News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2017 Southeast Adirondacks Meet - July 8

Started by cl94, October 02, 2016, 10:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Possible Glens Falls/Lake George meet date?

June 24
5 (45.5%)
July 8
11 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on January 23, 2017, 02:08:03 PM
Looks like the response for July 8 was overwhelming. Combining that with the June date being HS graduation weekend, I will set a firm date of July 8. Lunch will be 11-11:30 at a restaurant on/just north of NY 254 (likely Harvest Restaurant, but possibly Pizzeria Uno or Applebee's if they aren't willing to take a reservation) with carpool parking likely at the Hannaford at the intersection of NY 254 and Warren CR 7. I'll make a Facebook event and post to the NE Roads Facebook group this week.
Considering how close to Glens Falls you're starting, I'd suggest that there are many great restaurants in that town that you should look into before going to a chain. Brew pubs (as long as they allow under 21) can be a popular lunch choice.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on January 23, 2017, 08:32:34 PM
Looks like the response for July 8 was overwhelming. Combining that with the June date being HS graduation weekend, I will set a firm date of July 8. Lunch will be 11-11:30 at a restaurant on/just north of NY 254 (likely Harvest Restaurant, but possibly Pizzeria Uno or Applebee's if they aren't willing to take a reservation) with carpool parking likely at the Hannaford at the intersection of NY 254 and Warren CR 7. I'll make a Facebook event and post to the NE Roads Facebook group this week.
Considering how close to Glens Falls you're starting, I'd suggest that there are many great restaurants in that town that you should look into before going to a chain. Brew pubs (as long as they allow under 21) can be a popular lunch choice.

Duh. Then I've got a better idea: Cooper's Cave Ale Company. Unlike the other brewpub in Glens Falls, they don't have cheesy policies to get around paying minimum wage. Better food and parking as well. I know they take reservations.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cl94

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Alps

This is now the designated cool meet of 2017 that everyone should travel to. See you there, Michiganders and Tennesseeans*!

* Pooing is allowed in NY.

cl94

I plan to have a draft (unscouted) set of meet notes up on Dropbox by the end of the month. This way, if there's anything in particular people wanted to see that isn't on the route, we have a chance of adding it.

jpi

Quote from: Alps on February 12, 2017, 10:22:42 PM
This is now the designated cool meet of 2017 that everyone should travel to. See you there, Michiganders and Tennesseeans*!

Unfortunetly, this Tennessean and his wife will have to skip this one at this time since we are planning on going out west just a couple weeks after this date.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alps

Quote from: jpi on February 13, 2017, 05:18:28 PM
Quote from: Alps on February 12, 2017, 10:22:42 PM

Unfortunetly, this Tennessean and his wife will have to skip this one at this time since we are planning on going out west just a couple weeks after this date.
That's a shame. Good luck with the pooing.

codyg1985

Any date settled for this meet? Poll is leaning towards July 8th.

I think in my thread I put July 8th.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

cl94

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 14, 2017, 08:48:33 AM
Any date settled for this meet? Poll is leaning towards July 8th.

I think in my thread I put July 8th.

July 8 is official at this point.

cl94

I'm going to say this now and I'll repeat it later: if you want a hotel in Queensbury/Glens Falls/Lake George, the time to reserve is now. Stuff for summer weekends fills up fast.

That being said, I strongly recommend staying in Albany, Clifton Park or Malta. A lot cheaper, more food options, probably closer to where you live, closer to the pre-meet (which will feature a gold mine of covered bridges and old signs) and you'll be able to get a room whenever up to the day of the meet.

Dougtone

Quote from: cl94 on January 23, 2017, 08:39:31 PM
Quote from: Alps on January 23, 2017, 08:32:34 PM

Duh. Then I've got a better idea: Cooper's Cave Ale Company. Unlike the other brewpub in Glens Falls, they don't have cheesy policies to get around paying minimum wage. Better food and parking as well. I know they take reservations.

I can vouch that Cooper's Cave is a great choice. I've been there before and quite enjoyed their happy hour selection.

cl94

DRAFT meet notes here. I'm thinking of adding about 20 minutes in there for some more sights and there will be much more background info. Let me know what you think.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-lG3Wh9faM8NzdzMUtxYW1IYTg/view?usp=sharing

froggie

cl94

Quote from: froggie on February 28, 2017, 10:24:14 PM
Maps would be useful.

I was planning to throw those in the next version. Wanted to get an outline out for comment.

froggie

It would be much easier to visualize your outline for comment with some maps, especially for those not immediately familiar with the area.

codyg1985

I would put commentary/information about the Coopers Cave Bridge and other attractions in a separate place in the itinerary. I am trying to think of how to handle that for my Jackson meet (right now I just have an itinerary).

Are you adding information on Leg 3 of the main tour later?

Speaking of legs, I would renumber the ones as part of the main meet starting at Leg 7 instead of going back to Leg 1. I could see it being confusing having duplicate numbers for legs.

Also, as froggie suggested, maps would be good, too.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

cl94

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll incorporate them. I'm definitely adding more info later, but again, just wanted to outline the thing.

cl94

A car show was just announced for the day of the meet in Lake George. For this reason, the meet route will be rerouted and we will not be seeing the recent reconstruction in Lake George. I have a couple of other things planned that should keep the tour just as interesting.

hbelkins

Do we have a definite gathering point or lunch location yet? Since I can't go to Mississippi this weekend, I'm looking to possibly pencil this one in as a replacement. I'd like to start planning a route (including the suggestions I got for getting into and out of Suffolk and Nassau counties as painlessly as possible) and accommodations in case I do go.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on May 09, 2017, 02:34:22 PM
Do we have a definite gathering point or lunch location yet? Since I can't go to Mississippi this weekend, I'm looking to possibly pencil this one in as a replacement. I'd like to start planning a route (including the suggestions I got for getting into and out of Suffolk and Nassau counties as painlessly as possible) and accommodations in case I do go.

Yes. Cooper's Cave Ale Company, 2 Sagamore St, Glens Falls.

tckma

Quote from: hbelkins on May 09, 2017, 02:34:22 PM

The majority of my family lives in Suffolk County; my parents are the oddballs in Nassau... as I hate Lawn Guyland and decided to move elsewhere for better job opportunities, I've been forced to find creative ways to get onto and off of the Island without incurring lots of tolls or lots of traffic.  (It seems that you can pick one or the other -- less tolls or less traffic -- but not both).

Your best option, though I won't say it's at all painless (or cheap!  Bring LOTS of toll money), when coming up from Kentucky, is to take the NJ Turnpike to exit 10, then take NJ440/NY440 over the Outerbridge crossing, then cross Staten Island on I-278, cross the Verrazano bridge, then take the Belt Parkway around to the Southern State or Northern State.  That goes for either direction, heading onto, or off of, Lawn Guyland.

If you have the time and the inclination after the meet to go around the long way, I'd suggest going through Connecticut and crossing the Long Island Sound on one of the ferries.  When I lived in Massachusetts, I would endeavour to take the Cross-Sound Ferry from New London to Orient Point and the end of NY-25.  You can even go around NYC entirely if you choose to do this -- probably a good idea.  But the CSF requires you to make reservations and purchase tickets in advance.  When I last did this, at least 10 years ago, a round-trip ticket on the ferry for car and driver cost $70.  The ferry ride takes between 90 minutes to 2 hours, if I remember correctly.  I never took the Bridgeport ferry as it didn't seem to avoid high-traffic areas for me.

74/171FAN

I still have this marked as tentative, but right now I doubt I will be coming to this one.  I will be heading to Schroon Lake next month anyway for a church retreat.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: tckma on May 10, 2017, 03:29:10 PM
Your best option, though I won't say it's at all painless (or cheap!  Bring LOTS of toll money), when coming up from Kentucky, is to take the NJ Turnpike to exit 10, then take NJ440/NY440 over the Outerbridge crossing, then cross Staten Island on I-278, cross the Verrazano bridge, then take the Belt Parkway around to the Southern State or Northern State.  That goes for either direction, heading onto, or off of, Lawn Guyland.

This would be a Sunday afternoon, returning home endeavor, coming down the Taconic from the Albany area. I'll have my E-ZPass mounted and ready, and judging from the feedback I got when I queried the forum about this earlier, my best bet for getting out of the island and out of the metro is to make my way to the GW Bridge, probably accessing it from the Deegan to avoid as much of the Cross-Bronx as possible.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

Best of luck and safe travels H.B.  :D I clinched Suffolk and Nassau counties at the end of the NYC meet nearly 3 years ago, I drove back on a Monday evening right after peak out bound rush hour. I stayed in L.I. Sunday night, did some sight seeing during the morning and afternoon, then by 7pm after dinner at a nice diner (forget the name) I left West Islip, took the southern state PKWY to Southern Belt PKY to I-278 to NJTPK North to I-78 west to my stay in Harrisburg that night, it took me about 4 hours to get to Harrisburg with minimal stop and go traffic and 1 stop for fuel\ stretch, just heavy but steady moving traffic and "hammered down" once I was on I-78 west. And yes make sure your EZPass account is loaded up.  ;-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

cl94

Definitely make sure your account is loaded up, because all of the New York agencies discriminate and you'll be stuck paying the ridiculous cash rates. Alongside the Northway, the Taconic is probably the best long stretch of limited-access highway in the northeast. The views are breathtaking and the landscape architects did a wonderful job. Just watch out for deer.

If coming from the meet, I'd recommend the following route if you're taking the Taconic down. Avoids some of the choke points and the designated 53 foot truck route:
- Taconic/Sprain/Bronx River Parkways to Cross County Parkway
- Cross County to Hutchison Parkway South
- Hutch/I-678 south across the Whitestone Bridge to Cross Island Parkway
- Cross Island Parkway to Grand Central Parkway east.

From there, really depends on how far you want to get into Suffolk. I'd say take either NY 110 or the Sagtikos Parkway down to the Southern State and head back east on that, unless you want to head out to the Hamptons (STRONGLY discouraged that weekend). As far as crossing the Hudson, the Verrazano is by far the easiest if coming from the Island and heading southwest (take the Belt around the south side of Brooklyn), but you'll shell out an additional $8.50 in tolls. Would allow you to check out the Goethals or Bayonne construction and the new bridges along the Belt. If you want to cross at the GW, I'd strongly suggest accessing it from Harlem River Drive instead of the Deegan (which is what we typically do if taking the GW). Don't have to deal with the merge on the Hamilton Bridge or the slow trucks. Get to HRD via the Triboro Bridge, Queensboro Bridge or Midtown Tunnel.

I probably don't need to mention this, but we cannot say it enough: make sure you don't have commercial plates if you're taking any parkways. They don't care if you go 20 over, but one commercial plate or anything that looks commercial in your vehicle and the cops will be all over you. A family member was pulled over a couple decades ago for having a box of catalogs in the car.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.