News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Omaha terminus of historic US 38

Started by usends, June 25, 2016, 10:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

In Omaha, we know that the short-lived US 38 went north on 36th Street, junctioning US 30 at Farnham Street.  But I would be surprised if it actually ended there.  More likely it continued east on Farnham, perhaps ending at the courthouse on 18th.  Anyone have a map detailed enough to confirm?  Or maybe an historic photo taken along Farnham and showing highway signs?
http://usends.weebly.com/38.html
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

coatimundi

It doesn't really make sense for it to have ended at Farnham in terms of the whole system, but the front of the Blackstone Hotel would have been a very desirable spot to end a highway among local leaders at the time. You may be able to find some old photos of the Blackstone that show the hotel from that intersection, as it's the most flattering view of the building.
Just an idea.

usends

Finally found photographic proof that US 38 did not end on 36th St. 
Rather, it was dual-signed with US 30 to at least 18th and Douglas (where I suspect, but cannot prove, that it terminated).
Full article has historic photos and maps.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

brad2971

Considering that neither Colorado nor Nebraska have a state highway numbered 38, US 38 should be resurrected. It can be done this way: From the corner of 9th and O Streets in Lincoln, US 38 can go westward on US 6 and US 34 to west of Fort Morgan, CO. Westward from there, US 38 can piggyback onto I-76 and I-70 to Exit 232, then take over current US 40 all the way to I-80 at Park City (UT).

Now, there may have to be some changes. For example, US 34 would have to end at Grand Island, leaving the standalone section of US 34 between I-76 Exit 66 and Granby to be SH 34. Also, US 6 would have to piggybacked onto I-80, I-76, and I-70 between Council Bluffs and Loveland Pass (CO). Not to mention, UDOT would have to renumber SR 38 north of Brigham City. But still, this renumbered US 38 would be an excellent fit to the grid between I-80 and I-70.

The Ghostbuster

US 38 was decommissioned in 1931, but US 138 still exists to this day. Go figure!

edwaleni

Interesting that all of those US routes (30, 34, 38) all junctioned in Omaha way back when. None of them do today.

I am pretty shocked how far west Omaha has grown. The suburbs are now bumping up on the Elkhorn River and it won't be long before they will be out to the Platte.

SkyPesos

Quote from: edwaleni on September 07, 2023, 06:46:58 PM
Interesting that all of those US routes (30, 34, 38) all junctioned in Omaha way back when. None of them do today.

I am pretty shocked how far west Omaha has grown. The suburbs are now bumping up on the Elkhorn River and it won't be long before they will be out to the Platte.
US 32 did as well, with its western terminus in Omaha before it (and US 38) got absorbed by US 6.

SD Mapman

My in-laws (descendants of Nebraska pioneers) don't think they'll ever get past the Elkhorn, mainly due to flooding concerns. It's not like 2019 is likely to happen again, but it did happen...
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

edwaleni

Quote from: SD Mapman on September 07, 2023, 10:17:27 PM

My in-laws (descendants of Nebraska pioneers) don't think they'll ever get past the Elkhorn, mainly due to flooding concerns. It's not like 2019 is likely to happen again, but it did happen...

It appears that the developers aren't wasting anytime building developments in those spent quarries between the two rivers. Lots of homes being built on water facing lots off US-275 west of Valley and Waterloo.

rte66man

Quote from: edwaleni on September 07, 2023, 10:56:19 PM

It appears that the developers aren't wasting anytime building developments in those spent quarries between the two rivers. Lots of homes being built on water facing lots off US-275 west of Valley and Waterloo.

[nitpick]
Those were sand pits, not quarries. Different mining procedures. Proximity to the river gives it away.
[\nitpick]
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

edwaleni

Quote from: rte66man on September 08, 2023, 11:59:15 AM
Quote from: edwaleni on September 07, 2023, 10:56:19 PM

[nitpick]
Those were sand pits, not quarries. Different mining procedures. Proximity to the river gives it away.
[\nitpick]

Back at you brother....

A sand pit would be an hole in the ground that contained sand. A sand quarry would be an area where sand was harvested

Take your pick (or nitpick I mean)  :-/

So where those houses have been built is where the sand was already removed and harvested, hence a quarry.

Depends on some parts of the US. Pits and quarries are used interchangeably. In some states there are legal differences.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.