News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2015 March Madness

Started by US 41, March 13, 2015, 05:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think will win the 2015 NCAA Tournament?

Kentucky
Virginia
Wisconsin
Duke
Villanova
Gonzaga
Arizona
Other

ET21

Quote from: US 41 on March 17, 2015, 07:06:34 PM
I really don't think Kentucky will finish undefeated. The SEC really isn't that good. I mean UK was taken to OT against Ole Miss and Texas A&M. If Arizona, Gonzaga, or Virginia had Kentucky's schedule those teams could be undefeated right now too. Is UK really really good? Yes without question, but there are other really good teams in the bracket too.

If these teams get far enough to play UK I feel as though these teams have very good shots at beating Kentucky.

Sweet 16
Maryland - They beat Wisconsin the best team in the BIG TEN. If Maryland played very good they could make the big upset.

Elite 8
Notre Dame - I have Notre Dame beating UK in my bracket. Notre Dame has won 5 straight and 3 of those were against very very good opponents (Louisville, UNC, and Duke).

Wichita State - The Shockers have potential to get on a run. I have them losing to Notre Dame in the Sweet 16, but really Wichita could win that game. The Shockers would definitely have revenge on their minds and would not at all be intimidated by the Wildcats.

Final 4
Arizona- My pick to win the whole tournament this year. They are a very very good team.

Wisconsin- Also a very good team that dominated the BIG TEN this year.

Championship
Virginia- Virginia was ranked #2 most of the season. They have also beaten UNC and Louisvile this season.

Gonzaga- Their only 2 losses were to Arizona (@Ariz and in OT) and to BYU. I have Gonzaga in my Final 4 and if they were to win and get into the national championship game, Kentucky better watch out, because the Bulldogs are way better than A&M or Ole Miss.

Others that could- Duke, Villanova, Iowa State
Long Shots (cinderellas / mid majors)- BYU, Northern Iowa

I have Maryland being upset by Valpo  :D
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

US 41

Quote from: ET21 on March 18, 2015, 01:28:26 PM

I have Maryland being upset by Valpo  :D

I think Valparaiso could beat Maryland as well although I didn't pick it in my bracket. A couple of upsets I also think could happen in the first (technically second) round is #13 Eastern Washington over #4 Georgetown, #16 Lafayette over #1 Villanova (go ahead call me crazy), and #14 Albany over #3 Oklahoma.  Oklahoma and Georgetown have a history of losing in the first round of the tourney. Villanova on the other hand usually doesn't play well in the tourney either. They almost lost to 15 seed Robert Morris in OT one year. Villanova only beat Bucknell by 7 and Lafayette beat them by 6. Villanova has also played close games to some of the really bad teams in the Big East. I see Villanova winning by only 10 points or less tonight. Expect that game to be close.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

hm insulators

Wow, the tournament is less than four hours old (not counting those dumb "play-in" games on Tuesday), and we've already had one major upset (Iowa State going down) and almost had another one--Notre Dame just barely got out of that one! :wow:
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

US 41

Wow! Just wow. Two Big 12 teams already gone. Any bets on whether Albany can make the Big 12 0-3 vs. 14 seeds this season when they play Oklahoma. Georgia State going on a 13-0 run to close the game was absolutely crazy. That 3 was clutch though.

hm insulators

What a crazy afternoon/evening! Even by March Madness standards, this was extreme: Bracket-busters, buzzer beaters, controversial calls, flying footwear, coaches falling off stools, teams that all of a sudden can't sink free throws, you name it!  :-D :spin: Love to watch more, but I'm hitting the sack; even nine weeks after my surgery, I still get tired easily at the end of the day.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

rickmastfan67

US 41

Hoping for a Wichita Kentucky rematch!

pianocello

I think it would be ironically awesome if Wichita State went on to beat Kentucky.

As a Valpo student, it would have been awesome if we had beaten Maryland, but we came close and we have an extremely young team; there's a ton of hope for next year.

As for my bracket, it's pretty far gone now. After three hours, I had lost one of my final four teams (Iowa State), and after three days, I lost my champion (Villanova). Now all I can do is hope for my runners-up (Kentucky and Wisconsin) to do well.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

rickmastfan67

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

Quote from: pianocello on March 22, 2015, 08:50:52 PM
I think it would be ironically awesome if Wichita State went on to beat Kentucky.

Probably not going to happen. Wichita was a "soft" unbeaten last year because they played in a mid-major conference. I didn't think UK beating them last year was really that much of an upset. And this year's UK team is worlds better than last year's.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 41

Quote from: hbelkins on March 22, 2015, 11:33:52 PM
Quote from: pianocello on March 22, 2015, 08:50:52 PM

Probably not going to happen. Wichita was a "soft" unbeaten last year because they played in a mid-major conference. I didn't think UK beating them last year was really that much of an upset. And this year's UK team is worlds better than last year's.

Yes Wichita isn't as good as last year, but Kentucky hasn't been overly impressive so far in the tournament. Halfway through the first half Hampton was only down by 1 and they let Cincinnati hang around for a long time. That said I think a Wichita / UK game would come down to the wire. Wichita players would have revenge on their minds and Kentucky players might be a little overconfident going into the game.

jp the roadgeek

Lost Wichita State tonight, but 'Zona is battling and KU is through.  Gonzaga and Luvl still alive too.  So I'm in good shape for now
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

US 41

If Louisville, Gonzaga, and Duke all win today I will have 7 out of 8 Elite 8 teams picked correctly. Unfortunately I picked Virginia to lose in the national championship game. But overall my bracket is really good so far. Although I'm not too confident at this point that Notre Dame, Arizona, or Gonzaga will actually get to the Final 4.

Henry

Hopefully, my alma mater (UCLA) will give Gonzaga a challenge. Not expecting them to win, but it would be great if they did.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

1995hoo

Since my first alma mater lost, I'm all for my second.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US 41

I'm in the 98.7 PCT (top 1.3%) on my ESPN bracket right now after Louisville won.

kurumi

My team got bounced from the freaking NIT. But at least there are some very recent laurels to rest on (and we* are still the last team to beat Kentucky :-)

* I don't play for UConn, and probably shouldn't use this pronoun
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

rickmastfan67

Still have 3 of my Final 4 picks alive. lol.

oscar

I don't have the knowledge or skill to do brackets, even for the women's tournament which I follow more closely (one of my nieces grew tall enough to inspire "basketball scholarship" dreams, but even though didn't happen I keep casually watching).  My favorite teams in both tournaments have been getting knocked out left and right, so any brackets I might've assembled would've been pretty much destroyed by now.

Yesterday, the season ended for one of the tournament's cool names, Iowa's Samantha Logic.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hm insulators

Now here we go: we shall find out this weekend who will be in the Final Four! :clap:

Buck87

Two great games last night, Wisconsin over Arizona on the strength of a ton of 3's, and then  Notre Dame nearly pulled off the upset of Kentucky but fell just short

hm insulators

And now we know who is in the Final Four: Kentucky, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Duke. Some good games this weekend!

Is it my imagination or has the free-throw shooting this tournament been especially poor? Clank! Clank! Clank! Even the good teams have some mighty poor free-throw shooting. Who's teaching these kids to shoot free-throws, Shaquille Oneal? On another forum where I have a bracket, someone was mentioning that kids at school would rather work on their slam-dunks and between-the-legs dribbling and neglect their foul-shot practice. You gotta sink those free throws; they can win or lose the game (look at Kentucky last night almost losing to Notre Dame in large part because of bad free-throw shooting after simply brushing aside West Virginia like an annoying fly Thursday to the tune of almost 40 points).

triplemultiplex

Quote from: hm insulators on March 29, 2015, 08:00:25 PM
And now we know who is in the Final Four: Kentucky, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Duke. Some good games this weekend!

Is it my imagination or has the free-throw shooting this tournament been especially poor? Clank! Clank! Clank! Even the good teams have some mighty poor free-throw shooting. Who's teaching these kids to shoot free-throws, Shaquille Oneal? On another forum where I have a bracket, someone was mentioning that kids at school would rather work on their slam-dunks and between-the-legs dribbling and neglect their foul-shot practice. You gotta sink those free throws; they can win or lose the game (look at Kentucky last night almost losing to Notre Dame in large part because of bad free-throw shooting after simply brushing aside West Virginia like an annoying fly Thursday to the tune of almost 40 points).

Counter-point: Did you watch the Arizona-Wisconsin game? I think I could count the number of missed free-throws by both teams on one hand.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

1995hoo

LET'S GO DUKE!!!!!  :D :D :D :D :D

(In case anyone wonders why I say that in view of my username.....I got my undergraduate degree at UVA and my JD at Duke. Since UVA were eliminated, for whom would one expect me to root?)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.