News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Large-enough cities passed over for control-city status

Started by golden eagle, April 11, 2016, 11:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

Southbound CA 99 in Sacramento is signed for Fresno, bypassing nearby Stockton (population 300K), about 40-45 miles south of Sacramento.

Southbound I-57 from Chicago is signed for Memphis, though Champaign could also be a control city, given that it's home to the state's flagship university and one of the larger urban areas in Illinois. Also in Chicago, southbound I-55 is signed for St. Louis, despite passing through Illinois' state capital, Springfield. Speaking of St. Louis, I-44's control city is Tulsa, passing over Springfield, MO. I could possibly justify it because it could cause confusion with Springfield, IL, 100 miles north of St. Louis.

TheHighwayMan3561

The most infamous one might be on I-95 in Maryland where Philadelphia is skipped in favor of New York City.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Kacie Jane

Quote from: golden eagle on April 11, 2016, 11:36:29 PM
Southbound CA 99 in Sacramento is signed for Fresno, bypassing nearby Stockton (population 300K), about 40-45 miles south of Sacramento.

There's probably two factors at play here. (1) 40-45 miles is maybe a bit close for a control city.  (2) I-5 and SR 99 both go from Sacramento to Stockton.  Only 99 goes to Fresno, so it makes more sense to use that to differentiate the two routes.

mariethefoxy

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 11, 2016, 11:49:44 PM
The most infamous one might be on I-95 in Maryland where Philadelphia is skipped in favor of New York City.

that I can see because most people going up and down the east coast take the Delaware Memorial bridge to the NJ turnpike.

NWI_Irish96

I don't know what defines "large enough" but South Bend is passed over as a control city on the eastbound Indiana Toll Road in favor of "Ohio"
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

golden eagle

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 12, 2016, 08:08:28 AM
I don't know what defines "large enough" but South Bend is passed over as a control city on the eastbound Indiana Toll Road in favor of "Ohio"

I hate state names for control cities  :banghead:.

PHLBOS

In MA, Lawrence used to be a control city for I-93 (mostly northbound); but now both it and Manchester, NH are passed over in favor of the more distant Concord, NH, the latter being NH's capital.

Along the YDH/128 stretch of I-95; Dedham has been passed over in favor of the less-populous Canton (where I-95 and I-93 meet) on newer southbound signs.  IMHO, Dedham should be maintained since that's where US 1 begins its long multiplex w/I-95 (then I-93 a few miles later) towards Boston.

Quote from: golden eagle on April 12, 2016, 09:22:29 AMI hate state names for control cities  :banghead:.
Apparently, MUTCD does too.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

nexus73

Quote from: golden eagle on April 12, 2016, 09:22:29 AM

Especially of the state in question is "Hawai'i"...LOL! 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

The Nature Boy

I feel as though I-80 in Ohio passes over a ton of "large enough cities" when it signs New York City as a control city.

Brandon

Southbound I-57 from Chicago is signed for Memphis, though Champaign could also be a control city, given that it's home to the state's flagship university and one of the larger urban areas in Illinois. Also in Chicago, southbound I-55 is signed for St. Louis, despite passing through Illinois' state capital, Springfield. Speaking of St. Louis, I-44's control city is Tulsa, passing over Springfield, MO. I could possibly justify it because it could cause confusion with Springfield, IL, 100 miles north of St. Louis.

IDOT uses two levels of control cities, a primary control (long distance, can be a state), and a secondary control (a shorter control, typically within Illinois).

1. Springfield is used as a secondary control city, as are Bloomington, Joliet, and East St Louis on I-55.
2. Champaign-Urbana is also a secondary control city, as are Kankakee, Effingham, Mt Vernon, and Cairo on I-57.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

The one that jumps out at me in my area is Evansville. No, I-64 does not technically go through it, but it's a destination along the route for a decent portion of traffic. Plus, it's now an intersection of two 2dis. The same logic that led to Dayton being used on I-70 could be used to add Evansville to I-64.

Quote from: The Nature Boy on April 12, 2016, 10:51:47 AM
I feel as though I-80 in Ohio passes over a ton of "large enough cities" when it signs New York City as a control city.

I disagree. Not really anything along the route in Pennsylvania warrants that status, IMO.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

I-5 north of Seattle is signed as "Vancouver, BC". Personally, I'm fine with this, but Bellingham, a city with a metro population of over 200,000 people, is rarely ever mentioned on signs. It's important to sign a border, of course, but Bellingham is a massive city to exclude from signs. Then again, it's messy to have multiple control cities, so I'd rather see Vancouver anyways.

TheStranger

Quote from: Kacie Jane on April 12, 2016, 02:29:28 AM

There's probably two factors at play here. (1) 40-45 miles is maybe a bit close for a control city.  (2) I-5 and SR 99 both go from Sacramento to Stockton.  Only 99 goes to Fresno, so it makes more sense to use that to differentiate the two routes.

Except that 5 south in Sacramento is signed for "Los Angeles" almost exclusively.  I recall there are some onramp signs for 99 south to Stockton (particularly where Stockton Boulevard/old US 50 & 99 connects with the freeway in South Sacramento) in the area though

Then again, and also in the theme of this thread...US 101 from Santa Clara south has "Los Angeles" as a control city, I'm not sure if Salinas is ever signed southbound in Santa Clara County as a matter of fact.
Chris Sampang

jp the roadgeek

I-84 East: Sturbridge (and Worcester) passed over for Boston (although it ends 55 miles short of Boston), New Britain (pop. 73,000) passed over between Waterbury and Hartford.

I-95 in RI: New London, New Haven, and Bridgeport passed over for New York
I-90 (both directions in NY and MA): Springfield sometimes passed over for Albany, NY/Boston
I-495: Foxboro passed over (should be included since many people from the west use it to get to Gillette)
I-65 North from Indianapolis: Gary passed over for Chicago
I-74 West from Indianapolis: Champaign and Bloomington passed over for Peoria
I-70 West from Indianapolis: Terre Haute and all of Illinois passed over for St. Louis

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Brandon

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 12, 2016, 04:01:00 PM
I-74 West from Indianapolis: Champaign and Bloomington passed over for Peoria
I-70 West from Indianapolis: Terre Haute and all of Illinois passed over for St. Louis

Again, IDOT uses two levels of controls, a primary (freeway to freeway) and a secondary (every other interchange).

I-74 has Danville, Champaign-Urbana, and Bloomington as secondary controls between Indiana and Peoria.  Peoria and Indianapolis are the primary controls.
I-70 has East St Louis, Effingham, and Terre Haute as secondary controls between St Louis and Indiana.  Indianapolis and St Louis are the primary controls.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

theline

Quote from: golden eagle on April 12, 2016, 09:22:29 AM

Other spots in the NW Indiana use a city rather than state, but the chosen city is Toledo, not South Bend. (https://goo.gl/maps/htLPYPWMey12) Sure, Toledo is bigger, but it much farther away.

KEVIN_224

I-84 East: Sturbridge (and Worcester) passed over for Boston (although it ends 55 miles short of Boston), New Britain (pop. 73,000) passed over between Waterbury and Hartford.

I'd say that's due to CT Route 9 being a better option for New Britain when coming from Hartford (via Exit39A) and CT Route 72 when coming from Waterbury (via Exit 35).

Pink Jazz

Is Yuma on I-8 large enough?  Flagstaff is a control city on I-17, so why not Yuma on I-8?  I do believe that on I-8 east of Gila Bend, the secondary city used to alternate between Gila Bend and Yuma, however, I think there may have been a signing replacement that removed all mentions of Yuma east of Gila Bend.

noelbotevera

US 101 north of Ventura to I believe Salinas skips San Jose, opting for San Francisco.
I-5 north of Los Angeles skips over Bakersfield, opting for Sacramento. It was formerly Bakersfield (many signs on the Arroyo Seco Parkway formerly had the control city of I-5 for Bakersfield).
I-20 at I-10 uses Dallas, instead of Abilene.

tdindy88

I-65 North from Indianapolis: Gary passed over for Chicago

Gary is also a shrinking city, it's not even the largest in Lake County anymore and very few people are interested in visiting it. Lafayette, also along I-65, is only a few thousand people short in population than Gary is now and could serve as a better control point, or at least a secondary control point. Otherwise, Chicago is just fine.

Quote from: hbelkins on April 12, 2016, 01:57:16 PM
The one that jumps out at me in my area is Evansville. No, I-64 does not technically go through it, but it's a destination along the route for a decent portion of traffic. Plus, it's now an intersection of two 2dis. The same logic that led to Dayton being used on I-70 could be used to add Evansville to I-64.

The only problem to this logic, while quite sound, is that when you drive I-70 north of Dayton you are passing through the northern suburbs of Dayton, even passing through the city for a small stretch. You can tell you are driving through the Dayton metro area, even if it's only the northern fringes of it. Meanwhile with I-64 in Evansville, you'd never notice that you are passing by Indiana's third largest city if not for the highway signs leading you onto I-69 and US 41. The development in Evansville is still roughly five miles south of the interstate. If all of Vanderburgh County gets developed than it may be an argument later.

Finally, with Missouri. If I understand it correctly, the mention of Tulsa along I-44 is only in the St. Louis area. South of there the control city more or less reverts to Springfield all the way to that city with only few mentions of Tulsa. Traveling east along I-44 in Missouri you don't see a whole lot of St. Louis until you get to Rolla.

golden eagle

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Miami the control city on I-95 in Virginia or North Carolina, despite passing through Savannah and Jacksonville? I also seem to recall southbound I-85 signed as Durham/Atlanta despite passing through Charlotte.

golden eagle

Quote from: Pink Jazz on April 12, 2016, 06:57:47 PM
Is Yuma on I-8 large enough?  Flagstaff is a control city on I-17, so why not Yuma on I-8?  I do believe that on I-8 east of Gila Bend, the secondary city used to alternate between Gila Bend and Yuma, however, I think there may have been a signing replacement that removed all mentions of Yuma east of Gila Bend.

I want to say Yuma is the control city starting in El Centro, CA.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 12, 2016, 06:02:38 PM

I'd say that's due to CT Route 9 being a better option for New Britain when coming from Hartford (via Exit39A) and CT Route 72 when coming from Waterbury (via Exit 35).

9 and 72 are main routes through New Britain, I-84 sorta forms a western bypass of the city proper.

DandyDan

On I-29 south of Council Bluffs, St. Joseph gets passed up for Kansas City, at least within Iowa.  I also believe Iowa City gets passed up on I-80 for Des Moines and Davenport (depending on which way you're going, of course).
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

KEVIN_224

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 12, 2016, 10:03:48 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 12, 2016, 06:02:38 PM

9 and 72 are main routes through New Britain, I-84 sorta forms a western bypass of the city proper.

Exactly! CT Routes 9 and 72 pass right through downtown. The only I-84 exit that comes close to being actually in New Britain is 36 - Slater Road. Even with that, the western edge of the loop ramp from I-84 West touches the Plainville town line.

We also have the Willow Brook Connector (unsigned CT Route 571). However, that's in Berlin and is really only a feeder highway into CT Route 9 south. In the other direction on the W.B.C., one would have to use CT Route 372 West then CT Route 72 West from that to reach I-84.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.