News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Alternate US 75 Oklahoma

Started by US71, February 01, 2016, 10:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

In the past, Oklahoma has been bad about the designation of Alternate US 75: it's been posted as Alternate US 75, US 75A, and OK 75A.

I noticed this past weekend, this has finallly been resolved. What was US 75A at Sapulpa is now ALT US 75, as is Okmulgee County which was OK 75A.  At Beggs, it's ALTERNATE US 75.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Rick1962

No matter how you slice it, it should be renumbered as an extension of SH 97.

US71

Quote from: Rick1962 on February 01, 2016, 11:26:25 AM
No matter how you slice it, it should be renumbered as an extension of SH 97.
Would you end it ar Beggs?

Rick1962

Yes, I would end SH 97 at Beggs. I'm not sure why the Old US 75 was bannered as Alternate 75 (75A, etc.) when the present alignment of US 75 was completed, but I would imagine it was at least 99% political wrangling. In any event, it hasn't been US 75 for 55 years or so, and any reason for it being Alt. 75 has long since disappeared. I don't see any reason to extend SH 97 along SH 16 between Beggs and US 75.

Rick1962

Part of the fun of SH 166 is that it never reached Rt. 66. US 66 was routed onto the New Sapulpa Rd. alignment paralleling the Turner Turnpike in 1953, and SH 166 wasn't commissioned until c. 1970. It's always ended at Frankoma Rd. (Old Rt. 66). Best guess? It was intended to be a temporary designation so ODOT could build the road for Creek County, and it was never decommissioned for whatever reason.

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 03, 2016, 10:11:57 AM

From the Creek County control section map. Whether you consider it to trump signage is up to you, but I tend to treat the CSMs as the bible for Oklahoma highways.
I didn't have that with me on my trip, so I only knew what I saw in the field :p

rte66man

Taken July 2015 in Beggs:

DSC_0143 by rte66man, on Flickr
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

US71

Quote from: rte66man on February 06, 2016, 12:37:49 PM
Taken July 2015 in Beggs:

DSC_0143 by rte66man, on Flickr

I just took one last week :)

Also found a couple FAP "shield" markers at the same intersedction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.