News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The North Carolina Interstate Numbering Prediction Thread.

Started by CanesFan27, February 21, 2016, 04:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: BrianP on February 23, 2016, 05:09:42 PM
I think this is fine where it is.  These designations are expected to be petitioned for.  So it sounds like they likely will be made future interstates in the near future.

Put me down for:
US 70 - odd I-x40
US 64/17 - I-52

I'm thinking that 48, 50 and 52 would be non-starters for anything that goes to Norfolk, due to the fact that all three of those US routes enter Virginia. Although Virginia has no problem having duplicate state and US routes that aren't extensions (13, 311, and you might also lump 360 into that mix).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CanesFan27

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 23, 2016, 04:54:57 PM
It seems North Carolina is competing with Texas for the most Interstate Designations in a single state. And why is this thread still in the Southeast board, and not in Fictional Highways? Can one of the administrators get back to me on that? Thank you.

Are you losing sleep over this?

noelbotevera

Alright, let's auction for the number 44 to be applied to US 70. Starting at 100, 200 anyone?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

The Ghostbuster

No CanesFan27, I am not losing sleep over this. I just think siting potential Interstate designations to corridors when there is no evidence that said corridors are planned to become Interstates in the future is something that belongs in Fictional Highways.

english si

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 24, 2016, 03:28:29 PMthere is no evidence that said corridors are planned to become Interstates in the future
Other than their being written into federal law as future interstates and have been proposed by NC to be upgraded to interstate standards for some time now...

BrianP

No evidence?  Hardly.
http://www.havenews.com/article/20151208/NEWS/151209120
QuoteHR 1844 designates portions of U.S. 70 and 117 as high priority corridors and as a "future interstate"  to better connect Seymour Johnson Air Force Base in Goldsboro, the Global TransPark in Kinston, New Bern, Cherry Point and the port of Morehead City with the rest of North Carolina and the eastern seaboard.
QuoteHR 2211, which also had bipartisan support, designates portions of U.S. 17 and 64 through Rocky Mount, Williamston and Elizabeth City as a "future interstate,"  linking Raleigh to the Norfolk, Virginia, area.
You may dispute when in the future this may happen.  But it only seems like a question of when. 

Oh and how likely is it that I-795 becomes an even I-x95 when it reaches I-40?  We may have to predict that too.  Although it may stay like I-540 did.

CanesFan27

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 24, 2016, 03:28:29 PM
No CanesFan27, I am not losing sleep over this. I just think siting potential Interstate designations to corridors when there is no evidence that said corridors are planned to become Interstates in the future is something that belongs in Fictional Highways.

Ooooo! Temper Temper!

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=100.msg2126854#msg2126854

(Emphasis mine)

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 15, 2016, 12:46:05 PM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on February 15, 2016, 11:49:30 AM
According to the minutes of the Super 70 Corridor Commission. Future Interstate corridor signs have been ordered and depending on what month's notes you read, will be delivered and posted some time in February to May 2016.

Signs will be at the termini of the corridor and at county lines.

There are no clues in to what the number will be.  Keep an eye out for the signs!

Per the US 70 Directors Report for Oct-Dec 2015 (pg. 5) there is a number range anticipated...
http://www.super70corridor.com/cms/lib04/NC01920485/Centricity/Domain/14/October%20and%20November%20Directors%20Report.pdf

QuoteAn official number for the new proposed Interstate along US 70 will be assigned by ASHTO [sic] at the May 2016 meeting.  It is anticipated it will be between 40 and 60.  Signs are now being fabricated and should be available by mid-March.  At that time we will begin posting signs.

42 would make the most sense based solely on grid placement - it is unlikely another E-W interstate would be between I-40 and US 70, but due to the proximity of NC 42 they could opt for 44 instead (they are already using NC 44 for a piece of this anyway).  It will also be curious to see if the number for the corridor east of Rocky Mount to Norfolk will be assigned and if so to what number.

Mike

CanesFan27

Quote from: english si on February 24, 2016, 03:41:50 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 24, 2016, 03:28:29 PMthere is no evidence that said corridors are planned to become Interstates in the future
Other than their being written into federal law as future interstates and have been proposed by NC to be upgraded to interstate standards for some time now...

And his participation in other threads that discuss the two corridors and the legislation that designated them Interstates.

slorydn1

I've said for a while that the US-70 corridor should be an x40 3di (I-340 has been my favorite) but many are opposed to that due to the length (and I agree that it would surpass I-476 by a good bit on that count). I would not be opposed to a 2di (I-42) since it would be just north of and branch off from, I-40.

The Raleigh-Norfolk route should most certainly be a 2di, especially since it truly would be an interstate route. I am not convinced that an x0 would work here (too short), but I-46 seems like a good designation for it.

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Jmiles32

Gawd I hope they don't chose I44 for the Raleigh- Hampton Roads route. WE ALREADY HAVE IT! I50 is my fav, tho I predict they'll chose I46. For the Route 70 route I think it'll be I42
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

ReeseFerlautoI74/85

Quote from: Jmiles32 on February 24, 2016, 09:59:09 PM
Gawd I hope they don't chose I44 for the Raleigh- Hampton Roads route. WE ALREADY HAVE IT! I50 is my fav, tho I predict they'll chose I46. For the Route 70 route I think it'll be I42

Or I-11.
If it is possible to cancel tolls on I-77, general purpose lanes should be the only option! In the words of Kurt Naas, 'complete and delete!'

Henry

Quote from: ReeseFerlautoI74/85 on February 25, 2016, 10:02:45 AM
Quote from: Jmiles32 on February 24, 2016, 09:59:09 PM

Or I-11.
I see your I-11, and raise you an I-99! :rofl:
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ReeseFerlautoI74/85

How about keeping I-11 and dumping I-99!!

SM-G360T1

If it is possible to cancel tolls on I-77, general purpose lanes should be the only option! In the words of Kurt Naas, 'complete and delete!'

The Ghostbuster

My apologies. It appears I was mistaken. I live in Wisconsin, so I don't have inside information on future Interstates in North Carolina. Have final decisions been made on which number these corridors will become? Until they have a definite numbered Interstate designation, any speculation on what the designation will be should be in Fictional Highways.

ReeseFerlautoI74/85

wdcrft63

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 25, 2016, 04:00:13 PM
My apologies. It appears I was mistaken. I live in Wisconsin, so I don't have inside information on future Interstates in North Carolina. Have final decisions been made on which number these corridors will become? Until they have a definite numbered Interstate designation, any speculation on what the designation will be should be in Fictional Highways.

The roads are not fictional; substantial sections of them already exist and additional sections are planned. AARoads has plenty of discussion in the regional forums about numbering possibilities for existing roads: I-14 in Texas, I-565 in Kentucky, I-69 in Tennessee come to mind. It would be silly to move these discussions to Fictional Highways.

froggie

Quote from: wdcrft63The roads are not fictional

The roads aren't fictional, but speculation on what they might be numbered is until there's some sort of announcement from NCDOT, AASHTO, or FHWA.

That said, might as well leave this thread here.  It's already being discussed and saves having to start a new thread once there *IS* an announcement.

wdcrft63

Quote from: froggie on February 26, 2016, 07:58:49 AM
Quote from: wdcrft63The roads are not fictional

The roads aren't fictional, but speculation on what they might be numbered is until there's some sort of announcement from NCDOT, AASHTO, or FHWA.

That said, might as well leave this thread here.  It's already being discussed and saves having to start a new thread once there *IS* an announcement.

Here's the distinction that makes sense to me. Speculation about an interstate designation for US 264 deserves to be in Fictional Highways, because no one has defined this to be an interstate corridor and NCDOT has nothing in the works to make it one. Speculation about an interstate designation for US 70, however, deserves to be in the Southeast forum because Congress has defined this to be an interstate corridor and NCDOT is gearing up to request a designation. That's objective information, not fiction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.