News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Happy New Year 2017!!!

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, December 31, 2016, 07:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

Like I did last year, I come from the future to greet all of you who are still stuck in the previous year. And this time a leap second has just happened, so it's one second more of wait! I also congratulate Brandon for the first post of the year in the Central Europe Time (my timezone, a.k.a. UTC+1), on the thread "I believe this one family has out roadgeed us all." (Yes, with period included), only 39 seconds into 2017:
Quote from: Brandon on December 31, 2016, 06:00:39 PM
These folks aren't related to RV Droz, perchance?

However 2015 was better, as there was a post in the very first second of the year (again in UTC+1).

PS: This is the very first post in 2017 for english si.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

corco

Mountain Standard Time is the official timezone of this forum.

english si

Quote from: corco on December 31, 2016, 07:18:32 PMMountain Standard Time is the official timezone of this forum.
I thought it was Eastern Standard Time...
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 31, 2016, 07:12:53 PMPS: This is the very first post in 2017 for english si.
Nah, I'm running on Christmas Time at the moment. :P

Time zone are subjective - your post was the first of 2017, and I'm the second person to post this year. Unless, of course, someone else has posted after their calendar has changed.

Guid hogmany tae those fa loove thes kergo-filled (hence wa th' scots loove it - th' drink) mirk fest.

noelbotevera

Two hours, and six minutes for me...hey at least the West Coast people get to savor 2016 more, but now at 12:01 AM I can now say to a person from the west coast that I am from another year.

P.S. My relatives in the Philippines are already in the next year. It's about 10 AM right now in Manila, meaning that my family comes from a farther future.

P.P.S. I'm overthinking this.

I am now from another year. It's 12:05 AM.

1995hoo

I was asleep in a recliner and woke up about ten seconds prior to midnight, just before the TV said "Happy New Year." Ms1995hoo had been supposed to wake me up sooner and didn't and doesn't seem to get why I was annoyed at her.

Off to go sleep for real!  :-D
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

noelbotevera

Fireworks are still going off ten minutes after the celebration. Still though, it's New Years for 112.7 million people in the United States.

Big John

^^ 47 percent of the US population live in ET http://kurtostergaard.com/us-population-by-time-zone/
Total population is 324,310,076 http://www.census.gov/popclock/
Population in ET is approx. 152,425,736

bulldog1979

Traditionally, ever since my uncle, aunt and cousin moved to California in the mid-1980s, we'd call to wish them a Happy New Year after midnight ET, and then comment about our phone calls from different years. I think the tradition started at NYE 1989/90 because of the novelty of talking while in different decades.

sparker

Good f***ing riddance to 2016 for both its toxic political climate (all sides contributed to that) and its proclivity for taking so many of our more valuable artists and entertainers.  Let's all wish for a 2017 with markedly fewer notable fatalities -- as well as our "leaders" taking both a deep breath and one step back to survey the damage done and how to move onward without doing much more! 

epzik8

I'm a bit nervous but mostly excited about how the year will go.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 01, 2017, 12:06:30 AM
I was asleep in a recliner and woke up about ten seconds prior to midnight, just before the TV said "Happy New Year." Ms1995hoo had been supposed to wake me up sooner and didn't and doesn't seem to get why I was annoyed at her.

Off to go sleep for real!  :-D

Then you missed Mariah Carey's wonderful performance tonight!!!

US71

Quote from: sparker on January 01, 2017, 03:44:12 AM
Good f***ing riddance to 2016 for both its toxic political climate (all sides contributed to that) and its proclivity for taking so many of our more valuable artists and entertainers.  Let's all wish for a 2017 with markedly fewer notable fatalities -- as well as our "leaders" taking both a deep breath and one step back to survey the damage done and how to move onward without doing much more! 

When it's time to go, it's time to go. Hela doesn't care who you are, what you've accomplished, or what year it is.

Sadly, most of our leaders are owned by corporate interests and seem more intent on doing their bidding despite what may be right.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

1995hoo

26 years later, the E Street Band still have THE definitive midnight New Year's performance. Usually at midnight I've stuck some speakers outside and I crank this up to annoy the neighbors, but I didn't this year.

ET21

May this year be better than last year
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

adventurernumber1

Quote from: ET21 on January 01, 2017, 09:18:53 PM

That is my hope. 2016, 2015, and the last half of 2014 have been very hard for me. My biggest hope is that 2017 is better. I think it may potentially be. Hopefully it will be a better year for everyone - roadgeeks, celebrities, and everyone else alike.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

corco

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 01, 2017, 09:25:39 PM

That is my hope. 2016, 2015, and the last half of 2014 have been very hard for me. My biggest hope is that 2017 is better. I think it may potentially be. Hopefully it will be a better year for everyone, roadgeeks, celebrities, and everyone else alike.

Are you saying that roadgeeks are not celebrities? Why would you differentiate the two?

adventurernumber1

Quote from: corco on January 01, 2017, 09:31:28 PM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 01, 2017, 09:25:39 PM

That is my hope. 2016, 2015, and the last half of 2014 have been very hard for me. My biggest hope is that 2017 is better. I think it may potentially be. Hopefully it will be a better year for everyone, roadgeeks, celebrities, and everyone else alike.

Are you saying that roadgeeks are not celebrities? Why would you differentiate the two?

Well, perhaps I might be ignorant, but I do not know of any roadgeeks who are celebrities. Certainly does not mean that can't be the case in the future. If any roadgeeks are in fact celebrities, when I said celebrities I was mainly referring to the most notable of them, too many of which died this past year.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

1995hoo

Desert Man

5 days old, 2017 is still a newborn in the world's ancient calendar. May it be a real happy one, everyone. I hope to come back to AAroads.com more often.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.