News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Runaway Truck Ramps

Started by thefraze_1020, December 04, 2015, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Even the name of the road in the area.  Bridge Bypass Road. Shouldn't a bridge bypass road bypass the bridge instead of going over it? https://goo.gl/maps/ncA5E3xb5jP2

2trailertrucker

Quote from: amroad17 on November 22, 2016, 03:28:05 PM
^ I suppose either the guardrail, the pole, the building, or the RR track mound will stop a runaway truck if a car isn't in the way.

Really, Chester IL?

I have noticed a few of these. Philadelphia has one like this. Again, no idea how it is supposed to slow or stop a truck! I guess it looked good on paper.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: epzik8 on November 22, 2016, 08:22:21 AM
Maryland doesn't have the most, but there are a number of them along I-68 in Allegany and Garrett counties in the western mountains. Also in West Virginia between the Maryland border and I-68's western end at I-79 at Morgantown.

And there's the one in Garrett County MD-135 eastbound between Altamont and Bloomington; GSV of the entrance here

One of the most-deceptive descents I have ever seen (and potentially deadly, ending in a 90° right turn at the bottom of the grade - if a vehicle does not make the turn, a mountain wall awaits straight ahead).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

sparker

There's one on I-80 WB between Yuba Gap & Colfax -- a gravel arrestor type -- that has an unlikely (and likely unintended) secondary stopping "mechanism":  if a vehicle were to continue past the end of the arrestor strip, it would almost immediately drop into a trench occupied by the double-track UP main line (Donner Pass route) that passes under the freeway right past the ramp facility. 

I've occasionally formulated an "inner thought" scenario for a trucker whose tractor plows through the ramp and descends into the trench:  "Whew -- finally stopped............uhh...........oh shit!"

If there's ever a sequel to the movie "Duel", this would be a good place to end it!

D-Dey65

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 04, 2015, 09:41:18 AM
MA and CT have one each.  MA has one on the Mass Pike eastbound coming down out of the Berkshires into the Pioneer Valley between Blandford and Russell.  CT has one on US 44 at the bottom of Avon Mountain that was put there in response to a runaway truck crashing into a furniture store at the bottom of the mountain causing multiple fatalities.
I've seen pictures of that one in Connecticut:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:TER_US_44_Westbound_Avon,_CT,_USA.png
Jesus Christ! It looks like you could send a driver off a cliff with that damn thing!

kkt

Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 26, 2016, 09:39:32 PM
MA and CT have one each.  MA has one on the Mass Pike eastbound coming down out of the Berkshires into the Pioneer Valley between Blandford and Russell.  CT has one on US 44 at the bottom of Avon Mountain that was put there in response to a runaway truck crashing into a furniture store at the bottom of the mountain causing multiple fatalities.
Jesus Christ! It looks like you could send a driver off a cliff with that damn thing!

Looks more like a ski jump!

roadman

Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 26, 2016, 09:39:32 PM
Apparently, the 'gate' across the front of the ramp is actually an arrester device to slow the truck down so it doesn't go beyond the sand barrels at the end.  I know I wouldn't want to be the driver to test that theory.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jemacedo9

Quote from: 2trailertrucker on November 23, 2016, 11:35:35 AM
^ I suppose either the guardrail, the pole, the building, or the RR track mound will stop a runaway truck if a car isn't in the way.

Really, Chester IL?

I have noticed a few of these. Philadelphia has one like this. Again, no idea how it is supposed to slow or stop a truck! I guess it looked good on paper.

Where is the one in Philadelphia?  I had no idea there is one...

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jemacedo9 on December 01, 2016, 11:20:24 AM
Quote from: 2trailertrucker on November 23, 2016, 11:35:35 AM

Really, Chester IL?

Where is the one in Philadelphia?  I had no idea there is one...

I'm not familiar with it either.

Chris19001

Maybe not Philadelphia, PA?

2trailertrucker

Quote from: Chris19001 on December 01, 2016, 12:56:44 PM
Maybe not Philadelphia, PA?

I am trying to find it. It is similar to the one in Chester. I omitted it from the database because it was useless.
Basically, a tight right turn to nothing. If I find it, I will post it here.

oscar

Quote from: oscar on December 06, 2015, 10:11:09 AM
Quote from: FreewayDan on December 05, 2015, 10:24:39 AM
Hawaii has one on Interstate H-3 (signed as Emergency Escape Ramp) after exit #9 to Hawaii 63.
https://www.aaroads.com/west/hawaii003/i-h003_eb_exit_011_01.jpg

And there's another one on westbound H-3, at mile 1.78 between the Tetsuo Harano tunnels and the exit for Interstate H-201. I don't have a photo.

The EB escape ramp east of the Tetsuo Harano and Hospital Rock tunnels is at mile 8.79. The locations for both escape ramps are from HDOT straight-line diagrams.

Hawaii DOT has also added a runaway truck ramp to a major non-freeway route on the Big Island, at mile 49.0-49.3 westbound on state route 200 across the Big Island, near the highway's west end. 

http://hidot.hawaii.gov/highways/truck-escape-ramp-opens-on-daniel-k-inouye-highway-in-kona/

Similarly, there is a runaway truck ramp on Maui's state route 37, WB at mile 3.84, in the middle of a long downhill stretch on a busy and fast four-lane divided highway.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

michravera

Quote from: 2trailertrucker on December 06, 2015, 09:28:21 AM
Quote from: Quillz on December 04, 2015, 05:05:08 AM
No idea how many are in California, but there is almost always one on the interstates that go through mountain passes. Most notable is probably the one on I-5 northbound just before descending from the Tejon Summit to the Central Valley. I believe I-15 northbound has another one just before Cajon Pass.

I have 10 ramps in Cally. I have 2 on CA 33 at Maricopa, 1 on CA 178 in Inyokern, and 2 on CA 299 at Montgomery Creek, Junction City and US 101 at Orick as ramps not on Interstate Highways.

At least 2 on I-80.

dvferyance

Quote from: ModernDayWarrior on December 17, 2015, 12:31:07 AM
Quote from: Fred Defender on December 16, 2015, 04:37:04 PM
I've lived in Florida for nearly fifty years and I have yet to see one here.

Same for Missouri. I have never seen a runaway truck ramp anywhere in the state.

Of course, I can't think of any roads here that would really need one, either. Maybe US 65 between Branson and Springfield.
I thought I had recalled seeing one I-44 WB near Rolla. That was back in 2001 so it might be gone.

J N Winkler

With apologies for the huge bump--Iowa, of all states, has a runaway truck ramp on US 18 just west of Marquette.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hotdogPi

By bumping this thread, I think it's going to get derailed used by a runaway truck very soon, given what's been going on on the forum recently.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

J N Winkler

Quote from: 1 on January 09, 2023, 07:43:28 PMBy bumping this thread, I think it's going to get derailed used by a runaway truck very soon, given what's been going on on the forum recently.

I won't pretend the recent conversation hasn't been an inspiration to dig this one up.  One has to make lemonade when handed lemons . . .
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

GCrites

Bumps are the name of the game with many runaway truck ramps.

amroad17

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 09, 2023, 07:35:59 PM
With apologies for the huge bump--Iowa, of all states, has a runaway truck ramp on US 18 just west of Marquette.
Isn't this the runaway truck ramp I have seen in a meme in the Roadgeek Memes thread?

Edit: Yes, reply #402 in the thread.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Great Lakes Roads

roadman65

I can't remember, but didn't I-15 have one near Cajon  Pass?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JoePCool14

I've driven by that one. It's a good place to have one. The descents down to the Mississippi get pretty long and windy, including this one.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

roadman65

PA 115 has one for sure heading down the mountain into Wilkes- Barre, PA
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

With apologies for the huge bump

Wouldn't a huge bump be a design feature in a runaway truck ramp?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.