Google Maps Edit Requests (Map Maker now closed as of 03/31/17)

Started by TrevorB, June 22, 2016, 09:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrevorB

First of all, I don't know if this is the right place to put this, so feel free to move it if it's not.

After seeing a lot of frustration with Google Maps on the board (and rightfully so), I thought I would step in to help. I'm a Google Map Maker Regional Lead, meaning essentially any edit I make through the Map Maker program is automatically approved.

Therefore, if you have an issue with a road (or anything on the map), please post them below and I'll try to get to them. Also, if you're a Map Maker user and have an edit pending approval, you can link to the edit below and I'll approve it.

Hope I can help!

jp the roadgeek

I posted an edit a couple of weeks ago to have the NY 361 markers removed from Sharon Rd and Maple Ave. between the CT line and US 44 in Millerton, and to replace them with CR 62 markers.  The CR 62 markers were added, but the Route 361 markers still exist on the NY side of the border.  NY 361 was decommissioned in 1980.  CT 361 ends at the border.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

TrevorB

NY 361 successfully removed. May take an hour or two to go into effect.

7/8

Here's a screenshot of CR 118 near Bracebridge, ON

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.0560806,-79.4404006,11z

For some reason, it shows as CR 118 West, instead of just CR 118, and it definitely looks weird. Would you be able to fix this?

WillWeaverRVA

As far as I can tell, US 33 shouldn't be on Broad St anywhere past Harrison St, but it's shown as such out to Adams St.

VA 161 should be labeled as "N Boulevard" between VA 147 and where it becomes Hermitage Rd.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

TrevorB

Quote from: 7/8 on July 13, 2016, 03:18:21 PM
For some reason, it shows as CR 118 West, instead of just CR 118, and it definitely looks weird. Would you be able to fix this?

Fixed, but may take a bit longer to process since I'm only a regional lead for the United States. I'll check back periodically to see that it gets approved.

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 13, 2016, 04:07:13 PM
As far as I can tell, US 33 shouldn't be on Broad St anywhere past Harrison St, but it's shown as such out to Adams St.

Fixed, but for whatever reason it was triggered to go for further Google moderation. As with above, I'll check back periodically.

VA 161 should be labeled as "N Boulevard" between VA 147 and where it becomes Hermitage Rd.

Fixed this one and it went through automatically.

SD Mapman

In Spearfish, SD I've been trying to get US 14A removed from Jackson and Main and put onto the correct alignment of Colorado and 27th.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.4803757,-103.8082391,14z
I have succeeded in removing the shields from the incorrect alignment, but I can't figure out how to put them on the new one. (There is an edit pending to upgrade the correct route to major arterial and downgrade the old route to minor arterial)

Also, I-90 Business is not there at all (Exit 10 to Exit 14 along the main drag).
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

WillWeaverRVA

Thanks for the quick responses. More from Virginia:

Ocean View Ave should not have VA 168 on it (VA 168 begins at the Ocean View-Tidewater Dr intersection).

16th St in Newport News and Chesapeake Ave in Hampton are labeled VA 167, but VA 167 was decommissioned in 1995.
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

LM117

In Goldsboro, NC at the I-795/US-70 Bypass interchange, the ramp carrying traffic from I-795 South to US-70 Bypass West is still missing. It's been open since October 17, 2015.

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/Western-section-of-US-70-Goldsboro-Bypass-opens-Saturday-333651791.html
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

kphoger

US-277 & US-90 do not bypass Del Rio, Texas.  They still go through downtown by way of Veterans Blvd and Gibbs Street.  At some point in the last year or so, Google Maps switched the shields to follow Loop-79 around the east edge of the city, but this does not reflect reality.  US-377 terminates downtown, rather than bypassing the city as indicated.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cjw2001

Quote from: LM117 on July 14, 2016, 02:25:17 PM
In Goldsboro, NC at the I-795/US-70 Bypass interchange, the ramp carrying traffic from I-795 South to US-70 Bypass West is still missing. It's been open since October 17, 2015.

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/Western-section-of-US-70-Goldsboro-Bypass-opens-Saturday-333651791.html

The segment was mapped, it was just marked as "started" so it was invisible.   I've marked it as "completed" but it's pending Google moderation for approval.   Once approved it should show up.

Mr. Matté

I have a request down in Bath, NC where NC 99 is signed along what should be NC 92. A blue line along the road has been there since I made the edit but I don't know why it continues to be unrevised.

Also does anyone know what's going on with the shield addition in there? I've tried to add some county and state roads where shields aren't present, if I try to add a road as a Numbered Highway (say "County Route 621" or "North Carolina 906"), I get a red box that states "Please change the type of route to match the route name." If I also try "CR 621" or "NC 906" both Numbered Highway and Abbreviated, I get a "Something is wrong with this feature right now." Anyone else have any luck with the numbering features?

LM117

Quote from: cjw2001 on July 14, 2016, 03:00:48 PM

The segment was mapped, it was just marked as "started" so it was invisible.   I've marked it as "completed" but it's pending Google moderation for approval.   Once approved it should show up.

:thumbsup:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

lordsutch

Here's a pretty extensive problem around Macon: Google claims there's a State Route 361 designation on several roads, but it hasn't been in place for years (I think it was planned to become a GDOT-maintained bypass route but never really materialized since I-475 was built instead). So GM Navigation tells people to turn on GA 361, which of course is confusing because none of the roads are signed that way.

Start here and work your way around west to Fulton Mill Road, then north all the way up to US 23.

Also in the same area, GA 11 (and US 41) was moved off of Houston Road decades ago onto current US 41 (Industrial Highway) to the east. There's also a weird GA 11 section here for some reason.

Finally, this intersection should be changed to a roundabout: here is my edit, but I probably didn't do it right.

TrevorB

Updates:

Partially approved, waiting for approval on the other half.

Denied for whatever reason, but resubmitted with more explanation. 

Ok, here we go! The thread is getting popular so bare with me -

Quote from: SD Mapman on July 14, 2016, 01:01:21 AM
In Spearfish, SD I've been trying to get US 14A removed from Jackson and Main and put onto the correct alignment of Colorado and 27th.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.4803757,-103.8082391,14z
I have succeeded in removing the shields from the incorrect alignment, but I can't figure out how to put them on the new one. (There is an edit pending to upgrade the correct route to major arterial and downgrade the old route to minor arterial)

Also, I-90 Business is not there at all (Exit 10 to Exit 14 along the main drag).

Approved your three pending edits. Also added 14A to Colorado and 27th, ending at the EB exit and WB entrance ramps for 90. Not sure if this is the right ending place, so let me know if it's not. Google gave an error when trying to add Business 90.

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 14, 2016, 02:15:08 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. More from Virginia:

Ocean View Ave should not have VA 168 on it (VA 168 begins at the Ocean View-Tidewater Dr intersection).

16th St in Newport News and Chesapeake Ave in Hampton are labeled VA 167, but VA 167 was decommissioned in 1995.

VA168 starts at Tidewater Dr on my end. Nothing to fix. VA 167 was removed successfully.

Quote from: cjw2001 on July 14, 2016, 03:00:48 PM

What he said.

Quote from: kphoger on July 14, 2016, 02:57:15 PM
US-277 & US-90 do not bypass Del Rio, Texas.  They still go through downtown by way of Veterans Blvd and Gibbs Street.  At some point in the last year or so, Google Maps switched the shields to follow Loop-79 around the east edge of the city, but this does not reflect reality.  US-377 terminates downtown, rather than bypassing the city as indicated.

My hands appear to be tied on this one. I tried to start making edits and they were all having to go to Google for further moderation. I'll keep an eye on the edits.

Quote from: Mr. Matté on July 14, 2016, 04:38:28 PM
I have a request down in Bath, NC where NC 99 is signed along what should be NC 92. A blue line along the road has been there since I made the edit but I don't know why it continues to be unrevised.

Also does anyone know what's going on with the shield addition in there? I've tried to add some county and state roads where shields aren't present, if I try to add a road as a Numbered Highway (say "County Route 621" or "North Carolina 906"), I get a red box that states "Please change the type of route to match the route name." If I also try "CR 621" or "NC 906" both Numbered Highway and Abbreviated, I get a "Something is wrong with this feature right now." Anyone else have any luck with the numbering features?

99/92 issue is sent off to Google for further review. Google Map Maker is fairly dilapidated and it's clear that Google doesn't focus much on it anymore. That is one of the known issues that has fallen on deaf ears for the last year.

Quote from: lordsutch on July 14, 2016, 05:50:03 PM
Here's a pretty extensive problem around Macon: Google claims there's a State Route 361 designation on several roads, but it hasn't been in place for years (I think it was planned to become a GDOT-maintained bypass route but never really materialized since I-475 was built instead). So GM Navigation tells people to turn on GA 361, which of course is confusing because none of the roads are signed that way.

Start here and work your way around west to Fulton Mill Road, then north all the way up to US 23.

Also in the same area, GA 11 (and US 41) was moved off of Houston Road decades ago onto current US 41 (Industrial Highway) to the east. There's also a weird GA 11 section here for some reason.

Finally, this intersection should be changed to a roundabout: here is my edit, but I probably didn't do it right.

361 successfully obliterated. 11 removed from Houston Road (it was already added to Industrial Highway) and deleted it from that weird section. Also approved your roundabout edit.

I think I got them all! If yours had to go for Google approval, I'll keep you updated.

djsekani

I wish the Waze map editors were this helpful  :D

Alex

Might as well have you look into removing CR 583A from Sunset Lane in Lutz, FL. It was previously a secondary route, but has been out of the system for decades. Hillsborough County maps often include the route too, which may be why it persists on Google Maps.

Further south in Tampa, Florida 616 is missing from Spruce Street/Boy Scout Boulevard/Columbus Drive between Florida 60 (Memorial Highway) and U.S. 92. Furthermore FL 589 should not be shown south of FL 60, and FL 60 should be shown as a freeway west to a point just beyond the ramps with "Bayport Drive" and "Campbell Causeway Access Road S" as there is an interchange there.

Florida 685 does not extend southwest of U.S. 92, it ends at Dale Mabry Highway and is only signed along Henderson between there and Florida 60 (Kennedy Boulevard). Ages ago it was a secondary route to Manhattan Avenue.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: TrevorB on July 14, 2016, 08:41:34 PM

Denied for whatever reason, but resubmitted with more explanation. 

Weird. Hopefully they'll approve it the second time. If they need documentation, VDOT's traffic logs (rather confusingly) show US 33 heading up Hancock Street (not Harrison, oops) from Broad to Leigh, which is US 33. The log shows Leigh to Harrison as VA 33.
Will Weaver

SD Mapman

More edits in the North Lawrence/Butte County areas, mainly dealing with names and road types (which are pretty spotty out here). There is one involving shifting SD 473 onto its new alignment and trying to eliminate the old one (as they tore it up to mine gold).
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

TrevorB

Updates:
For those of you who have pending edits that have to go to Google for moderation, hang in there. It sometimes takes a bit but will eventually be reviewed.

New changes:

Quote from: Alex on July 15, 2016, 08:10:41 AM
Might as well have you look into removing CR 583A from Sunset Lane in Lutz, FL. It was previously a secondary route, but has been out of the system for decades. Hillsborough County maps often include the route too, which may be why it persists on Google Maps.

Further south in Tampa, Florida 616 is missing from Spruce Street/Boy Scout Boulevard/Columbus Drive between Florida 60 (Memorial Highway) and U.S. 92. Furthermore FL 589 should not be shown south of FL 60, and FL 60 should be shown as a freeway west to a point just beyond the ramps with "Bayport Drive" and "Campbell Causeway Access Road S" as there is an interchange there.

Florida 685 does not extend southwest of U.S. 92, it ends at Dale Mabry Highway and is only signed along Henderson between there and Florida 60 (Kennedy Boulevard). Ages ago it was a secondary route to Manhattan Avenue.

583A was successfully removed.

I see 616 on the stretch that you mentioned on my end, so nothing to change. Removed 589 from the stretch you mentioned but has to go to Google for further moderation. Since the "freeway" portion of FL 60 is so small (only one interchange), I typically would keep it just as a regional highway as it is.

Successfully removed 685 southwest of Dale Mabry.

Quote from: SD Mapman on July 15, 2016, 01:47:23 PM
More edits in the North Lawrence/Butte County areas, mainly dealing with names and road types (which are pretty spotty out here). There is one involving shifting SD 473 onto its new alignment and trying to eliminate the old one (as they tore it up to mine gold).

Approved what I could, the rest will have to be approved by Google.

Roadsguy

Many "lesser" expressways (i.e. freeways) are just labeled as surface roads and should be marked as freeway or expressway accordingly. Here are a bunch from just Pennsylvania:

• The US 40 section of the Uniontown bypass
  • The US 219 Meyersdale bypass
  • The US 22/522 Lewistown bypass
  • Half of the Johnstown Expressway (PA 56) is not shown as freeway for some reason.
  • US 422 around Butler, from the bridge over Benbrook Rd. to east of Mitchell Hill Rd.
  • PA 8 from north of I-80 to just south of Franklin, specifically the two intersections with its old alignment.
  • The bypasses for US 30 around Bedford and Everett. Arguably McConnellsburg as well, as that bypass is marked as a two-lane freeway on PA's official state maps.
  • The US 11/15 Selinsgrove Bypass between just south of the Market St. on-ramp, and the partial cloverleaf where it stub-ends.
  • The US 15 expressway around New Milton, New Columbia, and West Deer, between North Ave. and Joe Rd.
  • The Harvey Taylor Bridge and its connector to US 11/15 west of Harrisburg.
  • US 322/Eisenhower Blvd. between Paxton St. and I-83, as well as between the main part of the Eisenhower Interchange and Mushroom Hill Rd.
  • US 30 around York, but only between PA 462 and Kenneth Rd.
  • Also in York, the Business 83 connector to I-83 is marked as ramps, despite being long enough to qualify as a distinct road.
  • The Commodore Barry Bridge and its approach to I-95 in Chester. (US 130 in NJ between 322 and 295 is also freeway.)
  • The Media Bypass (US 1)
  • US 13 in Levittown between Fallsington Rd. and US 1.
  • The Sellersville Bypass (PA 309)
  • For some reason only half of the US 202 part of the Doylestown Bypass is shown as freeway, and not all of it up to the State St. intersection.
  • US 209 between PA 33 and I-80 is an expressway (not freeway, due to two intersections in the middle of it).
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Thing 342

The MLK Freeway extension (freeway south of VA-141)  in Portsmouth, VA is shown as being open, when it is currently 3+ months from completion: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.8331893,-76.3239879,14.75z
VA-199 isn't a freeway between VA-5 (John Tyler Hwy) and SR-637 (Quarterpath Rd).

7/8

Quote from: TrevorB on July 14, 2016, 08:41:34 PM
Updates:

Partially approved, waiting for approval on the other half.

Sorry to be a pain, but even with the partial update, it's still incorrect.

This is what it looks like now:

However, this whole section (from CR 169 to ON 11) should be county road 118, with a flowerpot (trapezoid) shield.

Thanks again :)

TrevorB

That's the part I'm waiting for approval on.

Edit: Ohh, I see what you're saying. Okay, a new request has been put in.

Jbte

There are many issues in Mexico map I would love to be fixed, but it's a tedious work and long process, been editing past months some segments but unfortunately I'm not a regional leader and my suggestions takes months for approval and editing some misleading paths are a tedious work.

Something I don't like about google maps legend, there are roads that could be easily accepted as main highway like this one in Querétaro, but it takes it as a regular, it might be due highway standards like in US but unfortunately in Mexico that's not an option, rather than having a 4 lanes highway is considered as main highway even if there are non controlled acces and the libre one, my point here is to make a difference which one is "libre" and which one is "cuota" (toll and non toll) and which are primary roads like in the examples. Contrary of what it should be like this case, the highway is market as main highway but there's an irregular access, so applying highway standards in Mexico is not possible.

So there's alot to change in that meaning, also some other roads that are considered rural or unpaved and are a paved road or some are unpaved or rural and considered as main highway like this one... so many issues and so many to fix...

Hope you are interested in fixing (I'll be gladly help or contribute), or forget about it... it's Mexico  :sombrero:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.