News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

PA-NJ-DE Delaware River Crossings

Started by BrianP, August 04, 2015, 10:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SteveG1988 on August 15, 2015, 07:41:14 PM
http://www.nj.com/salem/index.ssf/2015/08/delaware_memorial_bridge_traffic_delays_to_continu.html

Painting causing delays over the delaware memorial bridge.

Big time delays. 1 lane out of 4 closed is resulting in 5+ mile delays on both sides of the river.

Sitting in it today myself, it appears some of the issue is trucks trying to make it up the bridge. The bridge is steep and the trucks sometimes to have a problem with it.  Maybe they should try restricting trucks to only the right-most open lane until the mid-span point.

SteveG1988

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 15, 2015, 09:23:43 PM
http://www.nj.com/salem/index.ssf/2015/08/delaware_memorial_bridge_traffic_delays_to_continu.html

Big time delays. 1 lane out of 4 closed is resulting in 5+ mile delays on both sides of the river.

Sitting in it today myself, it appears some of the issue is trucks trying to make it up the bridge. The bridge is steep and the trucks sometimes to have a problem with it.  Maybe they should try restricting trucks to only the right-most open lane until the mid-span point.

That is the normal way trucks handle it. And yeah it is steeper than it looks if you are in a truck. I know mine drops gears going over it.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Alex4897

Flying into Philly last week offered a complete vantage point of the backups, the New Jersey side was stopped dead clear past the toll plaza.
👉😎👉

SteveG1988

Quote from: Alex4897 on August 16, 2015, 08:40:42 AM

Flying into Philly last week offered a complete vantage point of the backups, the New Jersey side was stopped dead clear past the toll plaza.

At least they're painting it. They cannot afford to do the bridge at one time, so they do one bit at a time. Those towers have needed repainting for years, and this is the first time they've stripped it down to bare metal since they were built. It will retain the same color "Sea Foam Federal Green" which is a nice color for these bridges.

www.delawareonline.com/story/news/local/2015/08/10/million-spent-repaint-delaware-memorial-bridge/31432197/
Roads Clinched

jeffandnicole

Another article regarding the Delaware Memorial Bridge painting, with some of the same info as in the Delaware Online article Steve presented above:  http://www.nj.com/salem/index.ssf/2015/09/44_stories_above_the_delaware_river_bridge_paint_j.html#incart_river

jpi

Ok, so the New Jersey\ north bound span is done and no lanes closed? My wife and I are going to Atlantic City coming from central PA and I plan to cross this bridge.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

noelbotevera

Quote from: jpi on September 08, 2015, 04:14:15 PM
Ok, so the New Jersey\ north bound span is done and no lanes closed? My wife and I are going to Atlantic City coming from central PA and I plan to cross this bridge.
Try the Walt Whitman. If it doesn't work, then try the Trenton Makes bridge, because that's your last chance to cross the Delaware until the NYC metro.

Zeffy

You also have the Calhoun Street bridge in Trenton, the Washingtons Crossing bridge off of Rt. 29 in Titusville, the New Hope - Lambertville bridge (US 202) in New Hope, PA / Lambertville, NJ, the Rt. 12 bridge in Frenchtown... I don't consider any of those in the NYC metro.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

PHLBOS

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 08, 2015, 05:30:33 PM
Try the Walt Whitman. If it doesn't work, then try the Trenton Makes bridge, because that's your last chance to cross the Delaware until the NYC metro.
Given that he's heading that way during the weekend of the Pope's visit, per this thread; using the Walt Whitman (mainly I-76 leading up to it) will not be an option.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

noelbotevera

Quote from: Zeffy on September 08, 2015, 05:39:00 PM
You also have the Calhoun Street bridge in Trenton, the Washingtons Crossing bridge off of Rt. 29 in Titusville, the New Hope - Lambertville bridge (US 202) in New Hope, PA / Lambertville, NJ, the Rt. 12 bridge in Frenchtown... I don't consider any of those in the NYC metro.
The last two I'd say roughly in the metro. NYC metro takes a ton of northern NJ, and the NJ 29 and Calhoun St. bridge I never knew about.

jeffandnicole

It all depends on your exact timing, but the DRBA has said they will have all lanes open during the Pope's visit in Philly. You should be fine.

Seriously dude. You gave him the option of using a bridge where the highway will be closed leading to it during his travel time, and a 25 mph bridge one would access via local residential streets after hitting some intersections with traffic lights in PA, and no easy connection to other highways in NJ. Yet, you ignored the US 1 bridge right next to it. And you left out several other highway bridges between the two states, including the PA-NJ Turnpike bridge which from Lancaster would be an appropriate alternative.

noelbotevera

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 08, 2015, 06:20:43 PM

It all depends on your exact timing, but the DRBA has said they will have all lanes open during the Pope's visit in Philly. You should be fine.

Seriously dude. You gave him the option of using a bridge where the highway will be closed leading to it during his travel time, and a 25 mph bridge one would access via local residential streets after hitting some intersections with traffic lights in PA, and no easy connection to other highways in NJ. Yet, you ignored the US 1 bridge right next to it. And you left out several other highway bridges between the two states, including the PA-NJ Turnpike bridge which from Lancaster would be an appropriate alternative.
Calm down. I only know a select few bridges that cross the Delaware and some other bridges I later picked up. I went to AC over two months before him.

jpi

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 08, 2015, 06:27:42 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 08, 2015, 06:20:43 PM

Calm down. I only know a select few bridges that cross the Delaware and some other bridges I later picked up. I went to AC over two months before him.
Thanks for the info guys, Noelbotevera- the Del. mem. Bridge is the most direct route for me to take into Jersey from Lancaster Co. I was originally going to go through Philly until I found out about the Pope visit and quickly scrapped that plan. It has been MANY years since I was in Trenton and barely know how to manuver through the city and that would be too far out of my way unless I was heading to Seaside Hights. It will be Sunday evening so traffic on 41 from Gap should be ok and US 40 through South Jersey should be fine too.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Zeffy

Quote from: jpi on September 08, 2015, 06:39:57 PM
Thanks for the info guys, Noelbotevera- the Del. mem. Bridge is the most direct route for me to take into Jersey from Lancaster Co. I was originally going to go through Philly until I found out about the Pope visit and quickly scrapped that plan. It has been MANY years since I was in Trenton and barely know how to manuver through the city and that would be too far out of my way unless I was heading to Seaside Hights. It will be Sunday evening so traffic on 41 from Gap should be ok and US 40 through South Jersey should be fine too.

The Calhoun Street Bridge in Trenton allows direct access to NJ 29 south which leads to I-295 which you can take or I-195 to the Turnpike and then the Atlantic City Expressway. Only a bit of navigating would be needed for either the Trenton Makes or the Trenton Freeway bridge (US 1), where only a few turns are really needed.

Of course, yes, if you are coming from Lancaster County, PA, you should probably just stick with the Delaware Memorial Bridge rather than detouring up to Trenton.

Also, have you considered the Tacony-Palmyra bridge (NJ 73), or is that too close to Philadelphia meaning it would be a clusterfuck? There's also the NJ 413 bridge in Burlington (for lack of a better name) you can use, both of which are much closer to where you can still easily access Atlantic City.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NJRoadfan

That poor Commodore Barry Bridge gets no love. :P The route that goes over it takes you directly to AC!

Zeffy

Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 08, 2015, 06:58:51 PM
That poor Commodore Barry Bridge gets no love. :P The route that goes over it takes you directly to AC!

For some reason, it's the only Delaware River crossing bridge that I will completely blank on.

noelbotevera

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Why did I have to choose the Walt Whitman and NJ 42 into AC.............ugh

ekt8750

Shhhh. As a Delaware County resident, we like to keep the Commodore a secret lol

jeffandnicole

I think, when someone is asking for directions, people need to keep the route in mind.  Telling someone to go over a 15 mph (Calhoun) or 25 mph (Trenton Makes) bridge, which requires going thru a small town (Morrisville), which requires exiting a fast highway (US 1), which would require someone exit an even faster highway (PA Turnpike), is idiotic at best, unless that person has put in a request to see small bridges or other landmarks along the route.  Especially when the advise given taking all these slow roads would put someone in the same exact spot as if they just stayed on the highways in the first place.

Quote from: Zeffy on September 08, 2015, 06:46:01 PM
The Calhoun Street Bridge in Trenton allows direct access to NJ 29 south

What about the part in PA where he would need to drive to get to the Calhoun Street Bridge in the first place.  He's not going to copter over to the bridge and just start driving from that point; he needs to drive there first.  And there's a whole lot of local roads needed to get there.

Quotewhich leads to I-295 which you can take or I-195 to the Turnpike and then the Atlantic City Expressway. Only a bit of navigating would be needed for either the Trenton Makes or the Trenton Freeway bridge (US 1), where only a few turns are really needed.

He has seemed to prefer just a direct route, not a sightseeing tour of New Jersey.  And considering both 295 and the NJ Turnpike run in a SW direction from Trenton, he's needlessly going the wrong direction.  And both may have issues regarding traffic for the Pope's visit.

Also, have you considered the Tacony-Palmyra bridge (NJ 73), or is that too close to Philadelphia meaning it would be a clusterfuck? There's also the NJ 413 bridge in Burlington (for lack of a better name) you can use, both of which are much closer to where you can still easily access Atlantic City.

Again - quit with the sightseeing tours.  How would he get to the Tacony Bridge?  Or the Burlington Bristol Bridge (which is that bridge's name)?  You're trying to give advise how to travel around NJ...but you need to look at the PA side as well.  What possible sense would it make to be going over the single lane bridges on a long roadtrip when faster routes exist?

Honestly, much of this thread is just frustrating regarding giving what should be easy directions from Lancaster to AC.  There's plenty of info out there regarding the traffic issues that may develop because of the Pope's visit, which *some* people are trying to help him avoid.

roadman65

I think, IMO the US 30 to PA/DE 41 to DE 141, to US 40 via I-95/295 is the best and more direct route if you want to bypass Philly.  In addition there are several other back roads that parallel US 30 if you want to avoid the traffic on that congested highway.  Just cut over to Strasburg and head east on its route out of town and you will join PA 41 in Gap.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ixnay

Quote from: roadman65 on September 08, 2015, 10:09:41 PM
I think, IMO the US 30 to PA/DE 41 to DE 141, to US 40 via I-95/295 is the best and more direct route if you want to bypass Philly.  In addition there are several other back roads that parallel US 30 if you want to avoid the traffic on that congested highway.  Just cut over to Strasburg and head east on its route out of town and you will join PA 41 in Gap.

The route from Strasburg to Gap is PA 741.  It goes past the Strasburg RR (which I rode as a kid and as a 30something), the RR Museum of PA (no admission required to browse or buy books at its gift shop), and the Choo Choo Barn (nice toy train display, toy train component inventory, and train magazine selection).

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

jemacedo9

US 30 is awful from the end of the Lancaster by-pass to PA 41...PA 340 -> PA772 is a little better.  PA 741 isn't too bad either, but you would have to exit US 30 at the PA 462 exit, turn right, and then a left onto Strasburg Pike.  That will lead you to PA 741. 

But Lancaster County is pretty big...where in Lancaster County?  If in Western Lancaster County, I think the above getting to PA/DE41 to the Del Mem Br is prob best. But if in Southern Lancaster County, US 222 -> PA 472 -> US 1 north to PA 41 would be better than going up to US 30. 

And if in northern Lancaster, if not avoiding tolls, I'd probably recommend the PA Turnpike -> I-76 E -> I-476 S -> I-95 S to the Commodore Barry.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jemacedo9 on September 09, 2015, 09:18:14 AM
Lancaster, if not avoiding tolls, I'd probably recommend the PA Turnpike -> I-76 E -> I-476 S -> I-95 S to the Commodore Barry.

AGAIN...the weekend in question, I-76 will be closed; I-476 is the Detour Route.

jemacedo9

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 09, 2015, 10:01:47 AM
Quote from: jemacedo9 on September 09, 2015, 09:18:14 AM
Lancaster, if not avoiding tolls, I'd probably recommend the PA Turnpike -> I-76 E -> I-476 S -> I-95 S to the Commodore Barry.

AGAIN...the weekend in question, I-76 will be closed; I-476 is the Detour Route.

Ooof...yeah, scratch that.  Then...US 322 E -> PA 10 S -> PA 41...all 2 lane roads but are relatively rural.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.