News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Planning a trip around superior

Started by carpenters nail, June 15, 2015, 09:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

It was nice reading about your trip. I was born, raised, and still live in Michigan (currently Grand Rapids - west side of the state). A couple of my roadgeek buddies and I are planning on doing the loop around Lake Superior in July 2016 on our way to the Duluth road meet that Patrick Lilja is hosting. We will drive up to Sault Ste. Marie (not sure whether we'll stay on the Michigan side or the Ontario side) the first day. The second day we will drive to Thunder Bay. Then two days in the Duluth area for the meet. On our way back to Grand Rapids we'll stay in Iron Mountain, Michigan for a night.

I'm getting really excited about the trip but will have to be mindful of keeping enough gas in my car along Highway 17 in Ontario.
-A.J. from Michigan

carpenters nail

Not sure if you'll get this. I've been out of pocket for a while, so I JUST read your post. Not to worry, they have gas in Canada. The only thing I would definitely recommend is that you use a card. If you pay with cash, they ALL trade you $ for $, even though yours is worth more. EX: If it says $1 Canadian, and you give them $1 US, you get NO change back. If you use a card, it will charge you the exchange rate,(.75-.85, whatever the rate is at the time).
  The ride is not just chock-a-block full of scenery, but, we did it on a goldwing, camping along the way and really enjoyed it. I still say it will be a nice ride in a car,too.
  We missed a lot of the waterfalls on the west side, due to the time of year we went, but, I would think that you should get to see some.

Always remember, if you've got a minute- take it, you never know what you might be missing. It just might be AWESOME.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.