News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Favorite FHWA Series variant?

Started by Quillz, January 10, 2017, 10:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which variant of the FHWA Series font do you like the most?

A (defunct)
0 (0%)
B
1 (5.3%)
C
3 (15.8%)
D
8 (42.1%)
E
6 (31.6%)
E(m)
1 (5.3%)
F
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Quillz

I actually like Series B a lot, but I think it is rarely applied in such a way that is aesthetically pleasing. I strongly dislike Series F, and have also rarely seen an instance where it was aesthetically acceptable.

Series B and C are my two favorites. I only really like the usage of Series D on interstate shields.

3web

Who knows where the road goes? Of course! Google maps!

SignGeek101

You should have EEM on the vote. I'd probably vote for that.

I used to really prefer the 'E' variant. It is wide and legible. It is also the default font on my computer for websites (I have an app that let's you change fonts on your browser) and on most sites it looks and reads nice. AARoads however I have it set to 'D'.

Now series D has really gained on me. It is still wide enough to be more legible, and is aesthetically pleasing, but it is also not too "bold" looking like 'E' is. I especially like how Georgia used to use 'D' on their freeway signage. Distance signs, other smaller signs and especially shields look nice in 'D'.

I'm not a fan of 'F'. It's too wide to be used nicely pretty much anywhere. Series 'C' is also fine (I like it in 3DI shields, which I know I'm in the minority on). I don't like it though on much of anything else to be honest. Some places here in Canada have a habit of using it in speed limit signs (I'm looking at you Quebec) and I think it's too narrow.

Series 'B' really only should be used for parking signs. I don't like it in shields, BGS's, or much of anything else. Example:

Whoop-Up Drive eastbound approaching Scenic Drive
by Sign Geek, on Flickr

Quillz

Series B and C, I think, work well when they are relatively large elements on narrow signs. For example, if a shield uses 10'' Series D, I might make an equivalent that uses 12'' Series B or C. (I really liked the "limitless" speed limit signs in Oregon that used larger Series C numerals). But with Series F... I just can't find any compromise that provides a nice balance of legibility and aesthetics.

I've actually never heard of EEM before. When did it first start to get used?

Henry

Isn't Series C the same variant that was once used on all of GDOT's signs? I thought that was a cool-looking font.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Pink Jazz

My favorite is probably plain Series E (not E-Modified).

SignGeek101

Quote from: Quillz on January 10, 2017, 11:38:24 PM
I've actually never heard of EEM before. When did it first start to get used?

I don't think it is commonly used by any jurisdiction (as far as I know). EEM is like taking series E and using it at EM kerning. There are subtle differences, but it is more legible (top is EM, bottom is EEM):

Quote from: Henry on January 11, 2017, 10:30:57 AM
Isn't Series C the same variant that was once used on all of GDOT's signs? I thought that was a cool-looking font.

I believe that was series D.

PHLBOS

Quote from: SignGeek101 on January 11, 2017, 10:51:27 AMI don't think it is commonly used by any jurisdiction (as far as I know). EEM is like taking series E and using it at EM kerning. There are subtle differences, but it is more legible (top is EM, bottom is EEM):

IIRC, some older (2000s) NJDOT installs along I-295 use EEM.  When I first saw such (didn't know the type designation back then); I thought that the lettering was more crisp & readable.

Since button-copy isn't coming back anytime soon; the need to use EM is no longer needed.  IMHO, using EEM is the best way to address readability issues associated w/non-button-copy EM without resorting to using a completely different font (Clearview).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Eth

It depends on the application.

For numeric use: D, B, C, E, F (in that order).
For mixed-case text: E (optionally with EM spacing), then EM, then D, with all others to be avoided.
For all-caps text: C, D, E, B, F (in that order).

I guess that would then make D the overall winner.

myosh_tino

Quote from: Eth on January 11, 2017, 01:19:04 PM
It depends on the application.

For numeric use: D, B, C, E, F (in that order).
For mixed-case text: E (optionally with EM spacing), then EM, then D, with all others to be avoided.
For all-caps text: C, D, E, B, F (in that order).

I guess that would then make D the overall winner.

I agree.  Here's my "rankings"...

Numerals: D, E/E(m), all the rest
Mixed Case: E(m), E, D, all the rest
All Caps: E/E(m), D, C, all the rest
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

CtrlAltDel

I like E for mixed-case text (especially with Em spacing). D is okay here, too, although the spacing needs to be adjusted to look right. Em is too thick, and as seen above, I think suffers in legibility. For capital text, though, E is too wide, so I prefer D or C. For numbers, I prefer D, but C is okay. F and B are right out in pretty much every case.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Henry

Quote from: SignGeek101 on January 10, 2017, 11:30:48 PM
Now series D has really gained on me. It is still wide enough to be more legible, and is aesthetically pleasing, but it is also not too "bold" looking like 'E' is. I especially like how Georgia used to use 'D' on their freeway signage. Distance signs, other smaller signs and especially shields look nice in 'D'.
This is what I get for not reading a previous post! GDOT did very well with its unique Series D signs; too bad it didn't spread to other states in this manner.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

machias

Quote from: Henry on January 11, 2017, 10:30:57 AM

The BGSes in Georgia were Series D, with a modified i, j and capital D (sometimes). I thought the Series D BGSes looked great. The Series D is different than the Series D used in some places today, but I saw the Georgia variant used elsewhere in the country (in much smaller applications) as early as 1975.

I've played around with the font over the years.
http://www.upstatenyroads.com/signshop19.shtml

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.