News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interesting county highway lettering trends

Started by peterj920, September 01, 2016, 04:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterj920

Wisconsin's county highway lettering system is truly unique, but I'm finding that the lettering is even more interesting. 

For the longest time, there wasn't any County L, but the ones that were designated were all former numbered highways.  (Wis 24, Wis 26, US 51). County LL was once US 141.  Guess for some reason counties did not like the letter L. 

Triple letters are seldomly used, but Fond Du Lac County seems to like them.  (HHH, VVV, OOO).  Despite the rarity, there are 2 County HHH. 

GV seems to be an odd combination, but there are 2 County GV's within 25 miles (Brown, Outagamie).  Brown was first, and was supposed to indicate that it went to County G and V.  Outagamie was because it went into Greenville. 

For the bottom of the alphabet, X seems to be a popular letter.

PP also seems to be a popular lower of the alphabet double letter combination. 

County A in many counties seems to travel through the oldest settlements of a county since it was most likely the first letter used when designating a county highway. 

Brown County seems to have the most random designations recently (KB, MW, VK, RK,) Despite those randoms, county roads starting with I are county roads that do not end at another highway.  EB and EA are parralel arterials to I-41 and I-43. 

Any other interesting thoughts on lettering? 

SSOWorld

I have to go CTH PP.

CTH EW.

Quote from: peterj920 on September 01, 2016, 04:39:48 AM
Triple letters are seldomly used, but Fond Du Lac County seems to like them.  (HHH, VVV, OOO).  Despite the rarity, there are 2 County HHH. 

Yes there are.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mgk920

'L' and 'R' were not used until fairly recently because in the earlier days of automobility, shields with the letters 'L' and 'R' were used instead of arrows to mark routing turns.

Mike

dvferyance

Quote from: mgk920 on September 01, 2016, 11:14:17 AM
'L' and 'R' were not used until fairly recently because in the earlier days of automobility, shields with the letters 'L' and 'R' were used instead of arrows to mark routing turns.

Mike
Hwy L in Kenosha County is not a fmr state highway I highly doubt the one in Washburn County is either. Hwy R in Waukesha County is not a fmr state Highway. Hwy R in Dodge County is it was once WI-109. Interesting that L is one of the 5 letters Missouri doesn't use and R is one of the two they don;t use much.. Waukesha County has a Hwy LO but that was chosen to honor Loyd Owens. It;s also worth noting that A is the only letter that does not exist in Waukesha County. Neither A or AA or any double letter combination with A is used at all in Waukesha County.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dvferyance on September 01, 2016, 12:50:31 PM

Mike
Hwy L in Kenosha County is not a fmr state highway I highly doubt the one in Washburn County is either. Hwy R in Waukesha County is not a fmr state Highway. Hwy R in Dodge County is it was once WI-109. Interesting that L is one of the 5 letters Missouri doesn't use and R is one of the two they don;t use much.. Waukesha County has a Hwy LO but that was chosen to honor Loyd Owens. It;s also worth noting that A is the only letter that does not exist in Waukesha County. Neither A or AA or any double letter combination with A is used at all in Waukesha County.

Waukesha County A used to be what is now Waukesha County L - and was WI-24 in between.

Waukesha County AA used to be on what is now Maple Avenue between County L just south of Big Bend, and WI-83 just south of Mukwonago. 

Where is County R currently in Waukesha County?

dvferyance

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 01, 2016, 02:13:22 PM

Mike

Waukesha County A used to be what is now Waukesha County L - and was WI-24 in between.

Waukesha County AA used to be on what is now Maple Avenue between County L just south of Big Bend, and WI-83 just south of Mukwonago. 

It runs between WI-16 and Nashotah Park between CR-C and CR-P. My point was the letter A is not currently used in Waukesha County. It was once used for the short stretch of what is now WI-164 between WI-59 and US-18 until the 80's. One thing I just noticed the other day is that Jefferson County only uses single letters not sure if any other county does that.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dvferyance on September 01, 2016, 02:22:27 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 01, 2016, 02:13:22 PM

Mike

It runs between WI-16 and Nashotah Park between CR-C and CR-P. My point was the letter A is not currently used in Waukesha County. It was once used for the short stretch of what is now WI-164 between WI-59 and US-18 until the 80's. One thing I just noticed the other day is that Jefferson County only uses single letters not sure if any other county does that.

Thank you on the County R thing.  I was just providing some history regarding County A. 

Jefferson County does have a couple double letters.

CW, which heads into Watertown from the east
SC, which runs north from WI-16 southeast of Watertown.
CI, which is the old WI-106 west of WI-67.

All of these are extensions of highways that exist in other counties though.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

GeekJedi

Mike
Hwy L in Kenosha County is not a fmr state highway I highly doubt the one in Washburn County is either. Hwy R in Waukesha County is not a fmr state Highway.

Has nothing to do with whether or not it was a former state highway.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

dvferyance

Quote from: GeekJedi on September 01, 2016, 07:24:07 PM

Mike
Hwy L in Kenosha County is not a fmr state highway I highly doubt the one in Washburn County is either. Hwy R in Waukesha County is not a fmr state Highway.

Has nothing to do with whether or not it was a former state highway.
I know I was just recacting to what Mike said in his first post that the ones designated were former state highways.

jbnv

Despite those ransoms, county roads starting with I are county roads that do not end at another highway.  EB and EA are parralel arterials to I-41 and I-43. 

Doesn't county road ID run on the former alignment of US 18-151? (ID = "Iowa-Dane", two two counties in which the highway resides.)
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

SSOWorld

Quote from: jbnv on September 04, 2016, 10:37:50 AM
Despite those ransoms, county roads starting with I are county roads that do not end at another highway.  EB and EA are parralel arterials to I-41 and I-43. 

Doesn't county road ID run on the former alignment of US 18-151? (ID = "Iowa-Dane", two two counties in which the highway resides.)
I'm going to need to see some "ID" before you get your answer ;)

Yes - from Barneveld to east of Mt. Horeb.  There are other parallels - 2 "HHH"s (Ridgeway and Keiler), an MV (parallel with a US-151 BUS in Verona), and an "XX" (Belmont to Platteville) that starts at 126 (which was extended to the freeway)
Scott O.

Raise your what?

peterj920

Quote from: jbnv on September 04, 2016, 10:37:50 AM
Despite those randoms, county roads starting with I are county roads that do not end at another highway.  EB and EA are parralel arterials to I-41 and I-43. 

The beginning "I" rule for county highways that do not end at other highways only applies to Brown County. 

peterj920

Quote from: peterj920 on September 06, 2016, 12:44:43 AM
Quote from: SSOWorld on September 01, 2016, 05:47:53 PM
Quote from: NE2 on September 01, 2016, 10:29:04 AM
<--- (see his CTH P - OO avatar)
Exactly.

Here's the updated sign assembly with a unisign
Nice.  :-D

Are there any junctions of County A and SS?  ;-)

I've noticed that there are quite a few lettered N and BB around the state - as for BB, I've been on four, having clinched two, and there are probably several more throughout the state.

Interesting how PP is so common - is it because it sounds funny when said aloud?

Brown County does have some random ones - where do KB, MW, VK, RK, and HS come from?
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

peterj920

There is in Sheboygan County, I posted it a while back.  Can't post now because I'm on a phone.  HS stands for Howard Suamico, the 2 communities it passes through.  The others I have no idea how they came up with those.  Would like it if Lombardi Ave would have been VL for Vince Lombardi, I think that would be a lot better. 

peterj920

Here's the sign

Interesting enough it looks like the signs were intentionally posted separate to avoid the combination along Wis 28

This is for the Ric Flair fans

If you like P's
No idea why the road would be named Old County Road PP if the entire road is current County PP in Sheboygan Falls

X rated

Quote from: peterj920 on September 07, 2016, 10:05:15 PM

Here's the sign

Interesting enough it looks like the signs were intentionally posted separate to avoid the combination along Wis 28

This is for the Ric Flair fans

If you like P's
No idea why the road would be named Old County Road PP if the entire road is current County PP in Sheboygan Falls

X rated

Did anybody else notice that on the PPP/PP/PP sign, the two signs for PP were pointed in the same direction?  :pan:

GeekJedi

Quote from: RandomDude172 on September 08, 2016, 06:51:43 AM

Did anybody else notice that on the PPP/PP/PP sign, the two signs for PP were pointed in the same direction?  :pan:

Actually, one says "County PP" and the other says "OLD COUNTY ROAD PP".
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

peterj920

Quote from: GeekJedi on September 08, 2016, 10:59:32 AM

They're the same road which makes it even stranger.

Mrt90

I remember reading an article in the Kenosha News (couldn't find it now after a short search) about the names of the county highways in Kenosha County. There weren't any interesting reasons for the names. All of them were named after prominent county/town politicians or long-time highway department employees. The only exception to that that I can remember is Hwy KR which is the county line between Kenosha and Racine counties. The rest of them were just initials of people I never heard of.

I don't think Kenosha has ever had a triple letter highway, with all of the possible two letter combinations I'm not sure why anyone does.  I'm not sure if Racine County even has any two letter highways?

invincor

Just why is it that we use letters and hardly any other states do?   

Is it just because we numbered our highways before anyone else did, and thought letters would be good to distinguish the county system, but then no one else followed our lead on that point? 

Quote from: peterj920 on September 08, 2016, 01:37:39 PM
Quote from: GeekJedi on September 08, 2016, 10:59:32 AM

They're the same road which makes it even stranger.

I think that's the dumbest road-related thing I've ever seen.  :paranoid:

DaBigE

Quote from: invincor on September 08, 2016, 04:49:01 PM
Just why is it that we use letters and hardly any other states do?   

Is it just because we numbered our highways before anyone else did, and thought letters would be good to distinguish the county system, but then no one else followed our lead on that point?

It probably goes along with the notion of not having duplicate highway identifications (IH vs. US vs. state highways). If you want to continue down that path, using letter identifications is the easiest way of doing so. You could always go to four digit numbered highways, but three digits seems to be as large as WisDOT ever wants to go.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.