News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New North Dakota state route marker design

Started by J N Winkler, November 16, 2015, 09:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Spotted at least a half dozen signs/shields with the new design last weekend. Ones in Dickinson were just installed in June.

M86

Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 14, 2016, 03:51:32 PM
White people on both the political left and the right need to stop trying to speak for people and groups they know nothing about.
This is how I explained it to my friend:
North Dakota's state highway markers have featured the cut out of a Native Sioux Chief for the last century, as shown in the picture.
White people complained about it saying it's a misappropriation of Native culture. They threaten the state with legal action, so the state decides to change their state highway marker to a boring cutout shape of North Dakota.
Now the Native American chiefs at the Sioux reservation are seeing the changed signs, and they're actually disappointed about it! Now it's clear. The people who complained about the signs were white SJW-types trying to speak for minorities they had no business speaking for.

I posted this quote too from the article, which I love: 
Nailed it.  I grew up near the ND border in South Dakota, and recently moved back to the same area.  As a kid, I was always fascinated by the ND State Highway shields/markers... It was so different than SD's.  And now, when I heard about ND changing their signs, I just assumed the reason was outcry was from Native Americans.  Sigh, how wrong and stupid I was to think that. 

SD Mapman

Quote from: M86 on August 22, 2016, 02:48:26 AM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 14, 2016, 03:51:32 PM
White people on both the political left and the right need to stop trying to speak for people and groups they know nothing about.
This is how I explained it to my friend:
North Dakota's state highway markers have featured the cut out of a Native Sioux Chief for the last century, as shown in the picture.
White people complained about it saying it's a misappropriation of Native culture. They threaten the state with legal action, so the state decides to change their state highway marker to a boring cutout shape of North Dakota.
Now the Native American chiefs at the Sioux reservation are seeing the changed signs, and they're actually disappointed about it! Now it's clear. The people who complained about the signs were white SJW-types trying to speak for minorities they had no business speaking for.

I posted this quote too from the article, which I love: 
Nailed it.  I grew up near the ND border in South Dakota, and recently moved back to the same area.  As a kid, I was always fascinated by the ND State Highway shields/markers... It was so different than SD's.  And now, when I heard about ND changing their signs, I just assumed the reason was outcry was from Native Americans.  Sigh, how wrong and stupid I was to think that.
The thing that got me was how quietly it was done. There weren't really any news articles on it until after the fact.

Maybe that guy was worried Red Tomahawk's descendants would hunt him down.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

M86

Quote from: SD Mapman on August 22, 2016, 10:33:13 AM
The thing that got me was how quietly it was done. There weren't really any news articles on it until after the fact.
Maybe that guy was worried Red Tomahawk's descendants would hunt him down.
corco, can you close/lock this thread? 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.