The real message of a gift card: I did the very least

Started by ZLoth, November 27, 2016, 08:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

Opinion article from Marketwatch:

The real message of a gift card: I did the very least
Before Election Day, some 43% of Americans said they were being more cautious about their spending this year due to the uncertainty of the political scene.

Yet those same cautious consumers told the National Retail Federation they were ready to spend this holiday season. On average, they said they planned to spend $935.58, well above the just over $800 they had planned to spend a year ago. Moreover, it's only slightly below the record level for actual spending, which the NRF measured a year ago as $952.58.

A lot of that money will be spent on gift cards – because people care enough to do their very least.

This mix of excessive spending and the declining thought put into gifts suggest that the entire gift-giving exercise is due for an overhaul.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

I don't know about you, but I'll get more use out of a $10 Amazon gift card than a $10 useless bauble that ends up in the regifting box.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

jeffandnicole

How ironic for the opinion writer to write an opinion basically shouting us down for buying gift cards:

QuoteIn times like these, exemplified by people shouting down everyone – even purported friends – who holds any belief that doesn't conform to their own, we all benefit from increased communication and thoughtfulness; gift cards typically fail at that.

Going thru his opinion, he never seemed to say how real gifts are better...and kinda actually promoted gift cards!

formulanone

For some cultures/families, it's okay to give money, for others...it's seen as a bit rude: A gift card kind of bridges that gap. It's easy to bemoan gift-giving obligations; but then again, it's nice to be part of the exchange in the first place.

There's lots of people who have it all; at least, it seems that way. Or they give few intentions of what they like...there's some people who are more apt to declaring their favorite store(s) than their favorite things. I guess it also depends on the gift card store - as much as I like my favorite grocery store, I'd rather give or receive those for a place that deals primarily in durable goods. But there's some people who are happy with that, because they're less interested in gadgets and toys.

tl;dr I like gift cards, but there's a few people who I'd rather just buy gifts for, a few that just get gift cards, and some that get both.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: formulanone on November 27, 2016, 09:49:30 AM
For some cultures/families, it's okay to give money, for others...it's seen as a bit rude: A gift card kind of bridges that gap. It's easy to bemoan gift-giving obligations; but then again, it's nice to be part of the exchange in the first place.

There's lots of people who have it all; at least, it seems that way. Or they give few intentions of what they like...there's some people who are more apt to declaring their favorite store(s) than their favorite things. I guess it also depends on the gift card store - as much as I like my favorite grocery store, I'd rather give or receive those for a place that deals primarily in durable goods. But there's some people who are happy with that, because they're less interested in gadgets and toys.

tl;dr I like gift cards, but there's a few people who I'd rather just buy gifts for, a few that just get gift cards, and some that get both.

And for the likes of restaurants and such, it's kinda hard to give a steak and fries as a gift. 

wxfree

I've always hated gift cards.  They're as thoughtless as cash, and less useful because they can be used only at a certain place (unless it's one of those pre-loaded credit card types).  More generally, I think that gift cards are the natural product of a society that makes the act of giving into a duty rather than a joy or an expression of love.  I'll give something, or appreciate getting something, if it has special meaning.  If a gift is nothing more than an expression of "'tis the season for shopping" then I'd rather be left out of that tradition.

I'll agree that a gift card is probably better than some useless trinket, but to me it represents the pinnacle of ways of making gift-giving into a burden devoid of heart or meaning.  I'd rather not have the gift card or the trinket.  I'd rather receive something that you know I'll love, regardless of what time of year it might be, or however infrequently it might happen.  I look at it as a matter of supply and demand.  If the supply of gifts is large, just because it's the season for it, then each one means very little.  It's when the supply is small that a thing has more value.  Waiting for the right time, or for when you find the right item, is vastly more meaningful than stuffing a stocking (or a gift card balance) just because the calendar says it's time to.  To me, the gift card represents everything that's wrong with meaningless gift-giving.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

hotdogPi

I have received a $25 iTunes gift card and a $30 Amazon gift card (neither one for Christmas). I have not used either one yet, and I am not interested in using them.

One advantage of gift cards for restaurants is that a $25 gift card is actually worth $25 + tax. The disadvantage is that the person might not like the restaurant, or there may not be any in the area.

Quote from: wxfree on November 27, 2016, 10:45:21 AM
I've always hated gift cards.  They're as thoughtless as cash, and less useful because they can be used only at a certain place (unless it's one of those pre-loaded credit card types).

Preloaded credit card type gift cards have fees, unfortunately.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

wanderer2575

We host Christmukah dinner for my wife's family every year.  My efforts to stop the gift exchanges have thus far been in vain.  Occasionally there's an actual physical gift there but usually it's all gift cards.  The idea of everybody flinging money at each other is asinine.

Restaurants and stores loves them, of course, because it's a much easier purchase for the gift-giver than putting some thought into it and trying to pick an actual item he/she hopes the recipient will like.  And it's a way to hook someone who otherwise would have never set foot in the store.  And there's some money to be had from the slippage (gift cards purchased but never redeemed), although really that's not something the merchant can count on.

Quote from: wxfree on November 27, 2016, 10:45:21 AM
If a gift is nothing more than an expression of "'tis the season for shopping" then I'd rather be left out of that tradition.

Seconded!

hbelkins

Quote from: 1 on November 27, 2016, 10:51:01 AM
I have received a $25 iTunes gift card and a $30 Amazon gift card (neither one for Christmas). I have not used either one yet, and I am not interested in using them.

Well, I will gladly take them off your hands. PM me and I will give you my mailing address so you can send them to me.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

I'd rather have gift cards than the crap some folks think is good to give.  I don't need another wallet.  I also don't need some sort of cheap grooming kit because you found it on the dollar rack.  I don't want the T-shirt that's not in my size (because you never even asked, as assumed), and isn't something I really like.  No, please don't give me the Made In China shower radio that I have no use for.  I don't really want the other stuff from the dollar rack because you think getting more gifts is more important than getting good gifts.  I'd rather have the gift card to a place I like, such as Barnes & Noble, instead.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

GaryV

One advantage of gift cards for restaurants is that a $25 gift card is actually worth $25 + tax.
How so?  Using a gift card to pay for the meal doesn't lower the value of goods sold.  It's just an alternate way of paying for it.  The tax would be the same as if you paid with cash, check or credit card.

vdeane

I don't have an issue with gift cards.  I'd get a gift card for JC Penney rather than actual clothing (due to tactile sensitivities, the oddness of women's sizes, and the fact that my body doesn't seem to be built for a lot of things, I NEED to try things on and won't even shop for clothing online unless I have no choice).  It's also hard to put kindle books or MP3s in a box and wrap them and much easier to just give an Amazon gift card.

In my family, we all just decided we had too much stuff, and now just give each other $35 gift cards in a secret Santa style system.  It works well - often my cousins and I don't have much else that we're asking for anyways.  It's not even that easy to put together a Christmas list; when I was a kid, I couldn't buy everything I wanted on my allowance, so things got put on my Christmas list instead.  Now, if I want something, I usually just buy it, so there isn't much left for a Christmas list (which is now mainly stuff I specifically don't buy so I have something to give my parents!).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Jim

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

wanderer2575

Preloaded credit card type gift cards have fees, unfortunately.

Which is the reason that, on the rare occasion I purchase gift cards for others, I don't buy the branded (Visa and MasterCard) preloaded cards.  I'll get cards from Amazon or some such with access to a product line wide enough that everyone can find something for which to redeem the card.  I also read card terms and won't purchase those that will impose monthly "maintenance charges" after a certain period of time, as though they have to feed my account balance or take it out for a walk or something. 

Quote from: vdeane on November 27, 2016, 06:30:36 PM
I don't have an issue with gift cards.  I'd get a gift card for JC Penney rather than actual clothing (due to tactile sensitivities, the oddness of women's sizes, and the fact that my body doesn't seem to be built for a lot of things, I NEED to try things on and won't even shop for clothing online unless I have no choice).  It's also hard to put kindle books or MP3s in a box and wrap them and much easier to just give an Amazon gift card.

In my family, we all just decided we had too much stuff, and now just give each other $35 gift cards in a secret Santa style system.  It works well - often my cousins and I don't have much else that we're asking for anyways.  It's not even that easy to put together a Christmas list; when I was a kid, I couldn't buy everything I wanted on my allowance, so things got put on my Christmas list instead.  Now, if I want something, I usually just buy it, so there isn't much left for a Christmas list (which is now mainly stuff I specifically don't buy so I have something to give my parents!).

I grant you all those points, but what drives me nuts is this:

Quote from: vdeane on November 27, 2016, 06:30:36 PM
In my family, we all just decided we had too much stuff, and now just give each other $35 gift cards in a secret Santa style system. 

If I give you a $35 gift card and you give me a $35 gift card, what's the point?  Why don't we send each other a nice greeting card and each promise we'll buy ourselves a nice $35 something we want, and save the hassle?

Max Rockatansky

Hell my wife gets me gift cards and tells me to go buy a road sign or two, just what wanted.  It's about the only time of year I don't get asked if I have enough signs.  :-D

corco

I think it's really shitty for people to question people's motives for giving or not giving gifts of any kind, myself. 

slorydn1

My kids would rather get money/gift cards than an actual present. Seems I'm just not hip enough to get something they would really like anymore, LOL.

Thinking back, I kinda wish gift cards were around when I was a kid. I think of my poor dad. Here I got an Atari 2600 and he got.....socks.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Pete from Boston

Quote from: ZLoth on November 27, 2016, 08:23:33 AM
I don't know about you, but I'll get more use out of a $10 Amazon gift card than a $10 useless bauble that ends up in the regifting box.

Ideally, there ought to be a third option, something you can really use that someone thought specifically of for you, for $10.

Quote from: corco on November 28, 2016, 12:23:45 AM
I think it's really shitty for people to question people's motives for giving or not giving gifts of any kind, myself.

You are of course entitled to your opinion.  But I'm also entitled to make a fair judgment as to when it's obvious someone is just going through the motions.  I've been through enough office Yankee swaps to earn that.

I have given a gift certificate to someone for a restaurant they have not tried that I think they would like. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, but they got a little adventure out of it. 

I was given a gift certificate for a used record store once. I am still working my way through it, and it is something I really love having because it makes me go down there and pick through old records.  I might even go today.

ZLoth

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 10, 2016, 03:24:18 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on November 27, 2016, 08:23:33 AM

Ideally, there ought to be a third option, something you can really use that someone thought specifically of for you, for $10.

That's kinda impossible with some of the gift exchanges that I attend. "Bring something that costs no more that $10/$15/$20." Last night, I attend a Christmas party with my mother, and I was person number one in the mystery gift exchange. The mystery gift was.... a sports bottle. Was that "stealable"? No, to the point where I didn't even bother trying to encourage someone to steal it. Yet, there was nothing for me that was worth "stealing".  :-/ No, I'm not a drinker, so the two bottles of wine were out. I already have the book on my kindle. Not interested in the chocolate, snow globe, or the weird pen holder.

So, I ask you.... what would you consider giving that is $10 or less that isn't a gift card? The only thing I can think of is a good older movie from the bargain bin (and there is some out there) with a bag or two of popcorn attached. What I would consider exchanging....

* Bluetooth headphones.... there are some decent ones that you can wear that you don't feel silly destroying. Cost: $20 and up
* Ear buds.... starting at $8 and up. But, what would your reaction be to "ear buds"?
* USB battery pack... a iPhone user would appreciate this. Cost: $15 and up
* Ties? Maybe, but I won't exchange ties.
* LED Flashlight? There are some low-end LED flashlights that I have used in the past that someone can leave in their car. I see them for two-for-$10.

What are on your list of suggestions?
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

jeffandnicole

It's tough to choose a perfect gift everyone would find useful. In my family's white elephant exchange I got a Dunkin Donuts coffee thermos a few years back that turned out to be the perfect size for both a cars' cup holder and my Keriug. I used it nearly every day for 2 years till it broke.

We have a $25 limit. We usually give a bottle of alcohol. One year my wife put 25 of the small individual liquor bottles ($1 each) into a tube that was a decent hit.  Sometimes people have little toys or games. I think I found a cheap shredder or a small safe on sale on time I put in. Honestly, most of it isn't rememberable, and usually just hope it's fun. One year my aunt got really upset at the gift she got, to the point she took the gift rather personally even though she randomly picked up the gift from the pile.

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on November 27, 2016, 10:51:01 AMPreloaded credit card type gift cards have fees, unfortunately.
Not all of them.  Some banks offer go/use anywhere gift (usually VISA) cards at no additional charge if one has an account with them.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ET21

I like gift cards, because it's like saving money on big purchases. I got a $50 one and used it on a Xbox one bundle 2 years ago that was already $50 off. So I saved $100 and paid only $300 instead of $400
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

jwolfer

I like giftcards.. I will use it on something i wouldnt normally buy for myself because of cost... Or as others said put it toward a large purchase

My daughter gave me a 40 giftcard for Dicks sporting goods.. Going toward a kayak

LGMS428

NE2

The real message of a clickbait article share: I did the very least
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Duke87

They say it's the thought that counts.

Well, then the important thing to remember is "know thy recipient". There is nothing wrong with a gift card if the person you're giving it to likes getting it. There is something wrong with it if the person you're giving it to doesn't like it.

Like some others here, I dislike receiving silly crap that I have no practical use for as a gift. Honestly it's worse than receiving no gift at all, since it gives me more clutter which I already have too much of, and it builds up my excitement to unwrap a box only to be disappointed by its contents and then have to feign liking them to avoid insulting the giver.

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 27, 2016, 07:06:35 PM
If I give you a $35 gift card and you give me a $35 gift card, what's the point?  Why don't we send each other a nice greeting card and each promise we'll buy ourselves a nice $35 something we want, and save the hassle?

The point is to have the social experience of giving each other something. That, and people tend to get excited at receiving a gift while not thinking nearly as much about what they spent on gifts. Financially, exchanging physical gifts of equal monetary value is just as much of a wash as exchanging gift cards of equal monetary value. But it provides emotional satisfaction, so people feel like they're ahead even though mathematically they aren't. It's a psychological thing. Humans are strange creatures like that.

Also, for people who don't have a lot of money and worry about it, getting a gift card to a specific place that they normally might not want to spend money forces them to treat themselves. And while those of us who think like Dilbert feel like this is worse than cash because we're forced to spend it in a specific place whether or not we want to, the majority of people who are less utilitarian in mindset might not think so - some people actually enjoy being forced to treat themselves.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

Quote from: Duke87 on January 03, 2017, 12:07:51 AM

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 27, 2016, 07:06:35 PM

The point is to have the social experience of giving each other something. That, and people tend to get excited at receiving a gift while not thinking nearly as much about what they spent on gifts. Financially, exchanging physical gifts of equal monetary value is just as much of a wash as exchanging gift cards of equal monetary value. But it provides emotional satisfaction, so people feel like they're ahead even though mathematically they aren't. It's a psychological thing. Humans are strange creatures like that.

A few years ago, my brother and I decided to stop exchanging gifts at Christmas. He said that we're basically trading money, so what's the purpose? Inside, I was happy to hear that because I couldn't afford to buy anything for him and his wife, and the money I would have spent on gifts went to necessities. Of course I'm not into all the social aspects of anything, so it made no difference to me anyway.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.