News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cars stranded on Dog Valley Road when Google Maps suggests alternate route to I-

Started by ZLoth, January 14, 2017, 01:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on January 19, 2017, 01:56:13 PM
Yes, Donner Pass is where the Donner Party got stuck.  I-80's route is a little higher than the old trail, but gentler grades.  The pass is the best choice for crossing without going far out of the way to the north (where CA 70 crosses today) or far out of the way to the south (I-40).  What the Donner Party didn't realize is that it can go from a pleasant Indian summer in early October to new storms laying down more feet of snow every few days in mid October.  They thought the storms wouldn't really set in until November, by which point they hoped to be across.

The Donner Party was pretty stretched out in a series of camps and a couple of cabins.  There were several relief parties sent, some of the party were rescued as early as February, but the last survivor wasn't brought to Sutter's Fort until April.

If you're interested in Donner Pass history, also read up on the stranded train full of passengers, stuck in 1952.  Took three days and the life of one of the rescuers to get the passengers out, and weeks to get train out and the railroad operating again.

Most years they would be right, including this past year.  I was able to keep going up to the high Sierra even over 108 and 4 through late October-early November this past year.  Sometimes you just get a freak start to the winter season and I would imagine it was much more common in the mid-1800s. 

It is pretty amazing to think that 1846 really wasn't that long ago and how little was really known about what is now the western desert states.   The Donner Party crossing is really what was the instigator for the next notable disaster in crossing the Sierras in 1849 when another party was looking for a short cut to Walker Pass.  Eventually they found what they were looking for, but not before finding Groom Lake (Area 51), Death Valley, and really most of the Mojave on their way.  At least they were right about Walker Pass being a viable winter crossing of the Sierra.

https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/historyculture/the-lost-49ers.htm

gonealookin

It looks like there will be more opportunities for bad decisions this upcoming weekend.  This is for the Sunday storm, and notice that the estimates are at the lower elevation towns; there will be much more as you go up into the mountains.  (Also:  nice highway shields on the National Weather Service graphics, much better than the usual newspaper graphics.)

(Edit:  Image posted on Photobucket deleted)

Max Rockatansky

^^^

But it should be pretty scenic come Wednesday once the storms clear....might need to venture up to Yosemite finally for the season....granted on 140.  :rolleyes:

hm insulators

As the signature of one of our regular posters proclaims, "GPS is not G-O-D."
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

ZLoth

Quote from: hm insulators on January 20, 2017, 03:00:22 PM
As the signature of one of our regular posters proclaims, "GPS is not G-O-D."
No, GPS is not G-O-D. It is a tool, just like a map (paper or online), road atlas, compass, roadside information signs, and signs on a roadway. And, it is only as good as the information provided and the person who is using it.

My problem is with people who read stories like this and instantly pronounce that "GPS is no good!!!!" No, the problem is with the users who don't THINK!!!!!

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

NE2

And now I can't use the Goog to show me the distance along Dog Valley Road for historical research purposes. What the fuck.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

Google Maps doesn't even try to display a difference between a dirt/gravel road from a paved one; using a light gray line over the satellite view of a road is a poor choice...so one could think that they're about to drive on pavement.

On a PC, you can zoom in and look to see if it's a dirt road, but it's quite hard to tell on a phone.

gonealookin

The current closure of US 50 between Placerville and South Lake Tahoe due to a mudslide reminds me that a signed "Alternate US 50" exists, partly using Mormon Emigrant Trail, but it's unavailable in winter.  If somebody's GPS routes them that way, I don't know if the smiling patrolman is there to turn them around, but one hopes they notice the sign:

(Edit:  Image posted on Photobucket deleted)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1910932165806977

The available route from the valley to South Lake Tahoe is, get to Jackson, take CA 88 east over Carson Pass to CA 89 in Hope Valley, then CA 89 north over Luther Pass to Meyers.  Beyond the intersection of Mormon Emigrant Trail and CA 88 that is coincident with Alternate US 50.  I was in Meyers earlier today and noticed that the rarely-used Alternate US 50 sign remains covered up.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.