Ohio

Started by iBallasticwolf2, August 29, 2015, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck87

Sykotyk

One of the biggest things that bugs me about living around Youngstown today is that I-680 does not connect with OH 11 southwest of town. The only easy way is to head north on I-680 to the I-80/OH-11 interchange. You can take US224 if you feel like taking forever through Boardman, or you can run through US62 if you feel like driving city streets for a while. Or, you can take OH 165 from the Western Reserve Rd exit through North Lima, and then cut at an angle to OH11, which conveniently does not interchange with the most likely road to complete such an angle. Instead, you have to then cut up on OH14 to OH11.

Continuing I-680 south/southwest around North Lima and ending at OH11 near Columbiana would have been a perfect route for traffic between Youngstown and points south. And with the addition of OH-711, the shorter 'through route' while the current OH-11 west of town acting as an easy bypass for points north or traffic to/from I-80.

alecscradle

Is there a lot of need to get on OH 11 S from the Boardman area?  I've only been on 11 in that area only a couple of times and it's seemed very sparse on traffic each time.  If there were any improvements that needed to be made, I could see them adding an interchange to OH 11 and Western Reserve Rd.  But that would probably only happen if there were significant growth in the Boardman/Canfield area.

coldshoulder

Quote from: Sykotyk on May 07, 2017, 09:36:47 PM
One of the biggest things that bugs me about living around Youngstown today is that I-680 does not connect with OH 11 southwest of town. The only easy way is to head north on I-680 to the I-80/OH-11 interchange. You can take US224 if you feel like taking forever through Boardman, or you can run through US62 if you feel like driving city streets for a while. Or, you can take OH 165 from the Western Reserve Rd exit through North Lima, and then cut at an angle to OH11, which conveniently does not interchange with the most likely road to complete such an angle. Instead, you have to then cut up on OH14 to OH11.

Continuing I-680 south/southwest around North Lima and ending at OH111 near Columbiana would have been a perfect route for traffic between Youngstown and points south. And with the addition of OH-711, the shorter 'through route' while the current OH-11 west of town acting as an easy bypass for points north or traffic to/from I-80.

It's possible that the lack of a southwesterly extension of I-680 past the Ohio Turnpike to intersect with OH-11 was a result of long-ago "future plans" (described below) which never came to fruition.

Specifically, I'm referring to the freeway/expressway portion of Route 62, coming from Canton, which goes north of Alliance and ends abruptly at OH-225.  That 4-lane divided section was intended to continue eastward towards Salem.  There is a portion of that 4-lane freeway that was built north of Salem, between OH-14 and the 2-lane US-62--Youngstown-Salem Road (which is basically running north and south at that point).

That 4-lane expressway section was also intended to continue further eastward, with plans to intersect with OH-11 with an apparent full-cloverleaf interchange.  Go to Google Maps (or Earth) and you will see the clear outlines of that proposed cloverleaf, due west of OH-46 and south of W. Garfield Rd., just a bit northwest of Columbiana.  Link:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9116346,-80.7182689,979m/data=!3m1!1e3

I recall seeing some maps in the late 60's or early 70's that showed that "proposed" east-west expressway section continuing east past the "proposed" interchange at OH-11, and now carrying OH-14, north of the current 2-lane OH-14 alignment, and perhaps continuing all the way to the Pennsylvania line, connecting up with the 4-lane PA-51.

That final eastward stretch would have accepted a southward extension of OH-680, likely east of Pine Lake, which would have allowed OH-680 South traffic to move to OH-14 West and then to OH-11 South.

It would appear that those plans, long dormant as they've been, are unlikely to ever become reality.  But that's very possibly why an OH-680 to OH-11 South connection was never made.

EDIT:  Also see this thread:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=5212.msg2071152#msg2071152

You're just like crosstown traffic
All you do is slow me down
And I got better things on the other side of town

coldshoulder

Quote from: ysuindy on April 20, 2017, 11:47:33 PM
I don't think I've seen this posted before.

Stumbled across this Youngstown Vindicator story from August 2016 about the 40 year anniversary of the completion of I-680.

Interesting story on the history of the road and a pdf that includes original blueprints of the road.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/aug/21/i-680-1643-mile-interstate-took-16-years-complete/

I remember to opening of the full highway, made my commute to YSU for four years starting Fall 1977 a lot easier. 

I also remember the explosion during the construction.  I've tried to find more information about it, but haven't had much luck.

Here's a detailed report from the Occupational Safety & Health Review Commission regarding the accident/explosion you are referring to.

http://www.oshrc.gov/decisions/html_1974/2684_2716.html

ysuindy

I recall seeing the same Mahoning County map that showed an extension of 680 south to that relocated 62 expressway.  I know that I have an old Columbiana County map that showed 62 going all the way to the Pennsylania line, presumably going to connect with what is now I-376 near Chippewa. 

I believe I made a post a few years back about the Columbiana County map and described the route.  Now that I have a scanner, I will try to dig that map out and see if I can scan the appropriate sections - although its going to be awhile until I can. 

Roadsguy

Are there still any plans to complete that US 62 expressway? It seems like that would be ideal to have cross SR 11, curve around the south and east of North Lima, and connect to 680.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

seicer

No. It's not in any long range plans that I have come across from ODOT. The traffic just isn't there.

There was a proposal at one time to four-lane US 62 between Alliance and Salem, with ODOT acquiring ROW east of Alliance towards Damascus. The widening never occurred.

coldshoulder

Here is a Mahoning County Highway Map from 1970 showing the proposed US-62 running across the southern portion of Mahoning County, north of Sebring, Salem, and Washingtonville; and showing the cloverleaf interchange with OH-11, before proceeding eastward into Columbiana County and then onto Pennsylvania.  However, there is no indication of a proposed southerly extension of OH-680 to that freeway...although I recall seeing that in another map of some sort.

http://gisapp.mahoningcountyoh.gov/Public_FTP_Folder/Historical_Maps/H1970/HIGHWAY_1970A.pdf

mgk920

There also are/were plans to extend a freeway off of that ghost end in the eastern part of the downtown freeway loop in Youngstown.  According to those city/metro maps (they were printed on regular office copy paper) that I got from a Turnpike service plaza in the late 1990s, it was to continue eastward and then northward to connect with I-80 near Hubbard.

Mike

coldshoulder

Quote from: mgk920 on May 11, 2017, 02:47:27 PM
There also are/were plans to extend a freeway off of that ghost end in the eastern part of the downtown freeway loop in Youngstown.  According to those city/metro maps (they were printed on regular office copy paper) that I got from a Turnpike service plaza in the late 1990s, it was to continue eastward and then northward to connect with I-80 near Hubbard.

Mike

Yes, the long-planned "Hubbard Expressway", intended to carry either and/or both OH-7 and US-62, from the stub freeway end at Albert Street, continuing northeast through the east side of Youngstown, then connecting with I-80 in Hubbard Township.

This project has been dormant for some time; certain officials have attempted to "revive" it a few times over the past 30 years, but as I recall, at some point about 10 years ago, ODOT officially withdrew their support....meaning it will likely never get built.

Sykotyk

Quote from: coldshoulder on May 11, 2017, 03:03:25 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on May 11, 2017, 02:47:27 PM

Mike

Yes, the long-planned "Hubbard Expressway", intended to carry either and/or both OH-7 and US-62, from the stub freeway end at Albert Street, continuing northeast through the east side of Youngstown, then connecting with I-80 in Hubbard Township.

This project has been dormant for some time; certain officials have attempted to "revive" it a few times over the past 30 years, but as I recall, at some point about 10 years ago, ODOT officially withdrew their support....meaning it will likely never get built.

Somewhere just a year or two ago about reviving it. Mostly for the argument that gets used a lot: industrial development. Build a freeway there, and you can bring business there. With 711 built, it's not as necessary. But with the new Chill-Can area being built at the end of the US422 freeway and the Himrod interchange from US622, there may be some truth to that. Those two freeways easily accessing that property made it quite attractive to the develpers (it was their family's original location for Star Bottling, so it had some sentimental value, but easy access to the east side of Youngstown made it stick).

Roadsguy

Quote from: coldshoulder on May 11, 2017, 11:23:39 AM
Here is a Mahoning County Highway Map from 1970 showing the proposed US-62 running across the southern portion of Mahoning County, north of Sebring, Salem, and Washingtonville; and showing the cloverleaf interchange with OH-11, before proceeding eastward into Columbiana County and then onto Pennsylvania.  However, there is no indication of a proposed southerly extension of OH-680 to that freeway...although I recall seeing that in another map of some sort.

http://gisapp.mahoningcountyoh.gov/Public_FTP_Folder/Historical_Maps/H1970/HIGHWAY_1970A.pdf

Huh, I wonder what PennDOT had planned to connect to it. It couldn't have been more US 62 since by the state line, current US 62 is already way up in the Sharon-Hermitage area.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

coldshoulder

Quote from: Roadsguy on May 12, 2017, 10:11:18 AM
Quote from: coldshoulder on May 11, 2017, 11:23:39 AM

Huh, I wonder what PennDOT had planned to connect to it. It couldn't have been more US 62 since by the state line, current US 62 is already way up in the Sharon-Hermitage area.

Had that proposed east-west freeway/expressway been built, it's likely that US-62 would have proceeded in a northerly direction via the cloverleaf at OH-11, multiplexing with OH-11 to US-224 in Canfield, then up South Raccoon Road to the Shields Rd./Canfield Rd. intersection, where US-62 currently continues northeasterly along Canfield Road.

OH-14 would have multiplexed on this proposed east-west freeway, beginning northwest of Salem (in fact, that short 4-lane portion north of Salem that was built was, or has been signed as "14T"), with OH-14 continuing on this route eastward past OH-11 towards Pennsylvania, to connect with PA-51, northeast of East Palestine, where the current two-lane OH-14 meets PA-51 at the Ohio-Pennsylvania border.

Buck87

Quote from: Buck87 on March 21, 2017, 10:07:11 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on March 20, 2017, 10:21:32 PM
Anybody know if they are even considering adding lanes on SR-2 from the I-90 split to SR-58 in the near future?  That's about the only other widening I can consider being warranted out there in the next 20-30 years.

They did just replace the first two bridges on OH 2 west of the I-90 split, so knowing whether or not those new bridges were built wide enough for 3 lanes would go a long way to answering that. I was actually just through there last week, but unfortunately wasn't paying attention to this detail. Anyone know if they were built wide enough for 3 lanes?

I was through there yesterday and the OH 2 bridges west of the I-90 split were NOT built wide enough for 3 lanes.

Also, work has started in the medians on either side of the I-90/OH2 bridges that are about to be replaced at the OH 57 interchange, and that construction zone has the first variable speed limit signs I've seen in Ohio. When I went through eastbound around 2pm the speed limit was 60, and when I came back westbound around 11pm it was 50. (the regular speed limit there is 65)

And in other news on this corridor, there hasn't been any progress on adding exit numbers to OH 2 in over a year. The exit numbering, (which also includes median mile markers every 0.2 miles) still stops at OH 61, with only the westbound set of BGS for that exit having exit number tabs. The rest of the exits in Erie County around Huron and Sandusky remain unnumbered, however, once you cross into Ottawa County (which is also crossing into a different ODOT district) there are exit numbers in place for remainder of the freeway, although without median mile markers.

Buck87

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

vtk

Sure, blame a long straight ramp for drivers' bad behavior. How is this different from any straight rural highway entering a small town? Park a police car at the east end of the bridge over the Olentangy, issue hundreds of speeding tickets, problem solved.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Buck87

Seeing more of these "toll" banners added to Ohio Turnpike signage in district 2. This set of signs is at the OH 53 north exit off the US 20/US 6 bypass in Fremont

VS986

amroad17

^ This is actually a good thing.  I see nothing wrong with it.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

silverback1065

illinois does it

seicer

Doesn't the MUTCD require this anyways? The signage for the Ohio Turnpike varied greatly and it wasn't always obvious that the highway you were turning onto was a toll road.

sandwalk

I see nothing wrong with adding these "TOLL" signs. However, I thought it was pretty self-explanatory that if you were getting onto the "Turnpike" you knew you were going to pay a toll. :D

Bitmapped

Quote from: sandwalk on July 10, 2017, 09:04:03 AM
I see nothing wrong with adding these "TOLL" signs. However, I thought it was pretty self-explanatory that if you were getting onto the "Turnpike" you knew you were going to pay a toll. :D

Not necessarily. Parts of the Pennsylvania Turnpike are free, for example.

seicer

And there are a lot of roads with the name "Turnpike" in them that are not toll. Folks from other countries (or even different regions of the states) may not know what Turnpike even is.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.