News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Left on Red Scenarios

Started by coatimundi, November 25, 2016, 11:38:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on December 06, 2016, 09:54:13 PM
Many of us don't trust red light cameras.  If you're in an area with them, you need to drive lower than the speed limit to make sure a short yellow doesn't cause you to run the light, and you need to avoid making a right on red or turning on a green arrow, just in case (people really did get ticketed for the latter around here).

As for less restrictive state... cops have computers in their cars.  I could see something along the lines of the motorist getting pulled over, driver saying it's legal in their state, cop looking it up, and then the traffic stop ending.

A cop is not going to take the time to look up other states laws.  And it doesn't matter anyway.  A law in one state doesn't transfer over to other states.  A cracked windshield is a safety issue, for example.  What if the windshield was cracked in the more-restrictive state to begin with...just because the vehicle is registered in another state then doesn't have anything to do with the issue, because the issue didn't occur in that less-restrictive state.

In terms of turning left on red, it's prohibited in NJ.  But someone from PA can't argue that they should be allowed to do it because it's allowed in their state.

Speaking of red light cameras...NJ is coming up on 2 years since their program ended.  A report was supposed to be issued on their effectiveness.  That report still hasn't come.  The intersections I'm familiar with have had all their equipment removed, so I think the red light camera companies are resigned to the fact that the program seems to be dead for good in this state. It was a PITA when people refused to turn right on red because of those things.

cl94

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 09, 2016, 08:59:40 AM
Many of us don't trust red light cameras.  If you're in an area with them, you need to drive lower than the speed limit to make sure a short yellow doesn't cause you to run the light, and you need to avoid making a right on red or turning on a green arrow, just in case (people really did get ticketed for the latter around here).

As for less restrictive state... cops have computers in their cars.  I could see something along the lines of the motorist getting pulled over, driver saying it's legal in their state, cop looking it up, and then the traffic stop ending.

A cop is not going to take the time to look up other states laws.  And it doesn't matter anyway.  A law in one state doesn't transfer over to other states.  A cracked windshield is a safety issue, for example.  What if the windshield was cracked in the more-restrictive state to begin with...just because the vehicle is registered in another state then doesn't have anything to do with the issue, because the issue didn't occur in that less-restrictive state.

In terms of turning left on red, it's prohibited in NJ.  But someone from PA can't argue that they should be allowed to do it because it's allowed in their state.

Speaking of red light cameras...NJ is coming up on 2 years since their program ended.  A report was supposed to be issued on their effectiveness.  That report still hasn't come.  The intersections I'm familiar with have had all their equipment removed, so I think the red light camera companies are resigned to the fact that the program seems to be dead for good in this state. It was a PITA when people refused to turn right on red because of those things.

You can't argue that you should be allowed to do it, but you can explain to the cop that it's legal where you're from in an attempt to get out of the ticket. Something to the effect of "I didn't know it was illegal here, it is legal in "_____" where I live. My apologies."
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cl94 on December 09, 2016, 11:57:03 AM

You can't argue that you should be allowed to do it, but you can explain to the cop that it's legal where you're from in an attempt to get out of the ticket. Something to the effect of "I didn't know it was illegal here, it is legal in "_____" where I live. My apologies."

And as long as the person isn't a dick to the cop about it, hopefully it goes in their favor!!

vdeane

For things like left on red, I was envisioning the federal government forcing the states to have uniform laws.  The "less restrictive of the two" would apply only to things like the cracked windshield and driver's licences.  As for police not wanting to look up laws, they have computers in their cars, it wouldn't take long, they probably spend more time in the stop looking for an excuse to search your car for drugs.  Also, DC already does look up other state's laws so they can enforce them in the district; if your state does annual inspections and it's expired, DC will give you a ticket.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

slorydn1

Quote from: vdeane on December 09, 2016, 07:58:28 PM

For things like left on red, I was envisioning the federal government forcing the states to have uniform laws.  The "less restrictive of the two" would apply only to things like the cracked windshield and driver's licences.  As for police not wanting to look up laws, they have computers in their cars, it wouldn't take long, they probably spend more time in the stop looking for an excuse to search your car for drugs.  Also, DC already does look up other state's laws so they can enforce them in the district; if your state does annual inspections and it's expired, DC will give you a ticket.

Not all departments have their MDT's enabled for full Internet access. Some because of $$$ and some because of security concerns. Our agency does have internet capability but the deputy would have to completely log out of his Mobile Cad and VPN to get on the internet and then close the internet and then log back in to the terminal for normal operation again. A PITA they just aren't going to do unless they really have too. Besides, it's really up to the individual to know the law and comply with it, not for the state to bend over because someone from another state didn't know.

That said most cops that I know aren't going to mess with someone over a cracked windshield or loud exhaust, for example, unless the windshield was so badly damaged that the drivers vision would be significantly impaired or the exhaust so loud that it belongs on the race track. Note: I did add the qualifier "that I know. I am aware some of you live in places where things like this are a really big deal and you get stopped for it all the time.

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

M3019C LPS20

In the Broad Channel neighborhood of Queens, New York, you are able to make a left turn on red at certain intersections on Cross Bay Blvd. A fairly quiet area with not much traffic throughout most of the year, so it sounds logical for the NYCDOT to allow it in certain areas, like here.

There are a handful of other spots elsewhere in the city where you're permitted to do so, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on December 09, 2016, 07:58:28 PM

For things like left on red, I was envisioning the federal government forcing the states to have uniform laws.

The downside is that the uniform laws could be the most restrictive of the possibilities.  Remember...the basic rule is Red = Stop.  The exceptions, in 50 states, are that vehicles may turn right on red after a full stop.  In 45 states, vehicles may turn left after a full stop.  The federal government could say the uniform law goes back to the basic law: All traffic must stop and stay stopped on red, meaning that everyone loses the turning on red privileges.

vdeane

I was envisioning the uniform laws would be the most common ones and as specified in the MUTCD... left on red legal from a one-way to a one-way, right on red permitted, turn on red arrow prohibited, etc.

I would have thought that the basic rule was "right turn on red permitted after stop", with only NYC and Montréal contradicting, but then, I was born long after it became the law of the land, so the idea that it would be prohibited is very strange to me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on December 11, 2016, 06:20:21 PM
I was envisioning the uniform laws would be the most common ones and as specified in the MUTCD... left on red legal from a one-way to a one-way, right on red permitted, turn on red arrow prohibited, etc.

I would have thought that the basic rule was "right turn on red permitted after stop", with only NYC and Montréal contradicting, but then, I was born long after it became the law of the land, so the idea that it would be prohibited is very strange to me.

If anyone wanted to feel old, any new teenage drivers today weren't even alive during the NMSL days, and have no clue as to the significance and hatred of 55 mph speed limits.

DrSmith

Instance in Cambridge MA where it is signed for No Left Turn on Red (between two one way streets). Only prohibited when signed in Mass

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3729216,-71.1180533,3a,75y,29.82h,84.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7gxF-MIBvSQS0t_xFJpAXg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.