News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 70 Broadway Bridge to Close September 28

Started by US71, August 26, 2016, 12:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

AHTD has announced the 1923 US 70 bridge over the Arkansas River will close permanently on September 28. Work will then begin on demolishing the bridge in anticipation of opening the new bridge within 6 moths.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

sparker

Quote from: US71 on August 26, 2016, 12:14:41 PM
AHTD has announced the 1923 US 70 bridge over the Arkansas River will close permanently on September 28. Work will then begin on demolishing the bridge in anticipation of opening the new bridge within 6 moths.
I never had the occasion to use that bridge; always was on one of the Interstates (usually 30 or 430).  Does anyone have any pix of the structure? -- be nice to have these posted before it's gone for good!

US71

Quote from: sparker on August 26, 2016, 03:16:56 PM
Quote from: US71 on August 26, 2016, 12:14:41 PM
I never had the occasion to use that bridge; always was on one of the Interstates (usually 30 or 430).  Does anyone have any pix of the structure? -- be nice to have these posted before it's gone for good!

http://bridgehunter.com/ar/pulaski/broadway/

sparker

Man, that's an old bridge!  Looks like the center steel arch was an "aftermarket" replacement for a couple of the original mid-river arches (possibly to widen the navigable channel!).  Now that I've seen the old one, does anyone have access to any preliminary plans/drawings of the replacement (for comparison)?

Big John

Quote from: sparker on August 26, 2016, 09:50:19 PM
Man, that's an old bridge!  Looks like the center steel arch was an "aftermarket" replacement for a couple of the original mid-river arches (possibly to widen the navigable channel!).
per the link: History
    Completed March 1923 as a five-span open-spandrel arch bridge. Two spans replaced with a single steel through arch span in 1974.

capt.ron

I have driven across it once. I had no idea it was that old!

rte66man

Bumping the thread to highlight a recent photo of the demolition by Kirk Jordan:

Kirk is not a member of this forum so I took the liberty of "liberating" this from his Facebook feed.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10210635225534843&set=a.1163926096349.2025810.1173754763&type=3&theater
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

rte66man

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

capt.ron

They're trying to blow the thing up but the bridge refuses to give way. :)

US71

Quote from: capt.ron on October 11, 2016, 12:47:17 PM
They're trying to blow the thing up but the bridge refuses to give way. :)
They built it too well ;)

US71

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.