News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I believe this one family has out roadgeeked us all.

Started by CanesFan27, December 30, 2016, 02:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

noelbotevera

Paywalled, but I think I get the gist.

Also, I can actually get four digit signs. PA's quadrant routes and VA's secondary routes allow me to find a 2018.

hbelkins

The 2016 sign shown in the online story is about 10 miles from where I live. I could also point them to a 2017 sign not far away. There are a lot of 2000-series Kentucky state routes in my area that could do them for several years.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

74/171FAN

Is this all I had to do all these years to get a girlfriend?   :-D 

The video pretty much shows the gist of it as well.

In all seriousness, my cover photo on Facebook has been the US 17 Arthur J Ravenel Bridge over the Cooper River since cover photos became a thing.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 30, 2016, 07:51:04 PM
Is this all I had to do all these years to get a girlfriend?   :-D 

The video pretty much shows the gist of it as well.

In all seriousness, my cover photo on Facebook has been the US 17 Arthur J Ravenel Bridge over the Cooper River since cover photos became a thing.

Mine switches all the time but usually is one of two things; a road sign or a National Park Vista.  I share pretty much all my road content on this site and Facebook, but given my account on there is much old I'm closing in on 1,000 albums with maybe 80% containing that minimally has something road related in it.  Really at first it was just photo back up retention but Facebook now just can't keep up with other forms of media given photo files are so much larger and the site compresses them.  So really now I just have family members and close friends who see probably what appears to be just random crap with roads to them.  I often wonder how odd that appears to an outside observer who is expecting nothing but a jungle of selfies, family pictures, check-ins, motivational memes, open letters, or political rants.

74/171FAN

Well I do get likes from my friends on my profile pics from the road meets I have been to.  I guess it is mainly due to the view in the background more than anything else.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 31, 2016, 09:26:29 AM
Well I do get likes from my friends on my profile pics from the road meets I have been to.  I guess it is mainly due to the view in the background more than anything else.

I generally do also, but I usually pick out at least 3-5 photos for the front of the album which are generally more scenic in nature.  Usually I put my notes like map links, alignment changes, back story, and other in the album description.  So basically if you read the album description and looked at the links in theory it wouldn't be too difficult to follow what I'm looking at.  Personally I think that kind of information is conveyed much easier on a web forum such since you can put comments on something then insert the photos where you want them.  I do the same thing for rail alignments, ghost towns, structures, parks, monuments, or really anything that captures my interest.  Usually I do about two big 2,000-3,000 mile road trips that will yield 30-50 topics each on top of the smaller stuff in-region that I accumulate through the year.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

Quote from: Brandon on December 31, 2016, 06:00:39 PM
These folks aren't related to RV Droz, perchance?

Given the legal issues encountered by him and his father, they might not claim it.

KEVIN_224

The only "17" route near me is CT Route 17 to my east. It runs from Glastonbury (starts at CT Route 2) through Portland and eventually goes towards New Haven.

dgolub

hbelkins

There's a KY 2017 in my county, about 13 miles from where I live. I pass it every day on my way to work. I posted a picture of one of the signs on my Facebook timeline last night.

slorydn1

Damn. This would have been extremely easy for me this year, I have a US-17 sign less than a mile from my house ;). Oh well, LOL.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

bm7

This made me curious if there were any highway 20s that intersect with a 17, and would have a sign that lists them together, in the right order. The only one I found in a few minutes of looking is US 20 and Iowa 17, which overlap for a few miles, which means there are multiple signs that spell out 2017: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4514073,-93.8160497,3a,49.8y,196.51h,85.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9g7mo0rhLnUz9xHiRQaoJg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bm7 on January 02, 2017, 08:17:28 PM
This made me curious if there were any highway 20s that intersect with a 17, and would have a sign that lists them together, in the right order. The only one I found in a few minutes of looking is US 20 and Iowa 17, which overlap for a few miles, which means there are multiple signs that spell out 2017: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4514073,-93.8160497,3a,49.8y,196.51h,85.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9g7mo0rhLnUz9xHiRQaoJg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

FL 20 and US 17 in Palatka.

adventurernumber1

I will say I am impressed. This is a very creative and super cool way to make a New Years card.

While this is slightly unrelated, I have convinced my parents to possibly take our picture for our next Christmas Card at a covered bridge in my area. This will certainly make for a cool card for the holidays.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

hm insulators

I have I-17 just a few miles from me.

Cool idea! Too bad the article was behind a paywall.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.