News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

States that suck at signing

Started by OCGuy81, January 28, 2017, 11:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 04, 2017, 10:17:03 PM
Surprised CT hasn't been mentioned yet.  Absolutely horrible in comparison to MA and NY, who put mile markers and reference route signs on all state maintained highway.  The section of I-84 I drive on often through Greater Hartford has so many missing mileposts, and many of the ones there are illegible. Also, CT (except in one spot), does not label the beginning and endpoints of state routs like most states do.  But the thing that sucks the most: reflective button copy signs that are grossly outdated like this one:

Pretty much every sign in Connecticut is hideous:

The state route marker design is probably the ugliest in the entire country.  There are frequent cheapo wooden signs posted all over the place like the ones above in my own little collection.  The wear isn't worse than elsewhere they just appear that way due to the signage being posted far longer than it should be.

hbelkins

I don't think most states sign the ends of highways. The first time I ever saw the practice was in West Virginia. To me it seems to be the exception rather than the norm. Kentucky doesn't, and neither do our neighbors Virginia, Tennessee or Missouri. I don't think Illinois does it consistently. Indiana, Ohio and West Virginia are the only neighboring states that do it on a statewide basis.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

billpa

Quote from: hbelkins on February 04, 2017, 11:31:49 PM
I don't think most states sign the ends of highways. The first time I ever saw the practice was in West Virginia. To me it seems to be the exception rather than the norm. Kentucky doesn't, and neither do our neighbors Virginia, Tennessee or Missouri. I don't think Illinois does it consistently. Indiana, Ohio and West Virginia are the only neighboring states that do it on a statewide basis.
Speaking of WV, I think they have some of the best signage, especially when it comes to marking side roads off of state highways.

SM-T230NU

cl94

Funny, the only state I've spent a lot of time on the surface in that doesn't sign them is Massachusetts. In addition to the states already mentioned, Maine, New York, Pennsylvania and Vermont sign ends pretty consistently.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: cl94 on February 05, 2017, 02:58:12 PM

Funny, the only state I've spent a lot of time on the surface in that doesn't sign them is Massachusetts. In addition to the states already mentioned, Maine, New York, Pennsylvania and Vermont sign ends pretty consistently.

MA has started the practice now, especially along interstates:

https://goo.gl/maps/RQ75LMsF2S42  (END I-84)
https://goo.gl/maps/6MAt4pe5JXE2 (BEGIN I-84)

https://goo.gl/maps/JEuLrfp8gcJ2 (END MA 21, but interesting, no mention of END MA 141 which also ends here)
MA 57 at the Agawam rotary: https://goo.gl/maps/ZFg9mJLctaQ2
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

cl94

I thought I had seen end assemblies in Massachusetts, just couldn't find any on GSV
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buck87

Interesting, I'm so used to seeing them I never would have thought of it as being something that's somewhat rare. Ohio does do a good job posting route end signs, though I didn't notice the other day that there isn't one at US 250's end at US 6 in Sandusky. 

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Buck87 on February 05, 2017, 08:15:49 PM

Interesting, I'm so used to seeing them I never would have thought of it as being something that's somewhat rare. Ohio does do a good job posting route end signs, though I didn't notice the other day that there isn't one at US 250's end at US 6 in Sandusky. 

I seem to recall Colorado was not good at end signage.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

cpzilliacus

No mention of the District of Columbia (for the purposes of highways and transportation, D.C. is a state).

It is not possible to follow any of the U.S. routes that cross D.C. (U.S. 1; U.S. 29; and U.S. 50) or the one  bannered route that has a terminus in D.C. (Alternate U.S. 1) without an accurate map or GPS. 

There are a few reassurance markers, but the turns that these routes make are all unsigned (and Alternate U.S. 1 (with one incorrect exception) is not signed at all in D.C.).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

SidS1045

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 05, 2017, 05:31:24 PM

https://goo.gl/maps/JEuLrfp8gcJ2 (END MA 21, but interesting, no mention of END MA 141 which also ends here)

There are at least two END 128 signs:  One right before the MA 127 junction in Gloucester (shown on 128's Wikipedia page) and the other at the I-95/I-93 junction in Canton.  At the latter point there is also a BEGIN 128 sign.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Alex

Delaware certainly falls within this category. The state is good for inconsistent signage, carbon copies of carbon copies, using non-standard logos for a variety of things, etc.

Just finished posting all of the photos I took from my drive across Sussex County last month. Some examples of poor signing:

U.S. 13 south at U.S. 9, this is the lone shield. No JCT assembly.

Approaching Delaware 5 on Delaware 24 east, you get this hanging JCT assembly and nothing else. Then a trailblazer for Delaware 5 afterwards.

Delaware 5 and 23 overlap southward to Delaware 23, where they split. Delaware 5 turns west on Delaware 24, while Delaware 23 continues south to Masseys Landing. You would not know that based upon signage:

Delaware 20 west approaches U.S. 9. This is the lone assembly posted. No west/east shields, no confirming marker for Delaware 20 after wards.

Next Left / Next Right, x3

Beaches...

Delaware 26 east at the merge with Delaware 20

These lifeguard tower trailblazers are all over the state, but this was the first time I found it as a stand alone assembly.

roadman

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 05, 2017, 05:31:24 PM

Actually, Massachusetts began providing END markers, also advance ENDS 1 1/2 MILE signs, on their Interstates and freeways in 2004, at the same time they installed a large number of post-interchange distance signs.  The markers and signs were installed at the request of then Governor Romney.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

dvferyance

Actually I have found Illinois to be very consistent in signing the ends of their highways. In fact even more so than Wisconsin becasue Wisconsin typically doesn't sign the end of a highway at a state line Illinois usually does. I think your right on Virginia as I saw both ends of VA-122 and the southern end of VA-116 as well as a couple others not one end sign anywhere.

index

Quote from: billpa on February 05, 2017, 09:26:11 AM
Speaking of WV, I think they have some of the best signage, especially when it comes to marking side roads off of state highways.

SM-T230NU

Signage along WV-72 (or does WV use SR for their state roads) is very good, especially for a one lane state highway through the middle of nowhere. All county routes, and what I believe are national forest routes are also signed. The ridiculously narrow gravel pathways to homes are signed if they have a name.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

thenetwork

I don't think most states sign the ends of highways. Indiana, Ohio and West Virginia are the only neighboring states that do it on a statewide basis.

Michigan says "Hi".

thenetwork

There USED to be...

hotdogPi

Quote from: thenetwork on February 07, 2017, 07:34:15 PM
I don't think most states sign the ends of highways. Indiana, Ohio and West Virginia are the only neighboring states that do it on a statewide basis.

Michigan says "Hi".

TIL Michigan touches Kentucky
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

roadman65

New Jersey was one of them, but got better in the late 1990's at it. However in some places they still suck at signing like for NJ 27 on US 22, and even NJ 27 from NJ 21.  I have not been to Wildwood in a long time, but I will guess NJ 47 is not signed from the main N-S thoroughfares.

Although, not a state, but DC had been in the department of scarce to none for its three US routes for a while.  I even heard some shields were removed and never replaced with new ones including that erroneous Interstate US 50 shields on NW 14th Street near the Washington Mall that used to direct motorists on NB US 1 to US 50 West being no direct left turns allowed at Constitution Avenue.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Buck87

Quote from: thenetwork on February 07, 2017, 07:35:07 PM

There USED to be...

That intersection was recently redone as part of the overall US 250 project in Sandusky and Perkins Township, and now has new signals and signage. 

sparker

Of the three Pacific Coast (non-AK) states, the most consistent and well-placed signage would have to be in Washington.  Junctions, even in urban areas, have readily visible trailblazers that seem to be always in good condition.  Oregon's in 2nd place; while rural signage is still quite good (I'd give it a B+), urban signage tends to be spotty (e.g., US 26 from the Ross Island Bridge to the tunnels).  ODOT doesn't seem to be terribly interested in maintaining through routes in the PDX area -- an attitude echoed by Portland itself. 

California is positioning itself as the Atlanta Falcons of the world of state signage -- they came out strong in the beginning, but started their downslide in the '90's, and seemed to lose interest in anything they couldn't put on a freeway BGS after the turn of the century.  I'm sure money (or the lack thereof) has a lot to do with it; signage is likely well down Caltrans' priority list, and enforcing post-relinquishment continuity requirements is even closer to the bottom of that list.  The bottom line is -- just make sure your GPS is working properly when in CA! :eyebrow:

jakeroot

Quote from: thenetwork on February 07, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Michigan says "Hi".

You should cut out the second sentence in your quote of HB. You're replying to sentence one, but syntax suggests that you're replying to sentence two (and suggesting that Michigan neighbours Kentucky).

wanderer2575

There USED to be...

I took this photo almost exactly a year ago -- it's gone now?!

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Buck87

Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 08, 2017, 02:11:44 AM

There USED to be...

I took this photo almost exactly a year ago -- it's gone now?!

Yeah, it's gone now...

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.