News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Another forum suggestion

Started by cpzilliacus, January 26, 2016, 01:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

High-tech Highways (or Geeky Highways?) probably under General Highway Talk.

Would include things like freeway operations centers, ITS infrastructure (and DMS/VMS panels), electronic toll collection, global positioning system/satnav software and hardware, geographic information systems,  video systems associated with highways (pole-mounted cameras, dash cams, license plate readers), traffic data collection systems (such as loop detectors, infrared detectors, weigh-in-motion sensors and related equipment), vehicle probe data, possibly high-tech traffic signal systems (though that might be better where it is, under Traffic Control), variable speed limits (again, might be better staying under Traffic Control), speed and red light cameras, travel demand forecasting models and microsimulation models.

Oh, and almost forgot - autonomous (self-driving) motor vehicles for highway use.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Scott5114

Is there really enough content to warrant a separate board? It's an interesting topic, but not one that roadgeeks really have a lot of access to in most cases.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 04, 2016, 08:38:18 PM
Is there really enough content to warrant a separate board? It's an interesting topic, but not one that roadgeeks really have a lot of access to in most cases.

I am indifferent - I do not own AAROADS.  However, I have seen a decent amount of discussion of electronic toll collection VMS/DMS units and various flavors of GPS, for example, which was my motivation for suggesting it.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Perhaps under General Highway Talk, a subforum called Technology?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.