News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Painted crosswalks

Started by Bruce, August 06, 2015, 06:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Seattle has gained its second set of painted crosswalks, painted black, green and red (from the Pan-African flag) to represent the African American community in the Central District.

Honestly, these ones need some kind of outline (colored white...if that's too controversial, then yellow or something bright)

Earlier in the year, several rainbow crosswalks (with white outlines!) debuted in the Capitol Hill neighborhood, an area where the LGBT has historically claimed as its own.

Rainbow crosswalk on Broadway by SounderBruce, on Flickr

NE2

You know there's a crosswalk there whether or not anything is painted, right?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Bruce

Quote from: NE2 on August 06, 2015, 08:41:30 PM

Yes, but taking a previously visible and painted one and making it harder to see isn't safe/smart.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on August 06, 2015, 08:43:03 PM
Quote from: NE2 on August 06, 2015, 08:41:30 PM

Yes, but taking a previously visible and painted one and making it harder to see isn't safe/smart.

Agreed. WSDOT and its constituents are big into not painting crosswalks at every possible crossing point, so there was obviously a reason they had one there to begin with. To go and make it basically invisible seems to go against the point in the first place.

jakeroot

Hate to say it, but these crosswalks aren't official:

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/several-crosswalks-seattles-central-district-paint/nnDmt/

From SDOT:

"While we are supportive of community building activities, we must ensure that the city's crosswalks remain recognizable and safe. We are reviewing what action should be taken."

SectorZ

http://www.lowellsun.com/breakingnews/ci_28508446/im-big-trouble-billerica-selectman-paints-crosswalks-police

Billerica, MA, my dear neighbor town has had some of it's own "painted" crosswalks in the news recently.

jakeroot

HOLY SHIT good news Bruce:

http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/seattle/2015/08/06/seattle-wont-paint-over-rogue-crosswalks-in-central-district/31258623/

Seattle now says it will not paint over Pan-African themed crosswalks that have shown up in the Central District.
Instead, city transportation crews will put white reflective tape alongside the red, green, and black hand-painted stripes.
The tape will serve as a temporary solution to make the crosswalks safer. It's expected to be installed sometime Thursday night.

jeffandnicole

And what's with the "no parking within 30 feet" sign? Why not just put a standard "No Parking" sign to mark the point where you can't park?

Bruce

And the city responds in just the right way.

SDOT has a pretty good track record with guerrilla improvements: http://www.seattlebikeblog.com/2013/07/15/sdot-makes-guerrilla-installed-protected-bike-lane-permanent/

txstateends

Quote from: Bruce on August 06, 2015, 06:52:19 PM

That car that's turning in the pic makes me want eye bleach...they effed that car up something terrible.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

jeffandnicole

They are just referring to official crosswalk markings. Yes, the spokesperson didn't use the exact and proper wording.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: SectorZ on August 06, 2015, 09:33:23 PM
http://www.lowellsun.com/breakingnews/ci_28508446/im-big-trouble-billerica-selectman-paints-crosswalks-police

Billerica, MA, my dear neighbor town has had some of it's own "painted" crosswalks in the news recently.

I heard a few days ago the charges were dropped.

jakeroot

From Seattle Bike Blog (hopefully the image works)...oh my, that does not look good in the sunlight.

spooky

Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 09, 2015, 02:51:46 PM

Quote from: SectorZ on August 06, 2015, 09:33:23 PM

I heard a few days ago the charges were dropped.

The charges were dropped, but Mr. Simolaris agreed to pay $4,200 in restitution.

Brandon

Quote from: Bruce on August 06, 2015, 06:52:19 PM
Earlier in the year, several rainbow crosswalks (with white outlines!) debuted in the Capitol Hill neighborhood, an area where the LGBT has historically claimed as its own.

Rainbow crosswalk on Broadway by SounderBruce, on Flickr

It's nice and bright, easy to see.  However, it makes me think more of the Rainbow Bridge from Thor, and The Avengers:bigass:

Quote from: jakeroot on August 11, 2015, 07:38:52 PM
From Seattle Bike Blog (hopefully the image works)...oh my, that does not look good in the sunlight.

This is just terrible by comparison.  Even with the white lines, the colors are just too dark for standard roadway use, IMHO, in that fashion.  Maybe if they took a cue from the rainbow-styled one above and did the colors horizontally across the road, it would look a lot better.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jakeroot

Quote from: Brandon on August 12, 2015, 10:00:30 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on August 11, 2015, 07:38:52 PM

http://1p40p3gwj70rhpc423s8rzjaz.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/IMG_2552.jpg

This is just terrible by comparison.  Even with the white lines, the colors are just too dark for standard roadway use, IMHO, in that fashion.  Maybe if they took a cue from the rainbow-styled one above and did the colors horizontally across the road, it would look a lot better.

I agree. There is great potential for this crosswalk, and many others. But to be fair, it was something done in the night by a couple of petty no-goods trying to express an opinion (white crosswalks in black neighborhoods are...racist?). Long-term plans do call for this crosswalk to be updated:

Quote from: Seattle Times
Kubly said the city plans to work with the community in the coming weeks to finalize locations and layouts. In the meantime, city workers will put temporary tape on the crosswalks to restore their reflectivess.

Big John

Quote from: roadfro on August 14, 2015, 04:53:19 AM
In Nevada, most applications of the "no pedestrian" sign used to indicate a crossing restriction usually have a supplemental plaque beneath that says "use crosswalk" with an arrow pointing towards the nearest available crossing (this is not an MUTCD-standard sign, as far as I know).
It is MUTCD standard.  No Pedestrians is R9-3 and the use crosswalk placard is R9-3bP.  Per 2009 MUTCD section 2B.51.

TEG24601

My concerns are two fold - In Washington, studded tires are legal in the winter, and many people drive with them through out the winter months, and tear up any roadway markings that cross the lane.  This will likely make the rainbow crosswalks look like crap in the spring, and why I still maintain that a 7 piece zebra/continental crossing would be more effective in the long run, or make each of the segments of a zebra/continental crossing all of the colors.

Second, with the PAF style crosswalk, get some regulation paint or adhesive crosswalks there, in the correct colors, but with some reflectivity.  That way they are safer, and look a hell of a lot better.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

jakeroot

Quote from: TEG24601 on August 14, 2015, 11:10:58 AM
...why I still maintain that a 7 piece zebra/continental crossing would be more effective in the long run, or make each of the segments of a zebra/continental crossing all of the colors.

Sometimes they are effective, but sometimes the jurisdiction goes too far with the tire gaps (read: King County, image below). If they used a consistent width between the zebra marks, like (this), I think the zebra might be better.

roadfro

Quote from: Big John on August 14, 2015, 10:41:23 AM
Quote from: roadfro on August 14, 2015, 04:53:19 AM
In Nevada, most applications of the "no pedestrian" sign used to indicate a crossing restriction usually have a supplemental plaque beneath that says "use crosswalk" with an arrow pointing towards the nearest available crossing (this is not an MUTCD-standard sign, as far as I know).
It is MUTCD standard.  No Pedestrians is R9-3 and the use crosswalk placard is R9-3bP.  Per 2009 MUTCD section 2B.51.

Well, that's what I get for posting late at night. I looked at the MUTCD and completely missed the text and pic of the sign... Either that, or I looked at a completely different section.  :pan:
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jeffandnicole

Good enough for this topic...

A crosswalk in Baltimore where they painted lines to make the crosswalk more visible...but just didn't get the entire job done!  I guess it's possible the pic was taken prior to.  Unless someone else is in the area I'll try to check it out next time I'm in the area.

https://goo.gl/maps/njpKVzQEojR2

Bruce

In September, a new crosswalk design was painted at Boren & Howell in Seattle, to honor John T. Williams, who was fatally shot by police at the intersection in 2010. The incident was very controversial and became the catalyst for a DOJ investigation of Seattle PD that continues today in the form of oversight.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crosswalk-dedication/

John T Williams Memorial Crosswalk by SounderBruce, on Flickr

1995hoo

The intersection of 7th and H NW in DC, near Verizon Center and better-known to some as the "Barnes Dance intersection," has these odd markings. I have no idea what, if anything, they represent and I haven't tried to find out.

Edited to add: Seems it's supposed to channel Chinatown. The animal figures represent the Chinese zodiac. The stuff in the diagonals is supposed to be a dragon.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Bruce

You'd think the Chinese gate on one side of the intersection would give it away...  ;-)

I saw the half-completed version back in June. Looks pretty good and I hope Seattle gets a similar painted sidewalk (and pedestrian scramble) treatment around our Chinatown/International District.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.