News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Carpenters Bluff Bridge

Started by rte66man, October 10, 2016, 08:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rte66man

I had the rare chance to drive from OKC to Dallas solo, which meant MANY side trips to see road-related things.  One on my bucket list is the Carpenter's Bluff bridge across the Red River near Hendrix, OK. 

It is a county bridge that is being replaced by a modern bridge.

The following are proceeding north to south:

DSC_0037 by rte66man, on Flickr

I do not know what the plans are for the existing bridge.  I would hope they barricade it but leave enough room for bikes and pedestrians.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Road Hog

The old bridge will remain as a pedestrian bridge

Scott5114

If you like that bridge, you should check out the bridge between Wanette and Byars (Pottawatomie and McClain Co.) if you haven't already.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US 81

Quote from: Road Hog on October 10, 2016, 11:41:38 PM
The old bridge will remain as a pedestrian bridge

Happy to hear that!

compdude787

Did it used to also have a railroad?

Bobby5280

That bridge sure looks like it was originally built to hold a railroad track and trains. I can't imagine a bridge like that being built purposefully for cars yet only be wide enough for one single lane.

rte66man

Quote from: Bobby5280 on October 12, 2016, 12:24:29 AM
That bridge sure looks like it was originally built to hold a railroad track and trains. I can't imagine a bridge like that being built purposefully for cars yet only be wide enough for one single lane.

Go and reread the original post.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.