News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The LA Rams are back

Started by cl94, January 12, 2016, 09:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

It's official: the Rams are moving back to LA. Chargers have one year to consider a deal to join them.

Source: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14558668/st-louis-rams-relocate-los-angeles
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Pete from Boston

St. Louis is better off without bloodsuckers blackmailing it.  The city has enough people in need without having to take care of the very rich, too.  Same goes for Oakland.

bing101

http://www.forbes.com/teams/st-louis-rams/

See The Rams wanted Los Angeles to increase investor value.

Henry

It just goes to prove that St. Louis sucks as a football town. It lost the Cardinals back in 1988, and now the Rams are the second team to leave. At least there's still the Oakland Raiders, whose move is mirrored by that of the Rams. As for the Chargers, they will get one last chance to get a new stadium in San Diego, so we'll see what happens a year from now.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Henry on January 13, 2016, 11:42:09 AM
It just goes to prove that St. Louis sucks as a football town. It lost the Cardinals back in 1988, and now the Rams are the second team to leave. At least there's still the Oakland Raiders, whose move is mirrored by that of the Rams. As for the Chargers, they will get one last chance to get a new stadium in San Diego, so we'll see what happens a year from now.

So you're telling us you have to be a pretty shitty football town to lose two teams?  What if you lose them both at once?

1995hoo

I can't help but wonder why another franchise (whether the Chargers, Raiders, or anyone else) would want to become the Rams' tenant at the new stadium. The Jets were the Giants' tenant for years and acknowledged many times it wasn't ideal. (The two franchises partnered in building the new stadium.) It's hard to envision most NFL owners allowing another franchise that level of control unless things are utterly impossible at the current venue.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US 41

I don't really understand why San Diego wants to move to LA.

Also London having a team is just stupid. If you're going to expand out of the US then Monterrey or Mexico City would be the best option (since Canada already has their own league).

I feel like Salt Lake City, Utah, might be a good place for an NFL team too.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Stephane Dumas

seicer

Meanwhile, St. Louis county is stuck paying for the damn stadium for another decade.

jwolfer

Quote from: US 41 on January 13, 2016, 12:20:30 PM

Also London having a team is just stupid. If you're going to expand out of the US then Monterrey or Mexico City would be the best option (since Canada already has their own league).

Might not be because the LDS church  encourages reserving Sunday for church and family stuff, at least more than standard protestant or Roman Catholic churches

ET21

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 13, 2016, 11:52:01 AM

So you're telling us you have to be a pretty shitty football town to lose two teams?  What if you lose them both at once?

Then you really suck as a football town :P
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Rothman

Quote from: jwolfer on January 13, 2016, 08:30:46 PM

Might not be because the LDS church  encourages reserving Sunday for church and family stuff, at least more than standard protestant or Roman Catholic churches

Salt Lake's become a more cosmopolitan city in the last decade or so, however.  BYU's football schedule is adjusted to avoid Sundays, but remember that BYU is down in Utah County, which is more like "traditional" Mormon Utah.

That all said, with all the support of BYU and U of U football, it does make you wonder if there's the demand for an NFL team in Salt Lake overall.  That's a much more important question than worrying about Mormon opposition to breaking the sabbath.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jwolfer

Quote from: Rothman on January 14, 2016, 10:16:04 AM
Quote from: jwolfer on January 13, 2016, 08:30:46 PM

Salt Lake's become a more cosmopolitan city in the last decade or so, however.  BYU's football schedule is adjusted to avoid Sundays, but remember that BYU is down in Utah County, which is more like "traditional" Mormon Utah.

That all said, with all the support of BYU and U of U football, it does make you wonder if there's the demand for an NFL team in Salt Lake overall.  That's a much more important question than worrying about Mormon opposition to breaking the sabbath.
One of my friends is LDS even played football for BYU, he told me about the modification of schedule  for BYU. He is a Green Bay packers fan and will watch the game on TV with family, but won't go to Tampa to see them play in person even though he was invited. Obviously he doesn't drink alcohol so tailgating would be non alcoholic . ( good for me because he would give me the gifts of bourbon he got from clients

Henry

Quote from: ET21 on January 14, 2016, 10:02:11 AM

I'd just say plain bad luck, but the above is also true.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Pete from Boston

I guess Cleveland goes on that list too, then, having lost the Rams and the Browns.

Also goes to show, don't count on the Rams sticking around in your town for long. 

bing101

jakeroot

Quote from: Henry on January 14, 2016, 10:44:42 AM
Quote from: ET21 on January 14, 2016, 10:02:11 AM

I'd just say plain bad luck, but the above is also true.

Not to get involved in something I don't know a lot about, but much of the reason that the Rams and Raiders left was because of politics, not necessarily because of a shrinking fan-base (although, perhaps politics got involved because of the shrinking fan base -- I'm not 100% certain).

triplemultiplex

Well, at least they're closer to their division rivals now.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Henry

And to think that we almost got the Los Angeles Seahawks 20 years ago! Thanks to a binding lease that required them to stay in Seattle up to 2015 (back when they were still playing in the Kingdome), that move never happened. Think of how devastating that would've been to the Pacific Northwest.

ET21

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 14, 2016, 11:18:06 PM

True, it's an actual NFC West division now (STL was a border in my mind between NFC west and south)

Clinched:

cl94

Quote from: ET21 on January 16, 2016, 10:47:50 AM

True, it's an actual NFC West division now (STL was a border in my mind between NFC west and south)

They probably would have been best in the NFC north. Natural rivalry with Chicago.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

ET21

Quote from: cl94 on January 16, 2016, 04:39:31 PM

They probably would have been best in the NFC north. Natural rivalry with Chicago.

Which team would you move though? All the north teams are hated but huge rivals between the four cities.

Clinched:

cl94

Quote from: ET21 on January 17, 2016, 12:56:25 PM
Quote from: cl94 on January 16, 2016, 04:39:31 PM

Which team would you move though? All the north teams are hated but huge rivals between the four cities.

That's the problem. If there were 5 teams per division, it would be a no-brainer.

triplemultiplex

Don't know if I've missed this or not, but the Rams are supposed to play next season in LA, however no new stadium has been started so what venue are they going to play home games at next year?
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Big John

^^ Not official yet but the LA Coliseum has offered to allow a team to play there until a new stadium is built.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.