News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Daily Clinches

Started by frankenroad, January 31, 2017, 11:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankenroad

Every day, I clinch OH-562 twice, once on the way to work and once on the way home.   It's only about 2 1/2 miles, so it's easily done.

Anyone else have a daily clinch?   How long is yours?
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Max Rockatansky

Neither of these are current but the only daily commute clinches that I ever had were AZ 51 and FL 551.  As of the moment I don't really have a daily commute per se, granted a lot out of town work travel does include regularly clinching state highways and county routes in California.

jp the roadgeek

For about 5 years, I would clinch CT 120 in both directions (it's only 3.1 miles long). 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Rothman

I used to clinch NY 335 daily, but I moved and my commute changed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

doorknob60

I almost clinch I-184 twice a day. But, I get off at the Fairview exit, which is basically part of the interchange where it ends, but I don't clinch it. I used to though, before I realized Fairview is usually faster (especially in the morning/eastbound).

hbelkins

If I wanted, I could clinch either KY 498 or KY 1144 on my way to or from work.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

dgolub

Not at the moment, but there were times during my childhood when I would clinch NY 101 or Nassau CR 15 on a daily basis.

renegade

Yes.  I clinch M-17 from Ypsilanti to just outside Ann Arbor every day.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

bulldog1979

For a few weeks, I'd clinch I-296 daily on the way to work.

1995hoo

For about eight years I clinched VA-401 almost every morning on the way to work (took a different route home in the afternoons). That ended when I stopped working downtown. I now work downtown again at a different location but I don't get pretax parking, so most days we don't drive and when we do we usually go a different way.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Duke87

The closest I can really claim was that semester in college where I was commuting to class from home. The fastest route involved driving the entire length of the Cross County Parkway. Of course, I frequently would take a different route home to mix things up. And I only made this commute four days a week.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

jwolfer

At my old job i would clinch Florida SR224( Kingsley Ave) in Orange Park almost every day

LGMS428

sparker

For a while back about 2003-04 I was commuting between my home in Anaheim and my work in Ontario; to avoid the bi-directional problems on both CA 57 and CA 91 I'd clinch CA 142 (contraflow!) between Placentia and Chino Hills at least 3 days per week.  This lasted until I tired of the commute (and ever-increasing Anaheim rent) and moved out to Redlands.

MNHighwayMan

For a semester or two when I studied at Des Moines Area Community College in Ankeny, I used to clinch IA-160 occasionally, as I'd go buy groceries after class - supermarket was at the west end of 160, and to get home I needed to travel to the east end at I-35.

TheHighwayMan3561

I used to daily-clinch the "true" MN 101 from Rogers to Elk River when I was in grade school.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

epzik8

I used to have a weekly clinch, which was Maryland Route 646 every Saturday.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Rothman

Forgot that I used to clinch I-535 every morning as well when I lived in Superior, WI and worked in Duluth, MN.  Shortest commute I've ever had -- I lived right on Hammond Ave and worked on Michigan St on the western end of downtown Duluth.  No rush hour traffic whatsoever up there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

briantroutman

When I lived in Harrisburg and was taking classes at the Penn State campus near the airport, I'd cover the entire length of I-283 at least once a day if not more. I'd also include the Airport Connector, but by exiting at PA 230 and not traversing the overpass to the airport, I think that falls short of a "clinch" .

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 01, 2017, 08:18:18 AM
I used to daily-clinch the "true" MN 101 from Rogers to Elk River when I was in grade school.

What, you mean you didn't teleport to the other two remaining disconnected segments?  :-D

cl94

When working for the MPO in Buffalo, there were quite a few days I daily clinched NY 198 or NY 400 depending on where we were doing counts. Also daily clinched NY 270 a few times.

Not on my commute, but I clinch both NY 377 and NY 378 pretty often. 378 is typically the easiest way to get between Troy and the Colonie Center area and 377 allows me to bypass evening rush traffic heading home if I'm coming from the southwest.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Jim

It's not even close to daily, but I do teach skiing at Royal Mountain in Caroga Lake on Saturdays during the winter.  The ride there includes clinching New York 10A.

Before the Exit 26 bridge opened, I used to clinch New York 103 pretty much daily during my commute to college.

Now, it's not part of my daily commute, but when I don't take the Thruway between 27 and 26 to get to or from work or whatever else I'm doing out that way, I clinch New York 890.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

SectorZ

I clinched I-190 from Leominster to Worcester MA southbound everyday going to work when I lived in Fitchburg. Going home I got on a bit north of 290 so didn't clinch the northbound portion with any frequency.

I clinch County P in Menasha, WI, every day to and from work.  It's about 2 1/2 miles long.

On a related note, they recently removed the traffic lights at P and AP; these lights had been there since spring 2015 because of increased traffic due to construction.  Lights on both sides of the nearby County AP/US 10 interchange were also removed.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

mefailenglish

Before I moved to Florida, my daily commute included a daily clinch of unsigned MD 995, all 1/2 mile of it.

empirestate

Pretty easy for me to clinch NY 403, although the commute that allows it is far from daily, and even if it were, there's a more direct route I almost always use instead.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.