hm insulators

Arizona (should be pretty simple, as there are only four interstate highways that crisscross the state):

I-10, connecting Phoenix to Los Angeles, as well as the road being a transcontinental highway. The most heavily-traveled freeway in Phoenix.

I-17, connecting Phoenix to Flagstaff.

I-40 across the northern part of the state, paralleling old Route 66.

I-8 connecting Casa Grande to San Diego.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

OCGuy81

QuoteWhat, no I-40?  I'd put it right after I-10 in importance to California.

Knew I was forgetting one! Thanks, and I think your placement for it works.

hotdogPi

I'll do ALL of New England, since it is about the size of some larger states. 3dis are assumed to be non-Maine ones unless specified to be in Maine.

1. I-95
2. I-93
3. I-91
4. I-90
5. I-84
6. I-495
7. I-395
8. I-195
9. I-295
10. I-89
11. I-295 (Maine)
12. I-290
13. I-87 (not in New England, but still used by people with start and end points both in New England)
14. I-291 (Connecticut)
15. I-293
16. I-691
17. I-190
18. I-291 (Massachusetts)
19. I-391
20. I-384
21. I-393
22. I-684
23. I-395 (Maine)
24. I-195 (Maine)
25. I-189
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hm insulators on January 27, 2015, 12:52:37 PM
Arizona (should be pretty simple, as there are only four interstate highways that crisscross the state):

I-10, connecting Phoenix to Los Angeles, as well as the road being a transcontinental highway. The most heavily-traveled freeway in Phoenix.

I-19 to the Mexican Border

Forgot one.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

1995hoo

I'll take a stab at this for Virginia.

I-95: I think it's more important than I-81 because it carries so much in-state traffic going from one part of the state to another. I-81 is important, but a lot of the long-distance truck traffic is just passing through.

I-81: I rank it ahead of I-64 because of its importance as a thru route and because I-64 has more good alternative routes (US-460; VA-5; US-60; US-17; US-250; US-33).

I-495: The Capital Beltway. Northern Virginia would choke without it.

I-64: Connects the populated areas of Hampton Roads to the rest of the Commonwealth and to I-95 and I-81.

I-395: Connects I-95 to the District of Columbia.

I-66: Connects I-81 to the I-95 corridor and to the District of Columbia. I think I-66 is an important connector in a similar way to I-78 further north in that both allow movement between two major north-south corridors and can represent "transfer points" of a sort.

I-264: Backbone of the Hampton Roads region.

I-664: Without it, the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel would be even worse than it is. I could potentially flip this and I-264.

I-295: Richmond/Petersburg bypass route. Traffic in Richmond used to get pretty bad before this opened (recognizing the tolls then in place made it worse). It'd be much worse today without this road, but at the same time, the road is arguably overbuilt in some places for the traffic it carries. While that's not a bad thing, it suggests maybe it's less important than it was intended to be.

I-85: Connects the I-95 corridor to the population and business centers of the South in Atlanta and Charlotte. It's an important route nationally, but I don't think it's particularly significant in the scheme of things for most Virginians.

I-77: While it's a useful route south to Charlotte, I don't think it provides anything indispensable that could not be reasonably accomplished via other roads. For most of the Commonwealth's population, it's just as easy to use US-29 down to Greensboro, or some other route to I-85 (such as I-95, I-64, or US-58).

I-581: Connects downtown Roanoke and Salem to I-81. Roanoke is by far the most important population center in Southwest Virginia.

I-464: I've never driven on this road and I don't have a great sense for this versus I-195. I ranked it higher just because it looks like a longer route that would serve more traffic. Relief route connecting the south side of Hampton Roads to downtown Norfolk and to I-264.

I-195: Relief route for the western side of downtown Richmond connecting the Powhite Parkway to I-95 and I-64. It wouldn't be the end of the world if this weren't there.

I-564: Kind of a tossup between this and I-381 since neither is of much importance to the vast majority of Virginians (and I have never driven on either one to help inform my thoughts). I-564 serves the naval base in Norfolk. I put it higher than I-381 because I think Norfolk is more important to the Commonwealth than Bristol. Most people probably think of Bristol as being in Tennessee anyway because that's where the speedway is.

I-381: See above. Bristol is a long way from anywhere.

If the infamous I-366 were designated as such, I'd probably slot it between I-85 and I-77 on the above list.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

empirestate

Quote from: kkt on January 27, 2015, 12:47:04 PM

I-8? I-980?

Quote from: Zeffy on January 27, 2015, 12:41:00 PM
4. I-78
78 is only here for the reasons that it provides access to Newark Liberty International Airport, as well as the Holland Tunnel. West of Essex County... it's not too important honestly.

Connects NYC metro to Allentown, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, etc. It might not serve much in the western part of NJ, but if it weren't there, you'd feel it big time.

Quote from: 1 on January 27, 2015, 01:07:38 PM
13. I-87 (not in New England, but still used by people with start and end points both in New England)

And let's not forget I-495 (NY), which does serve important portions of New England such as Suffolk County.   ;-)

pianocello

Iowa:

I-80
I-35
I-380
I-29
I-235
I-74
I-480
I-680
I-280
I-129

This is pretty straightforward; I put I-380 before I-29 because it serves more population centers within the state, even though I-29 is more important for interstate traffic. I was on the fence about prioritizing urban freeways (480, 74, 235) vs. bypasses (280, 680), but I'm satisfied where I put them.

Good luck to whoever decides to do this with Illinois.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

hbelkins

Kentucky:

I-75
I-65
I-64
I-264
I-275
I-265
I-71
I-471
I-24

West Virginia:

I-77
I-64
I-79
I-470
I-70
I-68

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

OCGuy81

QuoteI-8? I-980?

Wow, I knew I typed this early in the morning, but wow.... :crazy:

Thanks for catching those.

I'd put I-8 right after I-10, and 980 between 605 and 505.

roadman65

Florida is like this.
1- I-95 is the major through route to Miami from the northeast and serves all the Atlantic Coastal communities.
2- I-75 is the major connection to the Central part of the US for tourism and is a good trucking route between Indy via I-24 and I-65,  Cincinnati, Detroit, Atlanta, and Tampa.  South of Tampa it is main thoroughfare for all the SW FL cities especially the latest development of Collier, Lee, Charlotte, and Sarasota counties.  Though built in 1985, it now comes to be a route Florida cannot live without.
3- I-4 serves all of Central Florida as well as being the main freeway of Orlando.  Links Lakeland, Winter Haven, Kissimmee, Orlando, Sanford, Deltona, and Daytona Beach together.
4- I-10 is the major east west route along the southern Gulf, and provides commerce between Jacksonville, Mobile, New Orleans, and Houston.
5- I-275 is a regional commuter route for the Tampa Bay area linking both sides of the Bay as well as providing work bound traffic between Tampa and Pasco/ Hernando Counties.
6- I-595 is the link to the Port from the I-75 corridor and allows tourists arriving in Fort Lauderdale International access to the SW Florida cities of Naples and Fort Myers.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

KEK Inc.

Washington:

I-82
I-405
I-205
I-705
I-182

I'd argue that I-705 should be tied with I-182 -- factoring I-705's lack of length and I-182's lack of vehicles.
Take the road less traveled.

adventurernumber1

I'll see if I can give this a shot with Georgia, but other Georgians may have a better list and be more knowledgeable with all the traffic counts on the interstates and such, for I am still young and have much knowledge to gain. But here it goes!!  :spin:

1. I-75: There is no doubt at all Interstate 75 is the most important interstate to Georgia. It serves the Atlanta Metro Area, as well as the smaller Macon & Valdosta areas, and it connects much of Georgia to points south and north. It is a major route for vacationers coming from the Great Lakes area down to the South and Florida. It also passes by the busiest airport in the world (Atlanta's). And the fact that I-75 is continuously at least three lanes each way through the entire state (with the exception of I-475 being 3 lanes each way in Macon), even through the rural parts of south GA, further proves just how important and highly used I-75 in Georgia is.

2. I-95: I say I-95 would have to be second because of it being a major route for northeasterners coming down to the beaches and vacation spots of Florida. It also passes by the Savannah area and the smaller but decent-sized Brunswick area, as well as all the coastal towns and beaches in Georgia. And it, like I-75, is at least three lanes each way through the state to prove its importance.

3. I-85: It was a hard decision for third place between I-85 & I-20 but I'd have to say Interstate 85 takes the spot. It serves the Atlanta Metro Area, and it connects it with the third largest city in the state (via I-185). It also connects Georgia with Montgomery, Greenville SC, Charlotte, and other points northeast. It also passes by the very busy Atlanta Airport.

4. I-20: Interstate 20 is as well very vital for Georgia, as it connects the first and second largest cities in the state, and it connects Georgia with other points east and west.

5. I-285: Interstate 285 is very vital for the Atlanta Metro Area, and it can't do its job on its own so an outer Atlanta beltway would be so very useful. I-285 is already clogged up with traffic, so if it disappeared...well...Lord have mercy on the surface streets in Atlanta  :-D

6. I-16: Interstate 16 is important as it connects Savannah with Macon, and Atlanta (via I-75). It is also an important route for trucks coming west from the busy Savannah port. I-16 also serves (while it is a part of the state with little population) many towns in rural middle and eastern Georgia, and gets them on the interstate system.

7. I-185: I'd have to say Interstate 185 earns its spot here as it connects the third largest city in the state (Columbus) with the interstate system, and the huge Atlanta Metro Area (via I-85). Without I-185, Columbus would be rather isolated from the interstate system, which wouldn't be good for a city of its size.

8. I-475: Interstate 475 is pretty important as it has its job as a bypass for Macon. Many of those many travelers on I-75 coming from points north down to Florida would make great use out of I-475, and it would be rather crazy without the interstate, especially since I-75 is only 4 overall lanes through much of the Macon area.

9. I-520: Interstate 520 is very important for the Augusta area, as it serves as a southern bypass.

10. I-675: I might have to say I-675 is next, as it is important for travelers on I-75 (coming from points south of the Atlanta Metro Area) to hitch a ride onto the eastern part of the I-285 beltway if needing to do so.

11. I-985: Interstate 985 is important in connecting the northeastern-most suburbs of Atlanta (and northeastern GA) with I-85 and the rest of Atlanta. It also serves quite a few suburbs and the decently-sized Gainesville.

12. I-575: Interstate 575 is not far at all behind I-985 in importance, for it connects many northern Atlanta suburbs with I-75 and the rest of Atlanta. It also connects some of the Atlanta area with the Appalachain mountains. It serves quite a few suburbs, too.

13. I-59: Interstate 59 passes through so little of Georgia (a very sparsely populated area, too) that it's disappearance wouldn't cause too much havoc. But it does connect the northwest tip of Georgia with I-24 and Alabama.

14. I-24: Pretty much for the same reason above. It goes through too little of Georgia for its disappearance to cause too much havoc for Georgia. However, it is still important, particularly for people wanting to go from Chattanooga to Nashville or from Chattanooga to Birmingham (via I-59).

15. I-516: Finally, we have Interstate 516. While it is decently important for the Savannah area, it is very, very short, and its disappearance wouldn't cause the earth to stop orbit  :D
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

kkt

Quote from: KEK Inc. on January 27, 2015, 05:25:47 PM

Washington:

I-82
I-405
I-205
I-705
I-182

I'd argue that I-705 should be tied with I-182 -- factoring I-705's lack of length and I-182's lack of vehicles.

Possible.  I was trying to think in terms of how inconvenient it would be to return to whatever there was before the interstate was built, and I had the impression there was lots of traffic congestion in Tacoma between train tracks and truck and stadium traffic.

pumpkineater2

Quote from: 1 on January 27, 2015, 01:08:27 PM

Forgot one.

And I-15. :spin: Though its safe to say that's the least important.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

Gnutella

Here's the list I posted in the other topic...

Hierarchy of Interstates in Pennsylvania

1. I-76 (Pennsylvania Turnpike)
Serves Pennsylvania's two largest metropolitan areas and its state capital/fifth-largest metropolitan area

2. I-476 (Northeast Extension)
Serves three of Pennsylvania's four largest metropolitan areas

3. I-95
Serves the Philadelphia metropolitan area, and functions as the primary corridor for the most heavily populated region of the United States

4. I-81
Serves two of Pennsylvania's five largest metropolitan areas and its state capital, and functions as an international trade corridor between the Gulf of Mexico and the St. Lawrence Seaway

5. I-78
Serves two of Pennsylvania's five largest metropolitan areas and its state capital, and functions as a direct route between the New York metropolitan area and the interior of Pennsylvania

6. I-79
Serves the Pittsburgh and Erie metropolitan areas, and functions as an emerging international trade corridor between the Carolinas and Canada's "Golden Horseshoe"

7. I-84
Serves the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre metropolitan area, and functions as a direct route between Pennsylvania and New England

8. I-80
Indirectly serves the State College, Williamsport and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre metropolitan areas, and functions as an express corridor between the New York and Chicago metropolitan areas

9. I-83
Serves the Harrisburg and York metropolitan areas, and functions as a direct route from the interior of Pennsylvania to Baltimore and Chesapeake Bay

10. I-99
Serves the Altoona, State College and Williamsport metropolitan areas, and functions as a necessary north/south corridor in central Pennsylvania

11. I-376
Serves the Pittsburgh metropolitan area, and functions as a connection to the industrial towns in the Beaver, Mahoning and Shenango River Valleys

12. I-90
Serves the Erie metropolitan area, and functions as a connection to other Great Lakes metropolitan areas

13. I-180
Serves the Williamsport metropolitan area, and functions as a segment of an international trade corridor between the Chesapeake Bay/Hampton Roads and Canada's "Golden Horseshoe"

14. I-380
Serves the Scranton/Wilkes Barre metropolitan area and the Pocono Mountains, and functions as a direct route between western New York and the New York metropolitan area.

15. I-176/I-276/I-279/I-283/I-579/I-676 (tie)
Serves local traffic in various Pennsylvania metropolitan areas.

21. I-86
Serves the southern tier of upstate New York.

Somebody already did Georgia, but I had a few quibbles with it because I try to rank Interstates based on both their intrastate and interstate needs. So here go...

Hierarchy of Interstates in Georgia

1. I-75
Serves Atlanta and Macon plus Albany indirectly, and functions as an international trade and domestic tourism corridor

2. I-85
Serves Atlanta plus Columbus and Athens indirectly, and functions as the main corridor for the emerging Piedmont megalopolis

3. I-20
Serves Atlanta and Augusta, and functions as the primary east/west corridor across the deep South

4. I-16
Serves Macon and Savannah plus Atlanta indirectly, and functions as an emerging international trade corridor

5. I-95
Serves Savannah and coastal Georgia, and functions as an international trade and domestic tourism corridor

6. I-285
Functions as the lone beltway in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the U.S.

7. I-475
Functions as a bypass of Macon for long-distance travelers

8. I-185
Serves Columbus, and functions as a domestic tourism corridor

9. I-985
Serves Gainesville, and functions as a direct route from Atlanta to the north Georgia mountains

10. I-675
Functions as a shortcut between I-75 and I-285 near Atlanta

11. I-59
Serves barely anything in Georgia, but functions as an international trade corridor

12. I-516/I-520 (tie)
Serves local traffic in various Georgia metropolitan areas

13. I-24
Serves Tennessee.

JakeFromNewEngland

Connecticut:
1. Interstate 91 and 95 (Tie): Both are pretty important interstates. I-91 connects New Haven to Hartford, while I-95 connects most of CT to NYC, Boston, etc.
2. Interstate 84: The only major E-W interstate in CT. It serves Danbury, Waterbury, and Hartford.
3. Interstate 395: Connects the I-95 corridor to the casinos and Worcester, Mass.
4. Interstate 691: Interstate 691: Connects I-91 to I-84 and vice versa.
5. Interstate 384: Connects I-84 to the eastern Hartford suburbs and Providence via US 6 or US 44.
6. Interstate 291: Serves as a bypass route for Hartford (It should be a full route..). Connects I-91 to I-84.

Alex4897

Delaware:
I-95: Obvious reasons
I-295: Only connection to New Jersey, handles a lot of regional traffic
I-495: If the bridge failure last summer demonstrated anything it's that this road is an incredibly important bypass
👉😎👉

ski-man

thenetwork

Quote from: pumpkineater2 on January 27, 2015, 07:32:52 PM
Quote from: 1 on January 27, 2015, 01:08:27 PM

Forgot one.

And I-15. :spin: Though its safe to say that's the least important.

I would definitely put I-15 at least above I-19 and possibly one or 2 spots above that.  I-15 funnels traffic from Utah and states east and north into Vegas and Southern California.  Maybe as not as busy as I-15 south of Sin City, but it's more of a major cross-country, long distance travel route than I-19 and I-17.

thenetwork

COLORADO: 

- I-25
- I-70
- I-225
- I-270
- I-76

Although personally, I would put I-70 above I-25 mainly for its vital link between Denver and points west, but I-25 overall has more traffic per mile across more of it's presence in CO than I-70 does, thanks to it's desolation east of Denver.

wriddle082

OK here goes nothing...

SOUTH CAROLINA:

I-26
I-85
I-95
I-77
I-73 (if they ever build it, this is my guess as to where it would land)
I-20
I-385
I-126
I-526
I-185
I-520
I-585

TENNESSEE:

I-40
I-24
I-75
I-65
I-81
I-240
I-55
I-26
I-640
I-440
I-275
I-140
I-124
TN 840 (let's think of it an interstate for these purposes)
I-155

NORTH CAROLINA:

I-40 & I-85 tied for 1st
I-77
I-95
I-26
I-440
I-485
I-240
I-277
I-540
I-73 (at least around Greensboro)
I-495 (I believe it's non-future around the Knightdale bypass)
I-74 (at least from Winston-Salem to High Point)
I-795
I-140

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.