News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Michigan House committee OKs rural increases to 75-80mph

Started by Kniwt, February 02, 2016, 05:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kniwt

The Detroit Free Press reports today:
http://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2016/02/02/75-80-mph-may-new-limit-rural-highways/79702158/

QuoteA package of five bills increasing speed limits on most rural highways passed the House Transportation Committee on Tuesday with bi-partisan support.

"We tried to craft a bill that will provide safety and better traffic movement throughout the state,"  said state Rep. Brad Jacobsen, R-Oxford, who sponsored the bills. "In certain areas with rural access highways that now have a speed limit of 70, it would go to 75 with the potential for 80 miles per hour if the Michigan State Police finds that all safety requirements would be met."

... He cited U.S.-127 north of St. Johns up to Grayling, I-69 between Lansing and Flint, and I-75 north of Bay City as prime areas for a bump in speed limits.

GaryV

Now if they'd just increase the 2-lane state highways to 65, like they were back before NMSL.

JREwing78

Quote from: GaryV on February 02, 2016, 06:35:52 PM
Now if they'd just increase the 2-lane state highways to 65, like they were back before NMSL.

Seriously. Travel across "Da U.P." is slow enough as is; sticking to 55 is miserable. I'd be happy with a posted 65 and cops allowing 5 over. If it was Texas, most state highway in the U.P. would be posted for 70.

It still has to get through the full House and Senate before going to Gov. Snyder. But I'd be surprised if it didn't pass.

noelbotevera

Quote from: JREwing78 on February 02, 2016, 09:19:27 PM

Seriously. Travel across "Da U.P." is slow enough as is; sticking to 55 is miserable. I'd be happy with a posted 65 and cops allowing 5 over. If it was Texas, most state highway in the U.P. would be posted for 70.

It still has to get through the full House and Senate before going to Gov. Snyder. But I'd be surprised if it didn't pass.
Make that 75 or 80. Most 2 lane roads are posted that high. Excluding cities.

thenetwork

Quote from: JREwing78 on February 02, 2016, 09:19:27 PM

Hell, I topped off at 104 MPH for a few seconds on a side route somewhere near the Seney Wildlife Area on my one and only trip in Yooperland.  It was a flat, desolate and smooth road.  The UP can definitely accommodate 65-70 MPH speeds on the two lanes -- at least in the warm weather season, which one person said was just a few hours long around July 10th.

pianocello

Quote from: Kniwt on February 02, 2016, 05:16:58 PM
... He cited U.S.-127 north of St. Johns up to Grayling, I-69 between Lansing and Flint, and I-75 north of Bay City as prime areas for a bump in speed limits.

Interesting that he cited 127 from St. Johns, and not Ithaca. That section still isn't a freeway (after 50+ years of waiting, no less), has an at-grade railroad crossing, and has a speed limit lower than the rest of the freeways in Michigan. Maybe he misspoke?
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Brandon

If you read the article, that's part of the bill.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

GaryV

Quote from: Brandon on February 03, 2016, 07:21:47 AM

If you read the article, that's part of the bill.

OK, thanks.  But where's M-23?   :confused:

As for 127, he said north of St Johns - he didn't say how far north.   ;-)

renegade

I personally think 75 mph on freeways would be enough, and they can do it statewide.  Allowing some areas to be 75 or 80, while leaving other areas at 70 invites yo-yo-ing of speed limits like they do in Ohio ... raise the limit to 70, only to lower it back to 65 five miles later.  Raising the speed limit in Michigan to 80 would encourage people to go 90 or 95.

I remember in the pre-NMSL days, that two-lane state highways were set at 65 mph.  They could return to that and I would be happy.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

roadgeek

Totally agree with this!! Would love to see 65mph up there.

My Road Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadgeek31/

Keep checking back for updates!

renegade

Quote from: roadgeek on February 04, 2016, 10:48:48 AM
Totally agree with this!! Would love to see 65mph up there.

It still has to get through the full House and Senate before going to Gov. "Send Me A Bill And I'll Sign It" Snyder. But I'd be surprised if it didn't pass.

FTFY.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

catch22

rickmastfan67

Brandon

You can't fault the House committee for trying to recognize reality here. They drive 80 anyway (85+ in Detroit).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Max Rockatansky

Wow, didn't expect something like that.  God I remember when they increased it from 65 MPH how big of a deal it was when I was still living there.

JREwing78

HB 4423, as it currently reads, allows 75 mph speed limits. Where are the media folks finding this 80 mph information?
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2015-2016/billengrossed/House/htm/2015-HEBH-4423.htm

I understand they were initially talking about 80 mph, but that got yanked out of the bill after it was introduced.

More exciting (for me, anyway) is the prospect of 65 mph limits on certain trunklines. 55 mph limits in the U.P. and northern Lower Peninsula are a joke. Ditto for the infuriating 55 mph limit on US-131 south of Portage, or US-31 between Holland and Grand Haven.

I like the idea of restoring 2-lane state highways to their old 65 mph limits.  It just seems to make the most sense, in my opinion - nobody goes 55 on them anyway.

My favourite speed limit on a 2-lane rural road would be 60 mph, 70 on an expressway, and 75 on a freeway.  Speed limits should be set at the 85th percentile, not so as to criminalize 85% of drivers.

(Although seriously, 25 mph on a main arterial, at least in my neck of the woods, is unenforceable.)
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

catch22

One step closer (for 75 MPH):  Michigan Senate votes 28-8 for the higher speed limits.  The linked article is unclear on what, if any, differences there are between the House and Senate versions.  In any event, it looks likely to wind up on the governor's desk sometime soon.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/the-latest-senate-oks-higher-speed-limits-on-rural-highways_

Edit:  This Detroit Free Press article has more details:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2016/12/07/increased-speed-limit-nears-final-passage-legislature/95088708/

JREwing78

catch22

pianocello

Any word on which highways will see the increase? My googling came up blank, only saying that around 600 miles of rural freeway will be studied for 75 mph.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

catch22

Quote from: pianocello on January 06, 2017, 01:32:04 PM
Any word on which highways will see the increase? My googling came up blank, only saying that around 600 miles of rural freeway will be studied for 75 mph.

No one's really sure yet. MDOT and the Michigan State Police have to conduct a study to determine that.

I'm guessing I-75 north of Bay City, US-127 from Clare (or perhaps Ithaca) to Grayling, US-131 from the north Kent County line to Manton, and US-31 from Muskegon to Ludington at the least.

Buck87

So I-75 will soon be joining the small number of interstates that have sections where the speed limit matches the route number

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.