News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Innovative, Unique, or Strange Lane Markings

Started by TEG24601, September 14, 2016, 11:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 15, 2017, 08:48:35 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 15, 2017, 06:39:36 PM
Cape Town, ZA

Think you might mean SF...

I think you might have meant SA, but either way, I'm used to writing ZA because that's their ISO country code.

Scott5114

Quote from: jakeroot on November 15, 2017, 08:54:33 PM
Cape Town, ZA

I think you might have meant SA, but either way, I'm used to writing ZA because that's their ISO country code.

So it is. At one point it must have been SF, as that was the two-letter code it was given on a large map we had at my school.

Please disregard.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 15, 2017, 08:58:41 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 15, 2017, 08:54:33 PM
Cape Town, ZA

So it is. At one point it must have been SF, as that was the two-letter code it was given on a large map we had at my school.

Please disregard.

That would make sense. South Africa, to distinguish it from South America (in the event that someone shorthands South America to SA).

SA is a very common shorthand for South Africa, since that's the initialism. I only know better because all their websites end in co.za, so I'm very used to the ISO code (I read a lot of South African news -- I find it to be a fascinating country, in terms of both roads and politics).

riiga

SF used to be the code for Finland on vehicles when driving internationally.

jakeroot

Quote from: riiga on November 16, 2017, 12:28:52 PM

Gotta wonder where that came from. Are the number plate codes based on the English language names of the countries, or the native language?

empirestate

Quote from: jakeroot on November 16, 2017, 01:10:05 PM

Gotta wonder where that came from. Are the number plate codes based on the English language names of the countries, or the native language?

"Suomi Finland", no doubt.

jakeroot

Quote from: empirestate on November 16, 2017, 01:13:07 PM

I thought that might have been it, but it sounded redundant. Surprised they didn't go with the ISO code FI.

kphoger

Suomi Finland.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

riiga

Quote from: jakeroot on November 16, 2017, 01:14:27 PM

I thought that might have been it, but it sounded redundant. Surprised they didn't go with the ISO code FI.
They changed to FIN in 1993. "Suomi Finland" was because it used both official languages of Finland: Finnish and Swedish.

jakeroot

Quote from: riiga on November 16, 2017, 02:06:59 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 16, 2017, 01:14:27 PM

They changed to FIN in 1993. "Suomi Finland" was because it used both official languages of Finland: Finnish and Swedish.

Thank you. Didn't seem as straight-forward as just putting the country name twice.

jakeroot

Not really strange or unique. Just wrong.

A new-ish dogbone roundabout in Vancouver, WA briefly had markings that indicated left and straight were options from both lanes:

https://goo.gl/SVVayT

kylebnjmnross

I was messing around on Google Maps, as you do, and I noticed that on this portion of US 6 in Connecticut, there are double broken white lines. I don't understand the purpose of this, especially because it looks like they keep repainting them that way when the old paint fades.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7200368,-72.2775835,3a,72.8y,41.22h,74.24t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sXgRmkqd2ata6jZuMwPRg6w!2e0!5s20220801T000000!7i16384!8i8192

And then the lane ends, and this happens:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7232959,-72.2561214,3a,25y,90.8h,83.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-W1PdsTD6rEYI9aUzoLOlA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Mapmikey

Quote from: kylebnjmnross on May 20, 2023, 09:46:43 PM
I was messing around on Google Maps, as you do, and I noticed that on this portion of US 6 in Connecticut, there are double broken white lines. I don't understand the purpose of this, especially because it looks like they keep repainting them that way when the old paint fades.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7200368,-72.2775835,3a,72.8y,41.22h,74.24t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sXgRmkqd2ata6jZuMwPRg6w!2e0!5s20220801T000000!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7232959,-72.2561214,3a,25y,90.8h,83.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-W1PdsTD6rEYI9aUzoLOlA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The lines at the end are meant to convey that the right lane can move left but the center lane cannot move to the right.  This is a common striping configuration in Europe.

I would guess the first part just means it is okay for the center lane to move right.  But since the distance to the merge is pretty far i can't tell you why a double white broken line is there and not a single one.

vdeane

New York used to use double white broken lines for climbing lanes.  It's probably something to do with it being a (really long) merge lane.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadfro

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 21, 2023, 09:54:08 AM

The lines at the end are meant to convey that the right lane can move left but the center lane cannot move to the right.  This is a common striping configuration in Europe.

I would guess the first part just means it is okay for the center lane to move right.  But since the distance to the merge is pretty far i can't tell you why a double white broken line is there and not a single one.

Another thing with this situation is what happens after the right lane ends: https://goo.gl/maps/RTXYNKwdEdngZGe36.

I've never understood why some jurisdictions use a dotted lane line up to the point where the lane completely disappears. Why give the impression there's a lane all the way up to the point where the lane is gone? This example is pretty abrupt for the lane ending, but others that edge line tapers inward for a considerable distance making the travel lane gradually narrower until you realize the lane is ending. (I also find that examples, including this one, often don't have a "lane ends" warning sign, which further compounds the confusion.) Better to just not have a lane line at all, and have merge arrows near the taper.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: roadfro on May 21, 2023, 04:29:55 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on May 21, 2023, 09:54:08 AM

Another thing with this situation is what happens after the right lane ends: https://goo.gl/maps/RTXYNKwdEdngZGe36.

I've never understood why some jurisdictions use a dotted lane line up to the point where the lane completely disappears. Why give the impression there's a lane all the way up to the point where the lane is gone? This example is pretty abrupt for the lane ending, but others that edge line tapers inward for a considerable distance making the travel lane gradually narrower until you realize the lane is ending. (I also find that examples, including this one, often don't have a "lane ends" warning sign, which further compounds the confusion.) Better to just not have a lane line at all, and have merge arrows near the taper.

I think the typical practice in NY is to have the dotted line extend all the way to the end of the taper for an acceleration lane, and it doesn't bother me. It's easy enough to tell where the lane ends. And sometimes it can be useful to mark the dotted line over the taper for short merge areas where you want to clearly denote the edge of the travel lane and who has right-of-way.

What bothers me more is when acceleration lanes, auxiliary lanes etc. are given regular lane lines so you have no hint at all that it's not just another travel lane. NJ is really bad about this.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/Bc1P2GdFhn7L6emo7
Some may say the separate stop bars are strange, but considering semis swing wide turns, this is necessary for a right turn from the left.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadfro

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on May 22, 2023, 01:01:51 AM
Quote from: roadfro on May 21, 2023, 04:29:55 PM

I think the typical practice in NY is to have the dotted line extend all the way to the end of the taper for an acceleration lane, and it doesn't bother me. It's easy enough to tell where the lane ends. And sometimes it can be useful to mark the dotted line over the taper for short merge areas where you want to clearly denote the edge of the travel lane and who has right-of-way.

What bothers me more is when acceleration lanes, auxiliary lanes etc. are given regular lane lines so you have no hint at all that it's not just another travel lane. NJ is really bad about this.

Perhaps it's a product of most of my driving experience being in places that don't do this. But I've driven in some other places that use this treatment with no other sign or pavement marking warning of the merge, so it's caught me off guard and merging last second. In an unfamiliar location, the dotted line can easily be confused for an indication of a continuing auxiliary lane.

As an example, here's a semi-typical NDOT treatment–lane line ends a distance about twice the length of the taper ahead of the taper, and then at least two merge arrows are used (one about half distance between end of lane line and beginning of taper, the other right before the taper).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

I think the term we are looking for is "edge extension markings". They are used in many states, particularly the east and south. Alabama is a prolific user of them, if anyone looks around on Google Maps. Florida has a custom variant commonly found on their arterial roads, but not freeways (although they do use British-style markings at option-lane exits).

I do like when they are used at merges, as it reduces the legal ambiguity of who has right-of-way, plus it does seem to result in more drivers using the whole length of the merge area rather than merging right when the markings ends. Though admittedly, I think it's more about driver behavior in one particular area more than the markings. Here in Japan, we use edge extension markings all the time, particularly along expressways (example -- note the complete lack of arrow or merge sign, as the markings themselves mean 'merge over to continue'). In times of heavy traffic, Japanese drivers are prolific about merging as soon as physically possible, but this is more the result of their culture, where lining up is SOP for everything, and forcing your way in is frowned upon (anywhere, not just driving). The only exception are construction zones, where zipper merging is acceptable.

edit: fixed link

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on May 22, 2023, 07:29:58 PM
I think the term we are looking for is "edge extension markings". They are used in many states, particularly the east and south. Alabama is a prolific user of them, if anyone looks around on Google Maps. Florida has a custom variant commonly found on their arterial roads, but not freeways (although they do use British-style markings at option-lane exits).

I do like when they are used at merges, as it reduces the legal ambiguity of who has right-of-way, plus it does seem to result in more drivers using the whole length of the merge area rather than merging right when the markings ends. Though admittedly, I think it's more about driver behavior in one particular area more than the markings. Here in Japan, we use edge extension markings all the time, particularly along expressways (example -- note the complete lack of arrow or merge sign, as the markings themselves mean 'merge over to continue'). In times of heavy traffic, Japanese drivers are prolific about merging as soon as physically possible, but this is more the result of their culture, where lining up is SOP for everything, and forcing your way in is frowned upon (anywhere, not just driving). The only exception are construction zones, where zipper merging is acceptable.

Your "British-style" link just points to the letter 'v'...

I think I would be more accepting of the edge line extensions across the merge area if they used a different line marking style than the pattern that is also used for auxiliary/drop lanes. Your Japanese example is a pretty clear distinction.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on May 23, 2023, 12:04:19 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 22, 2023, 07:29:58 PM

Your "British-style" link just points to the letter 'v'...

I think I would be more accepting of the edge line extensions across the merge area if they used a different line marking style than the pattern that is also used for auxiliary/drop lanes. Your Japanese example is a pretty clear distinction.

Fixed the link, sorry!

I think a different line marking style would definitely be necessary. British Columbia (probably the rest of Canada too) uses a unique marking, similar to Japan. It basically acts as a separator line between lanes that continue, and lanes that don't; get on the "inside" of the line if you want to continue on the road, stay on the outside if you want to exit. It's the same in Japan, and it's used at exit only lanes too.

CardInLex

Not sure if this counts but it throws me off each time I see it...

Two way left turn lane becomes a right turn lane:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/9ZvMDHyxp9m4NUkd7?g_st=ic

roadfro

Quote from: CardInLex on June 08, 2023, 07:23:25 PM

Need to switch to satellite view on the map to see this. (I was confused at first because the latest Street View from Aug 2021 does not show a TWLTL.)

CardInLex

Quote from: roadfro on June 09, 2023, 10:02:08 AM
Quote from: CardInLex on June 08, 2023, 07:23:25 PM

Need to switch to satellite view on the map to see this. (I was confused at first because the latest Street View from Aug 2021 does not show a TWLTL.)

Sorry for the confusion. Haha. The link opens in satellite view for me. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.