News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2017 Meets

Started by codyg1985, September 30, 2016, 08:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

I am thinking of doing my solar eclipse viewing near Sparta, TN.

Hotels are already getting booked up around Hopkinsville.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

Depending on time of day, I could easily make a day trip out of this.

Echoing something Cody said upthread, I too would love to see some meets west of the Mississippi River. Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas and certain areas of Missouri would be very attractive. And although it's east of the river, the state of Mississippi is another place I'd love to see more of.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

codyg1985

Quote from: hbelkins on October 02, 2016, 04:51:37 PM
Echoing something Cody said upthread, I too would love to see some meets west of the Mississippi River. Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas and certain areas of Missouri would be very attractive. And although it's east of the river, the state of Mississippi is another place I'd love to see more of.

There is enough stuff in the Jackson/Vicksburg area to warrant a meet there. My wife's family is from there, so I have had the chance to explore a bit there.
Cody Goodman

TheHighwayMan3561

I would love to do a Mississippi meet. I found that when I did US 61, MS was the state I wish I had more time in.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on October 02, 2016, 04:51:37 PM
Depending on time of day, I could easily make a day trip out of this.

Eastern Arkansas could be tied into Memphis or SE Missouri

NW Arkansas could be tied to SW Missouri.

Texarkana could be part of an Ark-La-Tex

You could almost spend a day just on AR 7.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

codyg1985

At one point Jeremy talked about a NW Arkansas meet. That would be a good meet to have with all of the construction going on in the area.
Cody Goodman

US71

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 06, 2016, 07:18:18 AM
At one point Jeremy talked about a NW Arkansas meet. That would be a good meet to have with all of the construction going on in the area.
We've not talked about it much lately. I'll have to touch base with him next week and see if he has any ideas.  Future 49 should be 2 lanes from Bentonville to Bella Vista by then.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Dougtone

With new bridge projects completed or under construction, I may host a meet that revisits Portsmouth, NH and dips into the northeastern bits of Massachusetts. We'll see if this holds any water in 2017.

codyg1985

I have updated the first post with a list of meets I have seen mentioned here so far.
Cody Goodman

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 11, 2016, 01:30:38 PM
I have updated the first post with a list of meets I have seen mentioned here so far.

Thanks for doing that! Looks like there's a pretty good list that's been started.
-A.J. from Michigan

froggie

I intend to narrow down a date for a potential Twin Cities (MN) meet in the near future.  Will mostly likely be July...possibly the 1st weekend of August, but more likely mid or late July.  It will depend very heavily on what my wife and I need to do that month at the college.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: froggie on October 12, 2016, 10:26:44 AM
I intend to narrow down a date for a potential Twin Cities (MN) meet in the near future.  Will mostly likely be July...possibly the 1st weekend of August, but more likely mid or late July.  It will depend very heavily on what my wife and I need to do that month at the college.

That's cool. I believe Patrick Lilja was also talking about the possibility of hosting something in the Twin Cities. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

froggie

I intend to coordinate with him and Monte, and probably get their assistance with scouting since I likely won't get a chance to.

hbelkins

It seems to me that the Atlanta area is ripe for another meet, as I hear reports of all sorts of construction going on there. I'm not sure if we have any Atlanta-area members here on this forum or not. Logical choices to host such a meet are Jim Georges (FreewayJim) and Steve Williams (The Georgia Road Geek) but Jim has never really embraced the concept of meets and I don't know if Steve would be willing to do so.

codyg1985

Quote from: hbelkins on October 16, 2016, 06:24:59 PM
It seems to me that the Atlanta area is ripe for another meet, as I hear reports of all sorts of construction going on there. I'm not sure if we have any Atlanta-area members here on this forum or not. Logical choices to host such a meet are Jim Georges (FreewayJim) and Steve Williams (The Georgia Road Geek) but Jim has never really embraced the concept of meets and I don't know if Steve would be willing to do so.

I wished we could recruit someone to host a meet there. I would be willing to if I was more familiar with the area.
Cody Goodman

vdeane

An Atlanta meet could be interesting.  While I just went through there a week ago, since it's closer than Birmingham I could still do a trip there in a reasonable amount of time mostly on new roads.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

Quote from: vdeane on October 17, 2016, 01:12:09 PM
An Atlanta meet could be interesting.  While I just went through there a week ago, since it's closer than Birmingham I could still do a trip there in a reasonable amount of time mostly on new roads.

It would also give me an excuse to go to a game at the new Braves stadium (Suntrust Park) that opens next year.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

I think there have been two Atlanta meets. I missed the first one, which happened around 2004 or 2005, I believe. However, I went to the one in 2008. I don't remember who hosted it.

froggie

IIRC, it was Adam Prince.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on October 18, 2016, 03:11:23 PM

I thought he was heavily involved, but wasn't sure.

hbelkins

I threw the idea of an Atlanta meet out there on the Peach State Roads Facebook group. Maybe someone there will take the idea and run with it.

CanesFan27

Quote from: hbelkins on October 18, 2016, 04:58:24 PM
Quote from: froggie on October 18, 2016, 03:11:23 PM

I thought he was heavily involved, but wasn't sure.

Correct - both were tied to hockey games. We also did an informal dinner in 2009 when a group of us went down for a hockey game.

noelbotevera

I did throw out an idea for a Boston meet on another thread. A lot of interest is in for it, since the last one was 12 years ago. I'm not sure if it's still definite, but it's probable because a couple of people on the forum live in the area.

dvferyance

I am now thinking about doing on in Milwaukee this year if there is at least some interest.

TheHighwayMan3561

I like that there could be four meets in the Western Great Lakes region next year.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.