News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

"Crosswalk regions" proposal

Started by hotdogPi, October 29, 2016, 11:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

My proposal: Have certain sections of road (1/4 mile, 1 mile, or any other amount) all be a crosswalk. The way it would work, any pedestrian clearly intending to cross the street within the region would be considered to be in a crosswalk.

This would be used where there are a few, but not very many, pedestrians trying to cross, and the average time to wait for a gap in traffic without a crosswalk is over 30 seconds. If there are too many pedestrians, it would slow traffic down too much. One lane in each direction preferable.

This image below is a place where it would make sense to have one of these "crosswalk regions".

Location: MA 110 in Methuen, east of Lawrence, facing west (actually south)
Speed limit of segment shown in image: 40 (decreases to 35 about 1000 feet ahead)
Closest traffic lights: 0.4 miles behind and 1 mile ahead
Crosswalks within 0.3 miles in either direction: 6 (average 500 feet between crosswalks, but not regularly spaced)
Businesses within 0.2 miles of image: Dunkin' Donuts, bakery, gelato store, Chinese/Japanese restaurant, 2 convenience stores, 4 pizza restaurants, local bank, liquor store, 2 car repair places, pet grooming place, laundromat, and more (almost entirely local businesses; also, no gas stations)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1 on October 29, 2016, 12:55:59 PM
I'm not trying to decrease the speed limit.

But other than that, you're basically proposing a shared zone right?

If we were to implement this, I would highly suggest eliminating a curb, so that it's clear to drivers that pedestrians can cross at any point. Also a change in pavement style (preferably pavers).

vdeane

Sounds similar to something my coworker one thought of - sign pedestrian crossings similar to deer crossings, with the pedestrian symbol sign and the "next X miles" plaque.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Sounds like most residential/development streets. Kids could be playing in the street, shooting basketballs, etc.

Ace10

Quote from: vdeane on October 29, 2016, 03:47:15 PM
Sounds similar to something my coworker one thought of - sign pedestrian crossings similar to deer crossings, with the pedestrian symbol sign and the "next X miles" plaque.

I've noticed a few signs in Oregon, mostly in rural-but-small-townish places that have a ped sign and something akin to "Next 1/2 mile" or something like that below them. I'm not sure if this legally creates a "shared zone" like what's been mentioned upthread, as I believe peds must yield to vehicles outside of crosswalks in Oregon (ORS 814.040), but there are certainly long sections of roadway without intersections or marked crosswalks with lots of traffic and it would be impractical to expect a pedestrian to want to walk all the way to a crosswalk (marked or unmarked) in order to legally cross where vehicles are required to yield.

I think the even bigger issue is that vehicles don't yield at unmarked crosswalks where peds are standing on the streetcorner waiting to cross. Granted the ped, at least in Oregon, must enter the intersection with some part or extension of their body in order to invoke their right to cross, but still, I constantly see vehicles drive right by peds waiting to cross, and it seems I'm the only one who 'gets it' and stops to allow them to cross. I'm also a bit brazen and stick my hand out into the crosswalk in order to signal vehicles to stop, and I seem to be the only one who does this; my boyfriend is scared I'll be so assertive I'll be hit by a car, but otherwise, no one would stop to let us cross!

kalvado

I have an impression that most american pedestrians don't think twice about location of crosswalk. In particular, in NY jaywalking is legal and the only requirement (often ignored) is not to step too close in front of vehicle moving too fast to stop in time. I am afraid that legalizing such practice in certain spots would quickly evolve to "pedestrian has right of way everywhere, including interstate, and if you have to crush to avoid crasswalker - do so".
I heard that some places actually enforce jaywalking laws. Maybe that is where such designation would be needed.

vdeane

I have heard the opposite.  In fact, police have been handing out tickets to jaywalkers along Central Avenue recently, and NYC does enforce it too.  That said, NYC DID recently change the law to grant right of way to pedestrians entering in the "don't walk" phase (not legal in the rest of the state), which is practice is nearly the same thing within a marked crosswalk.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on October 30, 2016, 12:44:30 PM
I have heard the opposite.  In fact, police have been handing out tickets to jaywalkers along Central Avenue recently, and NYC does enforce it too.  That said, NYC DID recently change the law to grant right of way to pedestrians entering in the "don't walk" phase (not legal in the rest of the state), which is practice is nearly the same thing within a marked crosswalk.
Central may be a very special case after all the noise Tim O'Brien made about it. Even then, I don't understand what exactly is the legal basis for ticket.
In general, NYS V&T law says
QuoteS 1152. Crossing at other than crosswalks.  (a) Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right of way to all vehicles upon the roadway.
So jaywalking ticket should be failure to yield one? Since

QuoteS 1151. Pedestrians` right of way in crosswalks.  (a) ....
  (b) No pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impractical for the driver to yield.
but at the same time
QuoteS 1146. Drivers   to   exercise  due  care.  (a)  Notwithstanding  the   provisions of any other law to the contrary, every driver of  a  vehicle   shall   exercise  due  care  to  avoid  colliding  with  any  bicyclist,   pedestrian, or domestic animal upon any roadway and shall  give  warning  by  sounding  the horn when necessary.
The way I read it, if pedestrian violates the law - driver is guilty until proven innocent.

So no reason not to jaywalk until cop is watching directly at you...

Rothman

I have heard the opposite.  In fact, police have been handing out tickets to jaywalkers along Central Avenue recently...

Where'd you hear this?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Brian556

The long crosswalks in front of big box stores (within the parking lot) basically function like this. Target uses diagonal stripes, but or Walmart uses decorative fake stone and no curbs or ramps; the sidewalk is level with the road.

Problems to occur, esp around Christmas, when there is so much pedestrian traffic that they don't give cars a fair opportunity to cross the crosswalk, and traffic backs up into the street as a result.

This is why I say rather than giving peds the exclusive right of way, crosswalks should function as an all way yield.

This crosswalk region idea is a bad one, but would be more viable with the change that I suggest above.

vdeane

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on November 07, 2016, 07:01:32 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 07, 2016, 01:22:57 PM
I have heard the opposite.  In fact, police have been handing out tickets to jaywalkers along Central Avenue recently...

Where'd you hear this?
http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Police-step-up-Central-Avenue-traffic-enforcement-8334739.php

Oh brother.  I sort of understand the madness around Colonie Center, where pedestrians rush across Central to get to the inbound BusPlus stop or at New Karner, where you have pedestrians that cross literally twenty feet from the crosswalk instead of taking the crosswalk.

Still, the further west you get, the worse it gets for pedestrians.  Very few crosswalks; can understand those that just head across.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.